PDA

View Full Version : If your book is more than one genre- who to query?

HoldinHolden
10-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Hi all! I'm back with another question (I'm sorry!)

My book that is currently out for querying is a non-fiction parenting humor book. I have pretty much queried everyone who sounded like a good fit that list themselves as those who represent both parenting & humor. Now what?

Is it normal/acceptable to query an agent who, say, represents humor but not parenting, or vice-versa?

I don't want to waste anyone's time if they won't even consider it, nor my own querying agents I am likely to not even stand a chance with.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

folkchick
10-15-2013, 07:07 PM
I say that if an agent represents humor, and your book has elements of humor, then send it. Might as well try and see what happens.

HoldinHolden
10-15-2013, 07:17 PM
It's ALL humor, but humor about my kids. I just realized one agent I queried reps a parenting humor book, but only lists humor on her site. Duh. Green light! Off I go to drown in e-mails again. Thanks for the reply!

Siri Kirpal
10-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Send to any agent who reps either. Especially those that say they're up for any sort of non-fiction. But I'm guessing those who take parenting would be better, as nearly all agents will take something that's funny.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

HoldinHolden
10-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Send to any agent who reps either. Especially those that say they're up for any sort of non-fiction. But I'm guessing those who take parenting would be better, as nearly all agents will take something that's funny.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

I'm not so sure! What pops into my head when I think of straight parenting books is advice, rainbows and butterflies, information, etc. My work (including my previous self-pubbed work and my blog) are brutally honest potty-mouthed humor. It's hard for me to think about sending it to a straight forward rainbows and butterflies information parenting agent and being able to hear their jaw hit the table. Of course, I make the content of the book known in the query, but do you get what I'm getting at?

On the other side, an agent that reps humor but not parenting also might not be expecting explosive diaper-change stories.

Or maybe either would love it and I'm just over-thinking things like I usually do!

Siri Kirpal
10-15-2013, 10:18 PM

Try both. You may get more rejections, but you might also hit the jackpot.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

HoldinHolden
10-16-2013, 12:18 AM
That is what I decided to do, and hoping for the best! I still have a bunch of queries out and a handful of proposals to those who are listed as parenting & humor, I just like to keep things moving. I'm not good at waiting silently!

Nekko
10-16-2013, 01:21 AM
I'm not so sure! What pops into my head when I think of straight parenting books is advice, rainbows and butterflies, information, etc. My work (including my previous self-pubbed work and my blog) are brutally honest potty-mouthed humor. It's hard for me to think about sending it to a straight forward rainbows and butterflies information parenting agent and being able to hear their jaw hit the table. Of course, I make the content of the book known in the query, but do you get what I'm getting at?

On the other side, an agent that reps humor but not parenting also might not be expecting explosive diaper-change stories.

Or maybe either would love it and I'm just over-thinking things like I usually do!

First - Parenting books that are all butterflies and rainbows rarely have any real workable parenting advice.
Of course, I may be a wee bit biased. My husband's a family therapist and has written a parenting book that was 100% butterfly-and-basket-of-kittens free.

He also included a fair amount of humor and stories involving our boys. I don't think everyone looking for a parenting book is looking for the rainbows, etc. You're synopsis/blurb will give potential readers a heads up on what to expect.

Second - what's the worst thing that can happen as a result of querying a publisher who doesn't think your book is a fit for their publishing house?
a) a 'no thank you' note b) slightly crushed ego
So really, there's no harm in submitting to them. Now, a modicum of research into other titles they carry might not be a bad idea. If a publisher only puts out say, Christian books, your potty mouth accounts of life with your kids -- not likely a good match, and not worth your query time.

Best of luck!

HoldinHolden
10-16-2013, 01:27 AM
Now, a modicum of research into other titles they carry might not be a bad idea. If a publisher only puts out say, Christian books, your potty mouth accounts of life with your kids -- not likely a good match, and not worth your query time.

Best of luck!

Oh trust me, that is the FIRST thing I do! I do a lot of research on each agent before I decide to submit to them- especially because of my 4-letter word usage. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing spaghetti at a wall it would never stick to!