Not open for further replies.

jdwhitelaw

Gone Drinkin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jdwhitelaw.blogspot.com
Hello everybody.

Just looking for a bit of general advice on promotion of my book once it is released on Amazon kindle next week (October 1).

Any and all advice welcome.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's a great big sticky thread at the top of this forum which gives all sorts of advice on how to promote effectively.

I suggest you read that.

Asking us to give you advice when you don't seem to have even looked around for yourself implies that you think your time is more valuable than ours, and that's not appropriate.

jdwhitelaw

Gone Drinkin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jdwhitelaw.blogspot.com
There's a great big sticky thread at the top of this forum which gives all sorts of advice on how to promote effectively.

I suggest you read that.

Asking us to give you advice when you don't seem to have even looked around for yourself implies that you think your time is more valuable than ours, and that's not appropriate.

What I find inappropriate is a user who has over 13k posts being so blatantly rude and assuming that I would be in any way, shape or form offensive towards another poster.

I am also letting you know that this has been reported to the moderators.

In response to the first replier, I am greatly appreciative of your support and would be happy to share more information.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
What I find inappropriate is a user who has over 13k posts being so blatantly rude and assuming that I would be in any way, shape or form offensive towards another poster.

:popcorn:

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com

In response to the first replier, I am greatly appreciative of your support and would be happy to share more information.

Did you miss the fact that Old Hack is a moderator? Indeed, she's a SuperModerator, which means that she's got further powers and responsibilities than ordinary mods like me.

I have to say that I find the "it's rude of you to call me rude" argument a little overly circular for my taste. I can accept that you didn't mean to come across as asking the community to spoon-feed you rather than doing a bit of clicking around on your own, but unfortunately, that's the attitude that came across in your post.

Given that you are actually looking for information and suggestions, why don't you go read the sticky and come back to the conversation somewhat better-informed? You might learn something useful; putting the effort in would give your fellow AW members a good impression and make them more willing to put their time into helping you; and it would give you the chance to bring some more substantive ideas into this thread for people to help you refine. I don't really see a downside there.

Alternatively, you can get sidetracked into a squabble with the moderators, fuel lots of drama, use up a bunch of energy, and get this thread closed with no further help toward marketing your book. I'm not entirely sure whom that really helps, but the choice is yours.

In either case, good luck on the 1st!

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

The number of times I've posted has nothing to do with my post to you.

I was not rude to you.

And I was not assuming you were being rude "towards another poster", I was telling you that you were being rude towards everyone.

There's no need for you to do this because as moderator for this subforum, I receive notifications of all such reports made in this room.

It does make sure that everyone else who reads this thread knows you've reported me to me, though, which isn't perhaps the effect you wanted to achieve.

And yet you didn't.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
alol
Also "kindle promotion isn't really the right thing to call this. People who are trade published do promotion, people who are self published do promotion. We all do promotion, we all have books on kindle. Books from almost all publishers are available for kindle.
When you talk about self publishing it might be better to use that term, don't use kindle or eBook, because they are not the same.
Not trying to be rude, just trying for more accuracy.
Explore the board, there is tons of information on promotion available.:)

Michaelg

Registered
Reaction score
Please calm down.

I was not rude to you.
Yes, you were. It is not what you said, it was the condesending, no one should be here if they are not as good as me, way you said it.

Just tell the dude what he missed, without the agression.

I know this because I was just about to post something that has already been answered, until I read your rude post. Please calm down, Old Hack, you'll live longer. And thanks, for mentioning the Sticky Threads, I needed that help.

(This will probably get me yelled at, but who cares.)

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Lurking quietly, waiting for the denouement that inevitably proceeds henceforth in the realm where angels fear to tread. Nay, hoping for that cessation, but admit to wishing for a paracentric setting in a humble manner. May the pearls of wisdom follow. Adios.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you were.

All together now: OH no I wasn't!

It is not what you said, it was the condesending, no one should be here if they are not as good as me, way you said it.

If I'd wanted to say that no one is as good as me, that's what I'd have said. You are reading far more into my comment than is really there.

Just tell the dude what he missed, without the agression.
I wasn't aggressive (nor was I "agressive"), and again, you're reading something into my comment which simply wasn't there.

I know this because I was just about to post something that has already been answered, until I read your rude post.
You're a month too late, I'm afraid. And bearing in mind that you've managed to read my post in this thread, is it too much to ask that you also read evilrooster's? That way you'll have read the comments of two of this room's moderators, which should give you a little more of a clue.

Please calm down, Old Hack, you'll live longer. And thanks, for mentioning the Sticky Threads, I needed that help.
Please stop patronising me, Michaelg, you'll last longer on AW. And you're welcome.

(This will probably get me yelled at, but who cares.)
You seem to care. If you didn't, it wouldn't have occurred to you to mention it.

Moving on, do you think that dredging up a thread which had gone quiet merely to patronise a moderator would be a useful or positive thing to do? I'd much prefer it if you'd drop in on our SYW rooms and help a few of our other members with their work, and I suspect you'd get more out of it in the long run, too.

Lurking quietly, waiting for the denouement that inevitably proceeds henceforth in the realm where angels fear to tread. Nay, hoping for that cessation, but admit to wishing for a paracentric setting in a humble manner. May the pearls of wisdom follow. Adios.

I'm sorry, T, I don't know what you're trying to tell us. Perhaps you could try again.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to be subtle, telling others to focus on not being disruptive. Life's too short to get into flame wars and I would be just as happy if the moderators shut down the thread before it got worse. Sorry, was trying not to be blunt.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to be subtle, telling others to focus on not being disruptive. Life's too short to get into flame wars and I would be just as happy if the moderators shut down the thread before it got worse. Sorry, was trying not to be blunt.

Ah, that's much clearer. Thank you for the explanation.

Here's the thing, though. AW has moderators: you don't have to try to police the threads yourself. All you have to do is click on the "report post" button (it looks like an exclamation mark inside a red triangle) and the mods will be alerted, and will swoop down upon the thread to deal with the problematical post. It helps stop threads from getting derailed, and it helps stop innocent bystanders getting caught in the fallout, so it's usually a better way to go. But thank you for trying, nevertheless: it is appreciated.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've engaged in a little clean up.

Play nice folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.