To My British Friends: "Awake"?

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
In the middle off all the deep thinking writers so often do, I thought you'd appreciate the quick break of a very, very stupid question.

You know, just to lighten the mood.

What does "awake" mean, as a British exclamation?

In "Curse of the Were Rabbit" (yes, I am addicted to this movie...am I seriously admitting this?), Wallace sees someone he doesn't want to see at the door, and he yells out, "awake!"

What does that mean? Does it mean something like "oh no" or "oh my God"?

I can guess at "lummy day" but "awake" has me puzzled.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard it used as an exclamation like that. I looked up the script, and although the version I found did have "Awake!" in it, I'm wondering if it's a mistake, and that Wallace actually said, "Oh, 'eck!" (As in "Oh, heck!", a euphemism for "Oh, hell!", and common in the Yorkshire dialect.) *Is tempted to fetch the DVD from downstairs and check* :)

Last edited:

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Sophia. I think he shouts "O 'eck!".

Damn! Will now have to watch the film. One of my favourites.

wilchris

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard it used as an exclamation like that. I looked up the script, and although the version I found did have "Awake!" in it, I'm wondering if it's a mistake, and that Wallace actually said, "Oh, 'eck!" (As in "Oh, heck!", a euphemism for "Oh, hell!", and common in the Yorkshire dialect.) *Is tempted to fetch the DVD from downstairs and check* :)
Coming from the North, though Lancashire, not Yorkshire, "Oh heck!" sounds about right.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
"awake!" used as an exclamation means "Wake Up!" or "Be Aware/Alert!"

It's older, more formal english and is typically used in tolkein-esque fantasy. It surprised me that it's in Wallace and Grommit. As Sophia says it's more likely he says "Oh, 'eck!" which is a yorkshire slang expression for surprise and alarm.

Last edited:

wilchris

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What about "Ecky thump!" which is right good northern slang for surprise? Though more Lancashire than Yorkshire, as most good things are!

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
What about "Ecky thump!" which is right good northern slang for surprise? Though more Lancashire than Yorkshire, as most good things are!

Wars of the Roses, round II?

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! Another deep mystery solved, LOL!

There are actually quite a few references we Yanks don't get, such as ay-up (which is on the cover of the magazine Wallace is reading when he's using his "harmless brain alteration"), and I heard that the word "melon" is something else in the original version but I can't remember what it was...however, apparently "melon" was in the Americanized version.

Fascinating stuff!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Thanks, everyone! Another deep mystery solved, LOL!

There are actually quite a few references we Yanks don't get, such as ay-up (which is on the cover of the magazine Wallace is reading when he's using his "harmless brain alteration"), and I heard that the word "melon" is something else in the original version but I can't remember what it was...however, apparently "melon" was in the Americanized version.

Fascinating stuff!

Ay-up (or more usually ey-oop) is Yorkshire for 'hello', is the gag here (HELLO! magazine.)

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
Ay-up (or more usually ey-oop) is Yorkshire for 'hello', is the gag here (HELLO! magazine.)

Yes, I remember asking about this one on another forum at the time I first watched W&G. People were even writing it for me phonetically as you just did. But nobody mentioned that it was a takeoff on Hello! magazine...the more you know, and all that... :p