Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Most people have one thing they're brilliant at. An 'A' talent, so to speak. Some have a bunch of 'B' talents yet no one strong 'A'. Then there are those people who seem to have it all-- like SF author Catherine Asaro. Her level of A talents astounds and impresses me. But it doesn't make me sad or depressed because I have my A talent. It just doesn't happen to be writing and that's okay. :)

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
When you think of the Greek Muses, the notion that the arts, including writing, are the result of some divine intervention isn't all that new or uncommon. Being quite fascinated with Greek mythology, I quite like the idea myself, even if I haven't necessarily found my muse yet.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... "Asaro." Wow! :-O
Good perspective.
Me? More of a C-grade person.
But willing to work hard to make something of it.
Jealous, some of the time. But more in awe of my betters.
Am okay with that. Neat having peeps to admire
and look up to.

Greek mythology is cool.
Simpler times for simpler folk :)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Can some writers be divinely inspired? Yes. Any other answer limits the power of God.

Are some writers divinely inspired? This is unknowable.

Am I divinely inspired? Probably not.

Would I know if I were divinely inspired? This is unknowable.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Even if you believe in gods and divine inspiration, it strikes me as both belittling and excuse-making to credit other authors with being "gifted" in some supernatural fashion. It implies they couldn't possibly be that talented on their own, and that you can never be that talented because God just didn't "choose" you.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Since there is no God or gods, I would say no.

I think it's an easy out for a struggling writer to say others are blessed with talent. It also implies that the others may not have to work so hard.

Everyone's mind is different or can be trained. Some people develop a talent for story telling because they grow up around stories and are more aware of the world around them. Maybe genetics gives their imagination a leg up. Their brains are just made up that way. Others have to work harder. It's the way of the world for everything, not just writing and has nothing to do with divine beings.

My writing comes from a functioning mind, development of neural networks from early childhood, a conscious decision to observe and tell stories, and hard work on the mechanics of it. I won't give any of that up to a divine being or see myself as struggling because I'm not chosen or special.

Randy Lee

knew the job was dangerous
Registered
Reaction score
This here is a religious question. It's answer will depend, to a great extent, upon the religious beliefs of those who answer. The atheist's answer will not make sense to most Christians. The Christian's answer, in many cases, will not make sense to the atheist.

So, I am a believer in God. I am a believer in divine inspiration. There. Now you know where I'm coming from.

The works of Beethoven seem inspired to me. But he put a lot of work into his pieces. They didn't just shower down from above. But I still believe that his work is divinely inspired.

I believe that God helps those who help themselves. Although this is rejected by many believers as non-scriptural these days, it is a part of my religion. So it is possible for divine inspiration to only manifest itself when the writer has waded through the crucible of very hard work.

I do not believe that "divinely inspired" means "perfect" or "flawless." I think that unreadable prose can be divinely inspired if the author tries to express things that illuminate his soul, but his work is so badly done that no one else can comprehend what he's written. In that case, he should probably go to the effort to learn the fundamentals of writing so that his insights can help others.

No one will ever be a good writer without working on it. Although I'm a believer in the Bible, I also believe that God chose writers who were taught how to write by ordinary means rather than by just divine inspiration. I believe that David, for example (or whoever it was that really wrote the Psalms), worked on his writing.

Ultimately, I believe that we have God to thank for our talents. That our ability to think and reason are gifts from Him. Based on that, all writing is more or less divinely inspired.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me. We live in a world where there are probably billions of opinions on religion. I'm just answering the original post's question the only way I can, by expressing my beliefs.

I won't explain all of my beliefs because I don't want to be seen as the resident nutcase on AW any more than I am already perceived to be so. Otherwise, I might respond to questions about why God distributes talents unevenly. Although I believe I know the answer to that, my explanation would not make any sense to anyone who doesn't share my underlying religious beliefs.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
There are plenty of Christian authors out there writing Christian novels. I imagine quite a few of them would say they are inspired by God. Inspiration comes in all forms though. Writers are artists, so it is not surprising that some of that art reflects that.

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
Maggie Stiefvater--excellent painter of amusing subjects, musician of many instruments (quirky, fun ones at that), and NYTBS writer of YA (no matter the opinions on her talent in this area). She's a triple threat A gamer. Do I spend time wishing I was "all the things"...nope. I'd just sit around lamenting what I'm not and that sucks really hardcore. It's also a huge waste of energy because it changes nothing.

