PDA

View Full Version : Organ failure: How many organs is too many?

njmagas
10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm writing my first horror story and the climax calls for a character to die by slow torture. My question is, in a non-medical situation, which and how many organs could be reasonably compromised before the character succumbed to shock and/or death? There is an element of supernatural in the story so I can, to a degree fall back on 'magic did it', but I'd prefer to be as accurate as possible. A situation where the scene could continue over two or three days if possible would be best.

Thanks for your help!

sheadakota
10-15-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm writing my first horror story and the climax calls for a character to die by slow torture. My question is, in a non-medical situation, which and how many organs could be reasonably compromised before the character succumbed to shock and/or death? There is an element of supernatural in the story so I can, to a degree fall back on 'magic did it', but I'd prefer to be as accurate as possible. A situation where the scene could continue over two or three days if possible would be best.

Thanks for your help!

you can die from multi systems organ failure. This is usually caused by a domino effect where one system shuts down, causing the next to go and so on. the cause can be a host of things with sepsis being high on the list. However respiratory problems can lead to acidosis which can lead to kidney failure, which can lead to sepsis which can then lead to multi shut down of all systems. same if cardio is your main culprit. In the case of torture I am thinking either blood loss leading to hemorrhagic shock or depending on how long the torture goes on , possibly sepsis leading to septic shock leading to- well multi systems failure. Three days might not be long enough to cause septic death. Death by blood loss is not going to give you a long drawn out death. If your victim is young and healthy and magic is involved anything is possible. it would be best if you wrote the scene, then asked specific questions.

njmagas
10-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks sheadakota!

The torture I'm envisioning is necrotic by way of a fast growing fungus that decays an immobile, living host. If I start in the abdominal area, could that delay hemorrhagic shock long enough for sepsis or multi system failure to do the rest? If it takes longer than three days, that's fine. I only need a time period greater than a few hours or a day for the main character to observe the slow process of the death.

Thank you very much again. A lot of the stuff I'd found online related only to what organs could be supplanted with medical intervention.

Chekurtab
10-19-2013, 07:26 AM
The flesh-eating fungus is not so far-fetched. You can google "necrotizing fasciitis" for the symptoms. The disease is usually cause by bacteria, not fungus, but you'll get the idea. Unrescusitated sepsis will kill your MC in days depending on the severity of the infection and MC's health.
I hope it helps.

oakbark
10-19-2013, 02:50 PM
If the process is slow enough the host can probably survive more pain/damage than a fast attack on the body which (i assume) would shock the body in a bad way.

One problem with lengthy pain / torture may be the faltering willingness of a host to continue living. I have always believed that once the will goes the body follows.