Several paragraphs of dialogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
If a character is speaking, and what he/she has to say takes up more than one paragraph, do you need quotes at the beginning and end of each paragraph? Or do you only need quotes at the beginning of the first paragraph and the end of the last one?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have seen it both ways, as well as with quotation marks at the beginning of all paragraphs & only at end of the last paragraph. Whether or not that is correct...

dante-x

Registered
Reaction score
“Digging to the rhythm and the echo of a solitary
Website
www.mirrorsthejourney.com
I don't know which is grammatically correct, but I would suggest putting quotations at the beginning of the next paragraph if the speakers voice is similar to that of the narrator. This provides a reminder and an aid for the reader that might help avoid any confusion in regards to the identity of the speaker.

DebbieOhi

Will Write For Chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkygirl.com
Wearing my underwear on the outside of my clothes

I only discovered this rule years ago, when co-writing a short story with a friend. I felt mortified at the time (she's an experienced sf/fantasy author), as if I had been caught wearing my underwear on the outside of my clothes.

I used to try to disguise my Grammar Rule ignorance, but now I've realized it's better to ask questions and find out the right answer than continue making mistakes (and possibly get one's work rejected because of those mistakes).

Kudos to the person responsible for starting this grammar thread! Grammar Goddess Julia, perhaps?

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.