I do love Elizabeth Gilbert's Ted talk about genius, though. You don't have to apply Christianity to the gist.

Last edited:

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
Most people have one thing they're brilliant at. An 'A' talent, so to speak. Some have a bunch of 'B' talents yet no one strong 'A'. Then there are those people who seem to have it all-- like SF author Catherine Asaro. Her level of A talents astounds and impresses me. But it doesn't make me sad or depressed because I have my A talent. It just doesn't happen to be writing and that's okay. :)

I love this answer. Though I strongly believe that I am one of those a bunch of Bs and no As. I think this can be a problem when it comes to career advancement. Without an A level talent or skill, you may flounder in a mediocre to poor position in your field.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on your views on faith, I'd think. Some believe we all carry a piece of the divine spark. Others that talent is a mixture of natural predisposition and hard work.

Me? I just wonder why I suck. ;)

solfege

Registered
Reaction score
This here is a religious question. It's answer will depend, to a great extent, upon the religious beliefs of those who answer. The atheist's answer will not make sense to most Christians. The Christian's answer, in many cases, will not make sense to the atheist.

So, I am a believer in God. I am a believer in divine inspiration. There. Now you know where I'm coming from.

The works of Beethoven seem inspired to me. But he put a lot of work into his pieces. They didn't just shower down from above. But I still believe that his work is divinely inspired.

I believe that God helps those who help themselves. Although this is rejected by many believers as non-scriptural these days, it is a part of my religion. So it is possible for divine inspiration to only manifest itself when the writer has waded through the crucible of very hard work.

I do not believe that "divinely inspired" means "perfect" or "flawless." I think that unreadable prose can be divinely inspired if the author tries to express things that illuminate his soul, but his work is so badly done that no one else can comprehend what he's written. In that case, he should probably go to the effort to learn the fundamentals of writing so that his insights can help others.

No one will ever be a good writer without working on it. Although I'm a believer in the Bible, I also believe that God chose writers who were taught how to write by ordinary means rather than by just divine inspiration. I believe that David, for example (or whoever it was that really wrote the Psalms), worked on his writing.

Ultimately, I believe that we have God to thank for our talents. That our ability to think and reason are gifts from Him. Based on that, all writing is more or less divinely inspired.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me. We live in a world where there are probably billions of opinions on religion. I'm just answering the original post's question the only way I can, by expressing my beliefs.

I won't explain all of my beliefs because I don't want to be seen as the resident nutcase on AW any more than I am already perceived to be so. Otherwise, I might respond to questions about why God distributes talents unevenly. Although I believe I know the answer to that, my explanation would not make any sense to anyone who doesn't share my underlying religious beliefs.
This is easily the best answer possible for this question, and that's coming from a very staunch atheist.

When you claim that you can't comprehend how a novel can be so good without some kind of divine inspiration, you're inadvertently flipping a giant middle finger at the deep, complex craft that writing is. You're not creating a discussion, you're halting it by not even letting it stay on the table. Hope this doesn't across as too harsh, since I've in fact been guilty of this same kind of line of thought in the past, but it can be a little infuriating when people are willfully ignorant in assuming the unknown is unknowable, rather than at least making the effort to strive to find the answer (even if it ends up being a futile exercise).

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
...Otherwise, I might respond to questions about why God distributes talents unevenly. Although I believe I know the answer to that, my explanation would not make any sense to anyone who doesn't share my underlying religious beliefs.

Ugh. Tease! Now I want to know...

And I never buy the 'you won't get it' line.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
If one believes in God, or gods, there is no reason to suppose that authors cannot be divinely inspired. But, as noted, inspired does not mean their writing will necessarily be perfect or even good. One could take it a step further, and express a belief that God worked through the author, and many believe that is how the Bible was written, but I would, even as a believer in God, consider that to be very, very rare.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Even if you believe in gods and divine inspiration, it strikes me as both belittling and excuse-making to credit other authors with being "gifted" in some supernatural fashion. It implies they couldn't possibly be that talented on their own, and that you can never be that talented because God just didn't "choose" you.

This is easily the best answer possible for this question, and that's coming from a very staunch atheist.

