Status
Not open for further replies.

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetigerseye.valentchamber.com
So for this upcoming Nanowrimo (which seems the only time I can just sit down and write) I want to write a YA Southern Gothic tale featuring POC characters.

Now, the entire story will be centered around (not based off of) the Rosewood massacre since my MC will be a survivor.

I don't usually do outlines for any of my stories, but I do research topics that I'm not very familiar with. I guess my issues are with the fact that if this story does get published and a descendent of a survivor does happen to read it, will they be offended by it.

Like I said the story doesn't take place during the event, but my MC is a survivor. If I'm going to do this I want to do it right.

Any thoughts?

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I am very intrigued because I am actually a descendent of a Rosewood survivor. After escaping the massacre, she came to Jacksonville because her sister lived there (where I and much of my family still live) and the rest was history. Her story of survival has been passed down from generation to generation.

The Rosewood Massacre birthed from strong racism. If you go into the gory details of it, you might offend someone, but at least you are telling the truth and not watering it down. If I were reading it, I would be offended if you tried to minimize the severity and impact of the massacre. If you go with a topic such as the massacre, go all out, but do with with respect. Not only for the topic, but the character you are writing.

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you for sharing your thoughts they are much appreciated :)

Wow, you're a descendent of a survivor? That's very interesting. I also find it interesting that originally I was gonna have my MC escape to Jacksonville as an orphan. But I read somewhere that most of the survivors escaped to Gainesville?

I also understand what you mean by minimizing the severity of that event. I mean, I most definitely do not want to water anything down and plan to take the topic as well as my character very seriously. Even though I'm POC myself, I always, always want to get things right when it comes to topics such as racism, abuse, etc. The book is heavy with both and I want to handle it with as much respect as I can.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
You are correct. A lot of the survivors did escape to Gainesville, but not all of them did. I have lots of family in Gainesville too. I will admit that she did go there after the massacre. It is much closer in distance compared to Jacksonville. She had to cross over from Levy County into Alachua County (Gainesville) to even get close to the counties of Jacksonville. Mind you when I say counties because there are several counties in Jacksonville. Duval, Clay, Nassau, and St. Johns to name a few. I don't know necessarily how it was back then, but Jacksonville now is the largest city landwise in America.

However, she only for a short while. She ultimately ended up in Jacksonville to live with her sister. There are a handful of survivors that made Jacksonville their home immediately after the massacre and over the decades.

Anyways, let me stop rambling. If you need any help, I'll gladly be of assistance. ;)

Last edited:

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh okay, thanks :)

Mmm, a lot to think about. So it wouldn't be far fetched for my MC to first arrive in Gainesville as an orphan, but then relocate to Jacksonville with the family who took her in? Also, I was planning to have her memories of the incident haunt her like she'll have nightmares about them, but really wouldn't think about it at all. Sort of like she pushed it all to the back of her mind along with the memories of her parents. Do you think I should go all out in describing the events even though they'll only show up in her dreams?

Like, I do understand either way someone's going to be offended, but I don't want a backlash for this novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.