PDA

View Full Version : OK to Nudge?

Jessica_312
10-11-2013, 06:13 PM
So I sent in my requested novel revisions to an agent exactly one month ago today. I know it can take quite some time for an agent to get through a full manuscript, so it's not like I was already expecting an answer. However, sometimes I check this particular agent's twitter, and she'd apparently tweeted that she's been having trouble with her email and hasn't been receiving some messages. So of course, now I'm worried that she'd never even gotten my revisions and that she thinks I missed my deadline. But on the flip side, I'm worried that if I send an email and she HAD received my manuscript, that she'll think I'm just impatient.

Anyway, I know I may be severely overthinking this, but I could use some advice. I'm still new to this whole R&R request thing and I don't want to blow it over something trivial.

Thedrellum
10-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Jessica,

If she never responded to your e-mail with the R&R, then I'd probably send an e-mail. I'd mention what she said on Twitter about the e-mail problems and how you're checking up just to make sure the R&R got through.

Best of luck!

(I say the above because most of the agents who I'd had multiple contacts with made a point of letting me know the the "next step" was received from me.)

folkchick
10-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Agreeing with Thedrellum, send out another email saying yours might have been one of the lost emails and you just wanted to make sure she got it. Best of luck!

Aggy B.
10-11-2013, 08:00 PM
I would follow up to make certain she'd gotten the revisions.

I actually had a similar thing happen a month or so ago. I'd asked an agent if they wanted to see a revised MS (they were already looking at the full) and she said yes. Normally every email I've sent her way has gotten an auto-response within 24 hours, but this time... no response. So I waited about 4-5 days, then sent it again with a note to say "I didn't get an auto-response to the last email with the revised MS attached and just wanted to make sure it had gone through." That time I got another email (again within 24 hours) to confirm they had received it.

I've followed up with a few agents about receiving the material and not had anyone get upset about it. (Even one who didn't respond until she was sending the rejection on the full. And she noted that she appreciated that I had followed up and offered to let her see a revised MS.)

As long as you're polite (and not sending an email every day), following-up shows that you're invested and that's a positive quality for an agent to see.

Jessica_312
10-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I went ahead and sent an email. *fingers crossed* that she gets it.

Now, if she doesn't respond to THIS email, should I try contacting her in some other way in case her inbox is really that jacked up, or just assume that it's a "No"?

Thanks again, guys.

Thedrellum
10-12-2013, 02:52 AM
At that point, I'd consider it a wait-and-see (rather than a definite no) and continue on the query train.