drugs to cause/induce pain

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any drugs that CAUSE pain? For example, by exciting the nerves so that a gentle touch feels unbearable?
I'm researching drugs to be used in a torture scene, but I've had very little success so far.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it'll work, but Pitocin was hell.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Capsaicin - the active ingredient of Chillies

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
It can be an analgesic (numbing agent). I guess you could squirt or rub capsaicin directly into someone's eyes or mucous membranes to cause pain, but in medical form it would have the opposite effect.

Interesting anecdote: After my husband hurt his rotator cuff and back, he craved spicy food. It actually helped numb his pain. He ate massive amounts of wasabi and chilies at the time, and he felt better when doing so.

melindamusil

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it'll work, but Pitocin was hell.
Fascinating. I think there are some drugs that can cause intense muscle cramps, and Pitocin would likely cause uterine cramps. I wonder how it would affect men.

Thanks waylander - this just may be what I need. There's a lot to learn here. Apparently capsaicin is the active ingredient in some topical pain rubs, but it is also the active ingredient in pepper spray. I'm guessing this has to do with the concentration, although I will research to confirm this. I've never been on the receiving end of pepper spray, but based on what I read, it sounds rather unpleasant and ought to work quite nicely.

melindamusil

Registered
Reaction score
It can be an analgesic (numbing agent). I guess you could squirt or rub capsaicin directly into someone's eyes or mucous membranes to cause pain, but in medical form it would have the opposite effect.

Interesting anecdote: After my husband hurt his rotator cuff and back, he craved spicy food. It actually helped numb his pain. He ate massive amounts of wasabi and chilies at the time, and he felt better when doing so.

I read that doctors theorize that it "numbs" by overwhelming the pain sensors and distracting the brain from the pain (although this was referring to topical pain rubs). I wonder if your husband experienced the same thing.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Not quite the same as a pain-inducer, but some herbs are emetics, which is to say that cause vomiting.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Capsaicin is used in some animal models of pain

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
There is something that does what you want, but I can't think of what it is.

What kind of pain do you want?

melindamusil

Registered
Reaction score
There is something that does what you want, but I can't think of what it is.

What kind of pain do you want?

Originally I was thinking of a scene from "NUMB3RS", where one of the characters (colby) winds up on a freighter boat, and Val Kilmer injects him with a truth serum and a drug that (IIRC) will cause his skin to become incredibly sensitive, so that even a light touch will be unbearable.

That would be an excellent pain, and if you can think of whatever kind of drug that is, I would be incredibly thankful. But waylander's capsaicin idea is a good one also, and I think I can work with that.

Thanks, Neptune!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
What about strychnine? Before it kills you (by asphyxiation) you have very painful convulsions that can apparently be set off by loud noises, too much touching, etc. No idea on dosages, because it's generally intended to kill, but some people have taken small doses as a stimulant.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Originally I was thinking of a scene from "NUMB3RS", where one of the characters (colby) winds up on a freighter boat, and Val Kilmer injects him with a truth serum and a drug that (IIRC) will cause his skin to become incredibly sensitive, so that even a light touch will be unbearable.

That would be an excellent pain, and if you can think of whatever kind of drug that is, I would be incredibly thankful. But waylander's capsaicin idea is a good one also, and I think I can work with that.

Thanks, Neptune!

See if something on this page would help you. I am not sure, but. . .
http://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/ghaffar/hyper00.htm

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks, Neptune!

I doubt this skin enhancing drug exists or that a locally affecting enhancement drug would be very effective irl. But it sounds perfectly plausible in a story or film.

In reality, I would assume the brain will shut down pain reception / processing as a survival safeguard. Maybe make up a drug that stops (not numbs) the brain pain management system from activating nerve blocks. That way, no matter how much or how often pain is inflicted, the body will never respond defensively.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
severe sunburn seems to fit the bill - you may be able to artificially induce one, although it would take a few hours to really get bad.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Heroin withdrawal (ref: the scene in The French Connection where Gene Hackman is drugged over days, and then let to suffer from withdrawal).

Drug-induced gout ( clicky ) could also be another way. Gout is painful.

Why not just removing nails? Or use a dentist's drill to drill holes into the victim's teeth?

-cb

Last edited:

3lbsponge

Registered
Reaction score
I was once given Reglan at the hospital for nausea. Within three minutes I was sitting up rocking in the bed, crying, sweating, screaming at my Mom that I hated her for dragging me to the hospital, trying to pull out the IV and basically losing my mind. It was the worst feeling of anxiety and anger I ever had, and I could have clawed my skin off I was so suddenly hot.

The nurse took a look at me and saw my poor Mom holding my hands so I didn't pull out the IV. She asked 'should she be really hot right now?' ('F-you I'm not hot I'm done with this ER! I'm LEAVING!') the nurse shook his head and said 'I will get the doctor with some benadryl.' (I cursed at the nurse for good measure, since by then I had moved from yelling at my mom to my poor boyfriend that was with me at the time). By this time I was rocking so hard everyone was staring at me (i was in the hall at the ER b/c there were no more curtained areas left - don't got to the ER on a Friday night) and getting obviously concerned for their safety - I must have looked that scary, plus I'm the daughter of a trucker, so I learned some good curses, all of which I was yelling about the 6 hour wait to get a scan.

The doctor came over, injected the benadryl and I was almost immediately better. He told me it happens when Reglan is pushed too quickly into the patient, or sometimes just because. He said they've had people just stand up and take the IV pole with them out the ER. I apologized to everyone, and they were cool with it, thankfully. I'm not the type to yell at nurses, they're so under appreciated.

My point of the story? It is very easy to give the drug like that on purpose (and the nurse joked they do it to the 'people we want to get rid of') and get such a reaction. I could have easily hurt myself to get off that bed, and I'm lucky my mom was willing to basically sit on me holding my hands until help came. I wouldn't give that drug to my worst enemy.

That said, imagine if you locked someone in a room and kept giving them that? They'd hurt themselves to get out, and be crazy anxious and angry at the same time.

And prolonged use of the drug can cause major life changing damage too. So there's that.