When you claim that you can't comprehend how a novel can be so good without some kind of divine inspiration, you're inadvertently flipping a giant middle finger at the deep, complex craft that writing is. You're not creating a discussion, you're halting it by not even letting it stay on the table. Hope this doesn't across as too harsh, since I've in fact been guilty of this same kind of line of thought in the past, but it can be a little infuriating when people are willfully ignorant in assuming the unknown is unknowable, rather than at least making the effort to strive to find the answer (even if it ends up being a futile exercise).

... agreed.
It is in a way it is dismissive.
But only to an extent.

Evaluating a writer or artist or musician as
divinely inspired is for me the highest praise
I can give. It results from genuine awe and
an appreciation of the sheer greatness of a
novel or work of art that leaves me speechless.

I'm not sure it halts discussion as that
greatness or inspiration is an extra.
There's the work that fully remains up
for discussion and then there's that extra
which elevates the work and makes it into
something grand and far more than the sum of
its parts and perhaps more than its author as well.

Wondering whether the authors I admire
were inspired doesn't stop me from also
admiring the effort they put into their craft.
After reading bios on several I am also in
awe of their productivity and dedication, which
was almost inhuman as well, at least from my own
perspective, which remains my perspective and nothing more.

Last edited:

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
I believe an author can be inspired from their religion and spirituality. But I don't believe they can be inspired directly by it. Like... being inspired by God or a muse as if they were alive, since I don't believe such things exist.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
- Some people have a greater or lesser degree of 'natural talent'.
-- (this means nothing if not practiced. Skill and practice are more important than pure raw talent. You could have a natural talent for skiing, but if you never get on a pair of skis it doesn't count.)
- whether or not this talent and inspiration comes from a god or gods depends on whether you believe in them.
- Many people are inspired to create (art, literature, poetry, music) by their faith.
-- even in those cases, brilliance does not float down upon them like a magical snow. They have to work to make their work clear and forceful and powerful, in whatever medium they choose.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I've been taught that God gives people talents or (what's the word when you really enjoy something even if you're not good at it?), and it's your job to work at it. Even if you don't believe in God, you can still waste your talents by thinking you're perfect already.

Some writers, and by that I mean the Biblical ones, were divinely inspired about what to write (2 Timothy 3:16 if we're getting theological), but I don't think God tells us to write specific things anymore.

...does that make sense? It's really early here...

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Since I believe nothing exists outside of what we call God, this is kind of a funny question. For me, it's all God: the inspiration AND the work to make that inspiration manifest.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's where this one takes me: Yes, sometimes a creative expression, written or in some other medium, communicates so potently I have that feeling it is divinely inspired. But since different ones of us feel that from different expressions, my sense is that it is the actual exchange that is inspired.

So, the reader who receives the experience that what was written was inspired is equally inspired.

It takes (at least) two to complete the current.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I have a point, but it's going to take me a minute to get to it. Grab your saddle-horn and grip with your knees.

We have two streams of problem-solving ability--a conscious, logical mode and a subconscious, associative mode.

If a person has genius levels of associative problem-solving skills, they may feel divinely inspired, because all the hard work their brain is doing is happening subconsciously. All the person is aware of is that great ideas simply leap out of their brain, apparently from nowhere.

They might also think they're psychic, if they're applying their genius-level skills to cold-reading. But I digress.

I've met geniuses in the sciences, and my wee mind boggled at the leaps of logic they made and the effortless brilliance they displayed just in day-to-day life.

I don't think they were being divinely inspired; I think they were really freakin' smart. Their brains work better than other peoples' do.

And I likewise think the authors who seem to pour brilliance onto the page are also just really freakin' smart. But artistic brilliance often involves those subconscious, associative problem-solving skills. So those bouts of intuitive, gorgeous writing often seem more ineffable than quickly doing complex math problems does.

But then again, if you're going to believe there is a God, then you have to accept that this is how He did it. He didn't magic us into existence from clay--he used chemistry and biology and a lot of millenia, and He made these fabulously complex, messy, amazing creatures that can do shocking things, both good and bad.

So maybe it is divine inspiration, provided you accept that it's this squishy meat we're made of that is divine, and which births all our inspiration.

Last edited:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Inspiration comes from the Muses. Whom we made up, using our imaginations. Something crazy in those three pounds of think-meat. Millions of species get along fine without the ability to mentally construct things that don't exist; just how it popped up in our evolution, we'll probably never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.