Agent asking what other agents "reactions" are

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Hi all!

I have a non-fic parenting humor book in the querying process currently. I got a response from an agent today asking for my proposal + 2 sample chapters, which of course is normal, but she also asked to include in my proposal if I am querying other agents and "what their reactions were, if any."
What exactly is she looking for? Hers is the 4th request for proposal. Two agents passed already, and the third still has it. Does she want to know exactly what they thought? And how would you word something like that?

Thanks!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the agent would be asking that. One thing comes to mind, like she's asking because she wants to see if they think it's good too, or that it will sell? But if she was a good agent, wouldn't she know that already?

I mean, who cares what the other agents thought. If she thinks it will sell and perhaps maybe it will, why would she care what they thought of it? Sounds like lack of confidence to me.

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Undercover- I thought the same thing. That telling her why I was passed on by others (because if I weren't, I wouldn't need to send my proposal to her) would do nothing but muddy the waters. Granted, I didn't receive any scathing rejections, but the fact is I was rejected. I'm scratching my head here.
I've done my research on this agent and know her to be legit with sales under her belt, so I do want to send her my proposal and not following instructions would likely bite me, I'm just stuck on what to do here.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Then again, I'm not really sure with non-fiction proposals and stuff in that writing industry. Maybe non-fiction agents handle things differently? I don't see it as any major red flags or anything, just something that raises question.

I guess if you wanted to, you can tell her briefly of your submission status. I certainly wouldn't get into detail about it. I think if she started asking more questions after that, trying to get more into it, I would politely say "No, thanks." Cause by then, it really isn't necessary.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Could you say something a bit vague, like "I'm just beginning the querying process"? It's not a total lie, but it's not telling her that others have turned the MS down, either.

I can't see the upside of telling her that some of her peers have already considered and rejected the MS.

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
I can't see any upside in that, either. Even if I attempt to cleverly word it.
I am thinking perhaps I have to treat this as if I were dating and meeting the parents, the less they know about my past experience in dating, the better. I have only been querying for one month (today, to be exact!)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it sounds like you got yourself a couple of requests already and you're only at the start of it all still. Chances are you'll get more. I'm certain of it if you keep querying. Just remember this agent isn't the only agent out there, ya know?

I'd play it out and see how it goes. You may have another request and offer by the time she gets back to you. I do think you have a good strategy to this, the less the better. Just because you may not tell her every detail, it doesn't mean you're not being honest. But I wouldn't lie about it either. (doesn't sound like that's your thang anyway.)

Whatever happens, good luck and be careful too.

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Thanks Undercover. I prefer being brutally honest, but sometimes a little less is better! I only attempted querying my last book for about a month (it had already been self-pubbed for a year) before I decided to work on another book instead, so I am really fresh to this whole process and trying to figure it out and get it right!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it looks like you're doing a pretty good job so far. Just make sure these agents are reputable: Check Predators & Editors, Bewares here, and anything else you can find out about them before signing. And remember if and when you get an offer, ask every question you need to ask them to help solidify your decision.

I was on the fence about this one agent. I went with her beyond my better judgment and she was a big waste of my time. But once I fired her, I wound up selling that book anyway. So just remember, there's other options out there if the agent thing doesn't pan out. Don't just stop there, ya know? I think you do since you're already an indie author, having published already.

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Thanks for the insight! I do a decent amount of research before deciding on querying an agent, especially with the subject matter of my book (it's got a decent amount of curse words, which has proven not to be accepted everywhere like Mastercard is,) and I ALWAYS check the Beware section here. It's been very helpful! If there is one thing I am, it is obnoxiously persistent. I had to learn to be in the self-pubbing world!

I just sent out my proposal tailored to her requests, so we'll see what happens! I send out about 10 queries a week, get a feel for the waters, what needs to be tweaked, etc. Proposals... are strange. And slightly frustrating!

