PDA

View Full Version : Do you write under a pen name?

ilookcool
10-16-2013, 12:35 AM
As the title. If you do, do you query agents with your real name or pen name?

I don't like my real name but quite like my pen name :)

Cella
10-16-2013, 01:06 AM
I think it's protocol to query under your real name and when the time comes to publish your work, you discuss your preference with the agent.

:)

jvc
10-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Or, write the query under the name you want to use, and sign off the email with "Bob Bobby writing as Tim Timmy."

Izz
10-16-2013, 02:10 AM
As the title. If you do, do you query agents with your real name or pen name?Real name.

My pen name goes in the byline on the cover page.

Randy Lee
10-16-2013, 02:55 AM
I've read elsewhere that some agents google your name. My name is as common as dirt. They won't find me. Unless perhaps I put a pen name in the query. Obviously, I would have to use my real name when I sign the letter, but it also seems obvious that I should also make the pen name known, as jvc suggested.

Siri Kirpal
10-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I query using both names. Since I prefer to be called by my pen name/spiritual name, I list it first, then list the legal name under it. Yes, I designate which is which.

I might add that I have queried successfully (to publishers) using my pen name only, and explained the situation AFTER they offered a contract. No problems.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

gingerwoman
10-16-2013, 10:53 AM
My husband asked me to write under a pen name for erotica and erotic romance and then forgot he ever asked.

Jamesaritchie
10-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Pseudonyms are meant be used as bylines, not for general correspondence, and certainly not for contracts, or for secrecy from an agent or publisher.

You'll have to sign contracts using your real name, whether that contract is an agent or a publisher. There is no reason not to use your real name, and several reasons, a couple of them involving legalities, that mean you should use your real name.

ARoyce
10-19-2013, 10:10 PM
In queries, I signed with:

REAL NAME writing as PEN NAME

When I sent requested partials/fulls, I also used that "writing as" under the title and used the pseudonym last name with page numbering.

For contracts, I use my real name. For my publisher's contract, I had options to specify which name to use for legal documents, which name to use for promotion/marketing, and which to use for copyright.