PDA

View Full Version : No simultaneous queries/submissions

DennisB
10-11-2013, 12:47 AM
Just saw a submission guideline that stated (to the effect) that agent takes between three and six months to respond; that agent is too busy to send rejections and that a lack of response should be interpreted as a rejection; and that agent won't accept simultaneous or multiple queries.

Boy, that narrows things down, doesn't it?

Randy Lee
10-11-2013, 01:06 AM
Just saw a submission guideline that stated (to the effect) that agent takes between three and six months to respond; that agent is too busy to send rejections and that a lack of response should be interpreted as a rejection; and that agent won't accept simultaneous or multiple queries.

Boy, that narrows things down, doesn't it?

So when you get to six months of waiting, it might have been rejected three months before. Nice.

Cella
10-11-2013, 01:17 AM
and that agent won't accept simultaneous or multiple queries.

Maybe this means multiple / simultaneous submissions from the same author at a time...?

Tromboli
10-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I've seen some agents with very confusing guidelines and everytime they end up not meaning what it sounds like. They probably mean don't send to more than one agent at that agency or don't query them with more than one book at a time. Check the agency's thread in the background check section and check the comments for the agent on query tracker. Chances are someone else has had the same question and probably got an answer somehow or another.

mellymel
10-11-2013, 02:56 AM
Agree with Tromboli.

Re: agents requesting an exclusive, Janet Reid (a very reputable agent in the biz) posted this on her blog. She makes some valid points and I tend to not query agents who request an exclusive.

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2009/08/exclusives-stink.html

Canton
10-12-2013, 06:34 PM
I have come across that a few times, but it's rare actually. What have I done? Just queried anyway to cross them off as a rejection on my list. I don't give myself no better hope, I know.