What do you associate with the Ouroboros?

BoltzmannBrain

Registered
Reaction score
I want to associate thename/symbol Ouroboros with one of my characters, but I am not certain that what I associate with the name is the same as what everyone else does. Wikipedia just lists every possible interpretation, but I would like to know which associations are most likely. Seeing as this is the pagan sub-forum, can you tell me what you associate with the name?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Personal associations? Mine is cycles, especially the regenerative and rebirth cycles in nature--birth to death to birth . . .

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say that I even know what it is (at least by that name), so I can't associate anything with it.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
The cyclical nature of things - destruction and regeneration, the birth-death cycle, etc. but in a self-manifesting way.

Also as an esoteric or alchemical symbol...

Curiously, Shiva - also a God of creation and destruction in Hindu lore - is usually depicted with a serpent coiled around his neck.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Cycles. The death/birth/death thing (unending as opposed to beginning-to-end). I'm surprised that no recycling company has picked up on it.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Cycles, especially destructive and self-destructive ones. I'm also faintly aware of it's alchemy connections (thank you, Full Metal Alchemist) but I don't really remember why the two are connected.

Last edited:

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
It literally translates as "serpent eating its own tail".
I have also always viewed it as a symbol of the duality of life/death, or the circle of birth/death/rebirth, the duality within ourselves and in nature.
The Norse serpent Jormungand encircled the Earth and placed his tail in his mouth to form an unbreakable chain that protected the Tree of Life.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I want to associate thename/symbol Ouroboros with one of my characters, but I am not certain that what I associate with the name is the same as what everyone else does. Wikipedia just lists every possible interpretation, but I would like to know which associations are most likely. Seeing as this is the pagan sub-forum, can you tell me what you associate with the name?

Honestly, mainly a really bad episode of the X-files

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, mainly a really bad episode of the X-files

Heh, I was going to say I dunno how helpful it'd be but the only real association I have with it, and certainly the immediate one, is the X-files and the spin-off, Milennium. I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

Makes me think of Scully's back and Jodie Foster as a tattoo. It wasn't THAT bad an episode. :p

Yasaibatake

is her own imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
Like most everyone else in the thread, I definitely think of cycles, but I rarely add in the destructive element without being specifically reminded of it.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The Neverending Story. Albeit that's a very stylized one. Good use of the symbol, too--cycles, yes, but also their destructive potential if they keep repeating.

Livilla

Registered
Reaction score
The Neverending Story. Albeit that's a very stylized one. Good use of the symbol, too--cycles, yes, but also their destructive potential if they keep repeating.

Yes, The Neverending Story was when I first learned about the symbol and concept. I never watched X-Files, but I just need to mention a Red Dwarf episode that is also titled Ourobouros.

Other than that, I agree with the basic "cyclical" interpretation, but I don't automatically associate the term (or the concept) with destruction.

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
Infinity and inward-focus. Instead of consuming something new, the ouroboros only re-consumes itself. Like only reading your own books.