Was this a referral?

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Hi again, all!

Over the past week, I sent my query letter out to an agent that didn't specifically list my genres, but had a general "looking for nonfiction" line in what she is looking for. She wrote back a few hours later saying that while she laughed out loud (which is good, since my book is nonfic parenting humor) she hasn't had luck selling in my area, BUT, I should "RIGHT NOW" e-mail my query to her friend, who just so happened to be an agent at my dream agency, and that she would be calling to give her a heads up. Even gave me something specific to put in the subject line, and a different e-mail than the normal query e-mail this agent uses.

With all of that confusion out of the way, I guess what my question is, was that a referral? If so/not, should I expect to wait the same amount of time for a reply as a normal query? I have no idea how this works, or if this was normal. I do have to admit that it really excited me because she seemed to think I was the perfect fit for her agent friend. I always try NOT to get my hopes up, but here I am, 3 days later (I KNOW, not long at all!) scratching my head because I have no idea what I should be expecting, if anything.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

What are you waiting for? That was definitely a referral. Go ahead and send the query!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Oh, Siri! I did! Did I not make that clear? I may not have. I sent over the query immediately! I responded to the first agent confirming to her that I had sent the query to her friend (agent #2). What I was asking was if it was a referral (which you answered, and yay!) and how long should I expect to wait for a referral?
With the phonecall she was making to give her agent friend a heads up, and the subject line (which I was told to put "'agent name' says to open right now" I had expected it to be rather swift. I don't know if that is an incorrect assumption to have made.

Am I still being confusing? I'm still slightly confused myself!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It definitely sounds like a referral to me, but as for how long it would take before she replies, whooo knows. It depends on the agent's personal schedule. But it's worth noting that the Frankfurt book festival is currently going on, so I wouldn't really expect to hear back from agents right now. Congrats on the referral though, how exciting!

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Thanks PutPutt! At least I can relax from driving myself nuts. It all happened so quickly, with the "write her RIGHT NOW with this in the subject line and I'm going to call her and tell her to look for your e-mail" I was slightly freaking out that it was an immediate 'if you don't do this right this second you will miss the window' type of thing. Talk about stressful!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't blame you for getting excited! I would be jumping up and down myself. When I was querying, one of the agents who rejected me referred me to her colleague, and I think I went, "Holy crapsauce" about five times a day. :D I got a full request from the colleague 1.5 weeks after getting rejected by the first agent, and then it was two months of silence until I nudged her with an offer, and then it was another week before she came back with an offer. But then I have a friend whose referral turned into an offer within a week, so...it really just depends on the agent's schedule. :) Try not to drive yourself crazy...my paws are crossed for you!

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
For someone who lacks the thing people call "patience", I sure did get myself into the wrong line of work!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Ah, thanks for the clarification. What Putputt said about times: depends on the agent...and what the agent has on his/her plate at the moment.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
You know the answer to that, right? Start the next book. :)
And good luck with the referral!