Include Images in Mss Sample?

surviva316

Registered
Reaction score
I have an image in the first 5 pages of my mss that's too important to remove completely. However, I know that email programs are wary of emails from strangers that include images (Gmail, for example, makes you click "Display Images").

There is a compromise I can make that gets across the main point of the image so that it doesn't break the flow, but it is obviously much better if the image can just sit there and speak for itself.

Do you recommend leaving the image in there and assume that they'll allow the images or should I make the compromise?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I have an image in the first 5 pages of my mss that's too important to remove completely.

How so?

I don't know submission guidelines for graphic novels, or illustrated stories, but anything else should not contain images. If you're querying a novel/novella, leave the images out.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I have an image in the first 5 pages of my mss that's too important to remove completely. However, I know that email programs are wary of emails from strangers that include images (Gmail, for example, makes you click "Display Images").

There is a compromise I can make that gets across the main point of the image so that it doesn't break the flow, but it is obviously much better if the image can just sit there and speak for itself.

Do you recommend leaving the image in there and assume that they'll allow the images or should I make the compromise?

I'd not include the image, but you could still refer to it somehow if it's essential. Like this, perhaps?

[image not included in submission]

That way, you'll make clear that there should be an image there but you've chosen to leave it out.

I assume you drew the image yourself, and if not, it's a public domain image (which isn't the same thing as being available online) or one in which you own all rights. Because otherwise, you're in for a few problems if you do find an interested publisher.

surviva316

Registered
Reaction score

The narrator sees the image and makes several references to it in the proceeding dialog.

After rereading the one-sentence place-holder description that I can enter in the narration, it's not so bad so I'll probably just go with that. Risking that the agent won't view images is one thing, but I also don't want to scare purists away right off the bat.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you're asked for a full, and the map is required, include it.

If the map is optional then I'd probably leave it out: any publishers will probably commission their own artworks for the book, so it's not going to be necessary anyway.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, in picture books, the image tells a portion of the story. In this case, the essential detail that would be in the image is included as an illustration note like this, "(Note: The dog runs off with the shoe.)" This is only done if the text itself doesn't hint at what would be in the image. Only use a note if the text does not make sense without it.

In your case, another image with the same elements the character describes could work fine. You may not need a place holder at all. Characters often describe things the reader doesn't see. What does the image itself add to the story?

Is this the only image included in the manuscript? If so, that might make it seem strange and out of place.

Last edited: