To publish or not to publish

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
Cassie88 said:
Yes, I understand Aspier, but still.... I thought I might submit my poem, Adultery, in the Writer's Digest annual contest, but the rules say... Cannot be published or produced ... What does "Produced" mean? This issue gets on my last nerve.

Throw away writers digest and spend the time you gain by not hassling in sending in poems + waiting etc. on improving your skills to write poetry - oh just write and forget publishing! I honestly mean this!

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
I don't see how 'workshopping' on a poem is 'publication' - Neighter do I see how a poem, once 'finished' after some editions done on it in here could be called a 'publication' - not even when its left on the board afterwards. There is also that something thing called 'loyalty' towards those surrounding you in workshopping surroundings ... they might want to 'see' the finished result of the poem. Its decent to leave it once its finished. Any idiotic publisher telling you that that particular poem on that particular workshop is a published poem is a mere fool not worth having your work published with him.

What is a published poem? Its a poem somebody (a publisher) has put money into with the distinct purpose of ditributing it so that he can make money. Once somebody has made money off your poem, only then it is a published poem. Anyway, long story! But the answer is - no poem workshopped on a workshopping board is a published poem - not even poems displayed on webpages (like mine in doc files and of which I hope a million copies have been made) are 'published' poems!

Hope that's closer to the topic william ... yes that question of publishing one's work! You can't make money out of poetry. Or only a view make money. I think the poet also has to understand that part of his 'gift' to write poetry belongs to the 'society' ... like one pop song says 'Its time, its time ... so let's give it back'.

I'd say, dear poet, be kind to the world that surrounds you. Oh come, give it a poem ... free!

Aah what am I talking about!

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i think we're of one mind on this issue, aspier. but that's not the point of this thread.

those who seek to publish their poetry should be afforded every courtesy and access to any information we can compile for them.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
mm yes I know, so dear poet (anyone in write) publish your work here http://www.gutenberg.org/ and you are among the great - I think that will be called a publication by a publisher ... although some might even think, well this person is known so his work will sell as people would already know him. Because of the money part to publication there ARE no fix rules re these things. Everyone has to develope an own strategy re promoting his name by his poetry and yet at the same time not make his work 'cheap' (too much known).

You have to SELL your poem ... to a publisher. They are no gods but bussiness people. Hope this put a kind of point over, no?

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Asp, I have no delusions of making any money by writing or trying to get a poem published. And if I send anything out to a contest (I think I've only sent two poems out over the years), I forget about it. I'm not waiting for the mailman.
I'd like to finally get going on a website where I could at least put some of them "somewhere."

Anyways... I appreciate you answering my original post about this subject.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
this is a perfectly valid topic for discussion, but i moved sue's original question and the relevant responses into its own thread.

writers seeking publication don't want to have those goals trampled on or sidetracked by unsolicited advice not to publish.

thanks for your understanding.