What pop-culture thing is currently going to spell doom for society?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
So, we've been through rock music, goth, Dungeons and Dragons, video games and what have you as that evil thing kids are doing these days that will corrupt society. You'll still hear people bleat about video games now and then but the real furor seems to have mostly died down.

So what is it these days? I can't seem to really think of anything that terrifies the older generation and has cranky pundits spelling doom. Are we in a lull right now or has modern society become so connected and savvy and cynical that people don't get worked up in the same way as before?
I'm not sure I can believe the second option, seeing as people have been getting hysterical about the kids these days since forever, but I sure would like to.

Thoughts?

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
What I see that bothers me most are some of these teen trends of videotaping themselves doing really stupid things and posting them everywhere they can think of. There's been the drink a gallon of milk and keep it down, the eat a tablespoon of cinnamon, and one I just heard of - "twipping". Fall down the stairs and videotape the fall. My teens' high school went through a bit of a scandal last year when a group of girls took nude shots of themselves and started passing them around for money that everyone split.

So I have to say that cell phones with video cameras are definitely dangerous in the wrong hands.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
The Kardashians. People that infinitely stupid should never be wealthy.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if my grandparents are anything to go by, it's gang violence that will tip us over the edge. Not sure what pop-culture influences the gangs have...

Pokemon maybe?

No... Too obvious... Oh, I know! Doing anything that adults like doing, but doing it a little bit more than this particular adult would do themself!

That's a common one, I think. "Oh, they need to learn to drink *responsibly*." Although I suppose that's more a new adult thing than a teen thing (or maybe not?).

I really don't know what is meant to corrupt society at this point.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... part of it may be that modern gizmos* are so useful.
Excluding Torgo, most peeps adore them, from age 5 to 105,
to such extent that the gizmos have almost become essential.
Hard to be cynical about something so vital !

* cellphones, ipads, iphones, kindles, etc.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
There still is a panic that people are withdrawing from the real world to go into the virtual world. Like, "Oh, you have 100 online friends? They don't count! Go outside and make some *real* friends!"

What these naysayers don't seem to understand is that those 100 online friends *are* real friends. Just because you haven't physically touched them doesn't mean they're not real people. Or does it? *eyes AW suspiciously* No, they're real.

It's just a different method of communication, that's all. Yet there is a panic about it, though it might be slipping away a bit now. But even comedians in recent years have been making jokes about how people these days have no skills to pass on to their kids/friends other than things regarding video games and the like.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
There still is a panic that people are withdrawing from the real world to go into the virtual world. Like, "Oh, you have 100 online friends? They don't count! Go outside and make some *real* friends!"

What these naysayers don't seem to understand is that those 100 online friends *are* real friends. Just because you haven't physically touched them doesn't mean they're not real people. Or does it? *eyes AW suspiciously* No, they're real.

It's just a different method of communication, that's all. Yet there is a panic about it, though it might be slipping away a bit now. But even comedians in recent years have been making jokes about how people these days have no skills to pass on to their kids/friends other than things regarding video games and the like.

I disagree. It underestimates the importance of non-verbal communication to begin with; a lot of nuance is lost online. I agree that there can be genuine 'online' friendships but I can't say the ones I've experienced are the same as my friends in 'real life'.
As for romantic relationships, I don't think any relationship where people don't spend enough time together to risk getting bored of one another is a real relationship. At least not a serious one.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Katy Perry, twerking (you listening, Jeh?:D) acronyms, and Paris Hilton, only because I hate Paris Hilton for being Paris Hilton like I hate Miley Cyrus for having a weird name and Justin Beiber for obvious reasons.

Other than that, I'm fine, thanks for asking seeyakthanksbye.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Katy Perry, twerking (you listening, Jeh?:D) acronyms, and Paris Hilton, only because I hate Paris Hilton for being Paris Hilton like I hate Miley Cyrus for having a weird name and Justin Beiber for obvious reasons.

Other than that, I'm fine, thanks for asking seeyakthanksbye.
That "kthanksbye" meme.

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
Pshaw! I've still got my eye on those leather jackets and blue jeans those greasers are wearing! That ain't no proper way to dress! Damn motorcycle hoodlums'll be the death of us all, mark my words.