PDA

View Full Version : Mexican POV

ToadFeathers
10-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Hi, I need some recomendations for books or short stories written from a strong Mexican POV-- I am working on a short story where I'm trying to master the voice of a Mexican protagonist, and I really don't have much experience here. Specifically, I am writing from an older man's POV, and though I'm using some Spanish wording here and there, I just want to read more examples to get a better feel for the voice, to make it stronger, more authentic. Genre doesn't matter. So if you write from this POV or know any authors that do, please let me know! Thanks much!

Lil
10-05-2013, 05:42 AM
I am working on a short story where I'm trying to master the voice of a Mexican protagonist, and I really don't have much experience here.

I strongly advise that you not do this until you do have experience here. There is a great danger that it will come off sounding patronizing and condescending, or else like mock-Hemingway, which is pretty much the same thing. I don't mean you can't write about things that you know only from reading, but you do have to read a lot.

If you are doing this as an exercise, rather than in hopes of publication, ignore these comments. You will put the exercise in a drawer, and 20 years from now you will pull it out and see what I mean.

wendymarlowe
10-05-2013, 05:56 AM
I'd suggest you spend some time reading translations of some great Mexican literature (e.g. http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/mexican-literature) and familiarizing yourself with what sets it apart from American/British/German/Russian/etc. works. Lil is right, though - it's entirely possible to write from a POV you don't, personally, have, but some POVs are more perilous than others. If I tried to write a book from the POV of a Texan rancher, readers would just roll their eyes and speculate about whether I had ever even seen a horse. If I tried to write from the POV of an urban African-American, or a Puerto Rican immigrant, or any other traditionally marginalized member of US society, though, I'd be much more likely to actively offend my readers with any mistakes I made. (And it's pretty much a guarantee I'd make mistakes.)

There are certainly authors who have managed to write in another group's voice - "Black Like Me" was a fantastic book about being black in the south during the civil rights movement from someone who was actually white - but he actually spent time in that lifestyle and was very upfront that his perspective would be different because his background was different.

Debbie V
10-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Lupita Manana is about a Mexican girl and her brother crossing the border to the US illegally and what befalls them. The author is Patricia Beatty. It might be out of print. It was a tag sale find, but enjoyed reading it and the voice felt authentic.