Stand-Alone vs. Series in Queries

Levico

lookin' for werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I had a thought preparing a query letter for future use. Query letters are meant to sell your book, obviously, and in some cases the complete story lies in others to follow.

When is it, or is it even appropriate to mention that your proposed book is meant to be part of a series (trilogy, quadrilogy, what have you)? The following books are important, but you're not selling them to the agent/publisher. How much say in a letter do future installments deserve?

Let's hear your thoughts.
~Lev

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
"Has series potential" -- that's what you say in the query letter.

You're selling that single book, as a stand-alone without any connection to the series... until the publisher is interested in a series. You query agents/editors that single book and add "it has series potential" somewhere in the letter, and when they represent you, you talk about the possible series if they are interested.

To be clear, your first book should be able to hold it's own without the other books as a stand-alone. If the publisher is interested, they could ask you to alter it so it would have a pinch more connection to the other books.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to query as a stand alone. Reason...

Some agents and editors are series shy. Not to say they don't want them, but from a query standpoint, they haven't read the manuscript yet and we don't want to scare them away.

In my experience, most agents and editors are quick to see the series potential of any manuscript they read, but the fact is, they still have to sell the first one, and generally as a stand alone on its own merits.

Once they have read the manuscript and contact you with an offer of representation, then that is the time to talk with them to see how receptive they are...

Also, most publishers are hesitant to commit to a series from an author with no previous sales history. Of course, this does not stop publishers from including language in a contract on first dibs of future novels set in the same world or involving the same characters. You know, just in case the first one does sell.

Or so is my opinion...

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
My current query says "I'm seeking representation for The Steampunk Novel, complete at 94k with series potential."

Just a thought, though. If you mention that it's part of a potential series you should probably have at least a brief outline of where the plot goes for the next couple of books. Because sometimes an agent will ask about that and it's better not to have to scramble to put those ideas down on paper.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard agents say "If the publisher doesn't buy the first one, there is no series." So, I'd go with standalone with series potential as well. Even if a book is purchased, if it doesn't go over well with readers, the series may not happen.

Also I think if I were an agent, I'd be wary of an author who is too attached to an entire series. What if it doesn't sell? Can you write something else? Do you have other ideas? Have you poured your heart into three books when you could've been writing other marketable things?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
On the flip-side to what Wampuscat is saying, if an agent/publisher is looking for someone to keep for a career then knowing there's a series in mind can be a plus. Even if the series doesn't pan out/sell they know that you have more than one book in you. (Or at least you think you have more than one book in you.)