Nosey postman?

Waldo

Cracked the Story Code
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patrickhwaldron.blogspot.com
I submit regularly to a big national magazine and my recent submission came back without a rejection form, they kept my cover letter (as usual), the postage wasn't stamped over (I can use it again) and the envelope was pristine.

I have a feeling somebody from the post office was reading it. I have other envelopes that look like they have been across the country. URG!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I submit regularly to a big national magazine and my recent submission came back without a rejection form, they kept my cover letter (as usual), the postage wasn't stamped over (I can use it again) and the envelope was pristine.

I have a feeling somebody from the post office was reading it. I have other envelopes that look like they have been across the country. URG!

I'm confused. You think it was read by the postman because the envelope was undamaged?

I'm sure your writing's great, but most sorting and delivery staff don't have the time or the inclination to read the mail. They're too busy working. Occasionally I'll get a mauled envelope but the damage tends to resemble 'oh balls I stepped on it' or 'agh the machine mangled it'.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
It is weird that there wasn't a post mark. Maybe it's freepost or something?

I always clock the guilty looks in Staples when I get a manuscript print out. They usually say something like... 'did you write all that?'. They obviously read it! Maybe I should add buy links on the back page.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
It is weird that there wasn't a post mark. Maybe it's freepost or something?

I always clock the guilty looks in Staples when I get a manuscript print out. They usually say something like... 'did you write all that?'. They obviously read it! Maybe I should add buy links on the back page.

Ack! They read it? o_o That's so invasive...

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Ack! They read it? o_o That's so invasive...

I'm pretty sure they at least flick through it. For some reason it doesn't bother me. I get nervous when peers, friends or family read my book, but not strangers.

I often wonder what it's like working in somewhere that prints books - like Createspace, for instance. It must be fascinating working in the print department of Createspace. I bet they see all sorts!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Is it? I'm a little confused....it's a MS, surely you want people to read it?

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Is it? I'm a little confused....it's a MS, surely you want people to read it?

Depends whether it's finished or not I suppose. I get first drafts printed out, and they obviously aren't great. But if I worked in Staples I would also have a nosey, so it doesn't bother me!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well yeah... so would I! Never occured to me that someone would find it invasive.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My print shop also serve my rather conservative workplace. That's why I don't even try to use them for manuscripts--no faith in their discretion.