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I would stick with the facts that are pertinent:

1. I am querying other agents.

2. Other agents have requested the proposal.

That really is all that she needs to know, in my opinion.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Thedrellum got it right: All you need to say is that this is a multiple submission and other agents have requested the proposal. Period.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck.

Just wanted to let you know, I stopped by your blog and read your most recent post. It was fantastic! I will be visiting again and telling my friends. :)

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Thanks all! mellymel- I'm glad you enjoyed! Made my night!

Querying as a nonfic author is... well... strange, confusing, and definitely a learning experience!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I've read somewhere (I think it was from the Institute of Children's Literature...not that you're into that, but) I've read the odds are better to be a non-fiction writer than it is to be a fiction writer. There's a lot more people who are more inclined to read real life stories, then of some fictional character. Plus there are more fiction writers out there and the competition to land a publisher is a lot harder than to land a non-fiction publisher. And from my understanding, publishers are more willing to accept proposals vs. queries. And there's some pretty nice mid-size pubs out there you can sub directly to also. So basically, you've picked a very good category.

For me though, I find it extremely difficult to write non-fiction as opposed to fiction. I think a lot of writers are that same way too. It's just easier to make up things. lol I give you a lot of credit for exploring non fiction. Not many people can pull it off.

Keep us updated, I'd love to hear how it goes!

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Man, I wish I felt the same way! While I feel it's easy to write about my own experiences as opposed to made up scenarios, to get an agent to say "yes" is tough. It all seems to depend on the platform and how big it is, and while I have worked for YEARS on expanding my platform, I have been turned down because it is "not big enough." I continue on because I have hope that another agent will feel more confident in my work, rather than concentrating on numbers alone.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
It all seems to depend on the platform and how big it is, and while I have worked for YEARS on expanding my platform, I have been turned down because it is "not big enough."

That's exactly right. It's not easier for a non fic writer. It's just different. And that difference doesn't translate into a seamless journey.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like non-fiction is easier. I just meant that the odds of getting published as a non-fiction writer are better than a fiction writer. I for one (like I mentioned before) think writing non-fiction is extremely difficult. And I'm pretty sure since there's more fiction writers as opposed to non-fic writers, it just shows how difficult non-fic can be. You must be exact and get your facts straight or you're in trouble. Researching and making sure your dates and times and everything else is right is a huge task in itself.

But I do think the "not big enough" can also apply to both. Fiction agents are looking for the next big thing, as in concept. But for "not big enough" wouldn't that apply to the idea of a non-fiction book as well? Wouldn't it have to be a particular subject that a lot of people can relate to?

I wish I had that article. Maybe I can find it in my email. They send me news letters all the time even though I'm done with the course and it's something I thought about from time to time. err umm...but I think I'm derailing this thread...so I'll try not to veer off too much more about it.

ADD: Just an example, I thought of doing a memoir (a type of non-fiction) but for me it would be pretty much impossible because I'm Bipolar and have the crummiest memory and half of the stuff I was so manic, I wouldn't really know if it was true or just what I thought to be true, which are two different things entirely. Again this is just an example of how hard non-fic would be, for me at least. So I totally respect this type of writing, as I do with every other type.

*okay derailing ride over. sorry again for that H, didn't mean for that to happen.

Last edited:

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
No worries! This is an odd journey. It's never the same for anyone, which I think is what is making it so hard to explain or compare.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Having sold two non-fic books myself and now querying a third, I can tell you, non-fiction varies just as much as fiction in terms of ease and difficulty. Both of my books were sold on the basis of the writing, not on the basis of the proposal. Which is rare for non-fiction. The first sold within five days...and I wasn't even really querying, just asking a question. The other took nearly three years.

Wishing you the best on yours.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

khobar

Be constructive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpnixon.com
I was on the fence about this one agent. I went with her beyond my better judgment and she was a big waste of my time. But once I fired her, I wound up selling that book anyway.

Congratulations on selling the book but how did you go about firing the agent? What led up to it and how long did it take you to decide/pull the trigger?