Nottingham Forest Football Ground

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Any Forest fans on here?

I'm writing my Robin Hood post-apocalyptic story. The 'Wolfsheads' are camped out in what used to be City ground. How would you defend it against zombies?

I've got the general things covered, I think, blocked off turnstiles, trip wires and traps between stands and barbed wire on the roof. They're growing crops on the grass... goal posts could be tied in somewhere... hmm...

But what about inside? They need somewhere to live. I've never actually been inside a football ground. I know there must be changing rooms and offices. What else? I guess a big cafe. What about overnight rooms with beds?

Anything specific to Nottingham? I hadn't realised that the stands weren't connected at first. My group of outlaws are going to have to build walls to keep the zombies out.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
They may only have to build walls at one end though. And that end faces the river:

http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/club/cityground/

So it might not be as bad as it looks.

As for where to sleep, the boxes in the Main Stand would probably be best. Easy enough to get plenty of beds in them and access could be easily restricted when under attack.

How many people are living in the Ground?

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Those aerial photos are good. They didn't have many on the official site.

I've not really decided how many. A couple of dozen at least. Enough for my heroine to protect from the Sheriff at some point in the story, but not so many it sounds unbelievable.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
There's a nice big castle in Nottingham that might be useful :)

But yes, the changing rooms would be a good defensible spot for permanent living quarters - all underground and generally only one entrance.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know so much. If you can't see what's coming towards you, how would you know it needs defending? If not beds in the boxes, I would definitely make those look out posts.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, why aren't you using the Castle? Hell of a lot easier to defend.

Hello! Sheriff of Nottingham! He's living there of course. :)

The premise is...

The Sheriff is going to be a sort of self-appointed leader and has taken control of the castle and built a wall around the city. Robin has come back to Nottingham a deserter from the army after fighting rebels in the North. Marian is the Sheriff's ex-housemaid who led a rebellion out of Nottingham and settled a community in the football ground. Guy Gisborne will be in the castle with the Sheriff.

Look-out posts, good plan.

They are going to have trip wires set up around the stadium to alert them to an infiltration, I think.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Remember to have an emergency exit plan that only a few characters know about. Just in case the defence doesn't work and you need to abandon.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
There's a nice big castle in Nottingham that might be useful :)

But yes, the changing rooms would be a good defensible spot for permanent living quarters - all underground and generally only one entrance.

I never thought about them being underground before, but I suppose that makes sense seeing as the players always come out of those tunnel things onto the pitch.

I'm not much of a football fan, as you can probably tell! I might lurk on a few football forums for a while and quiz my boyfriend on football stadium layouts.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you ask them if you could visit and be shown round?

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I know I really should. I'm just a bit pressed for time. I've got a deadline of Nov 1st and all my spare time is spent looking at houses (house hunting, not writing related!).

I finish my job next week, so I might go then. I definitely want to look round the castle.

It could be worthwhile. The story is only planned to be about 5-10k but I might actually expand it into a YA trilogy at some point.

Last edited: