PDA

View Full Version : Who do you sound like?

rhymegirl
02-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Since we never get to hear people's voices here on AW, give us some idea of the sound of your voice.

Think of TV stars, movie stars, singers, politicians, athletes.

Who do you sound like?

clintl
02-22-2006, 12:10 AM
I can't think of anyone I sound like. All I know is that every time I hear a recording of my voice, I'm horrified by the way it really sounds.

JAlpha
02-22-2006, 12:18 AM
I have been told numerous times that I sound like Mary Lou Henner. We are both from Chicago, and we both talk a mile a minute--go figure :ROFL:

arrowqueen
02-22-2006, 12:42 AM
People call me 'Sir' on the 'phone. God knows who I sound like.

Sage
02-22-2006, 12:55 AM
I sound like my sister. Exactly. On the phone, nobody can tell us apart.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help you guys. But I've been told that I sound like I'm twelve years old on the phone too, so maybe that does (I'm 25, btw).

PattiTheWicked
02-22-2006, 12:56 AM
People always used to tell me I sound like Brett Butler, the comedian, but since I've lived in Ohio my accent has faded somewhat.

Now I apparently sound like my 13-year-old daughter, or at least that's what people seem to think when they call on the phone.

Sage
02-22-2006, 12:58 AM
Now I apparently sound like my 13-year-old daughter, or at least that's what people seem to think when they call on the phone.Oh, good. I'm not alone :Hug2:

travNastee
02-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Who I normally sound like? Um...no one that I can think of.

Who I can sound like: Sean Connery, Owen Wilson, a rough approximation of Christohper Walken, Bill Clinton, Yoda, a rough approximation of Donald Trump.

tiny
02-22-2006, 01:34 AM
Whenever I answer the phone, the caller asks to talk to my mommy.

robeiae
02-22-2006, 01:39 AM
Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Shadow_Ferret
02-22-2006, 01:41 AM
It's a cross between James Earl Jones and Jerry Lewis.

This is CNN, OH LADY!

TheIT
02-22-2006, 01:47 AM

I have exactly the same problem. It's always amusing to tell telemarketers, "No, that's Ms., not mister," and listening to the dead silence on the line while they readjust their script.

rhymegirl
02-22-2006, 01:49 AM

I always have to make sure I bring my voice up enough. I've been told I have a Kathleen Turner kind of voice.

Celia Cyanide
02-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Lantern Jack says I sound like Scarlet Johanssen.

TheIT
02-22-2006, 01:54 AM
I always have to make sure I bring my voice up enough.

In junior high, I was in the alto section of the girl's chorus. The music teacher stopped us during practice one day because someone was singing too low. Turned out it was me. My friend kept making cracks about how I should sing with the boy's chorus. Oh, that was embarassing....

Then again, another one of my music teachers used to comment about how sopranos were bright, but altos were beautiful. Go, altos! :D

rhymegirl
02-22-2006, 01:58 AM
In junior high, I was in the alto section of the girl's chorus. The music teacher stopped us during practice one day because someone was singing too low. Turned out it was me. My friend kept making cracks about how I should sing with the boy's chorus. Oh, that was embarassing....

Then again, another one of my music teachers used to comment about how sopranos were bright, but altos were beautiful. Go, altos! :D

I was an alto, too!! The only thing I didn't like about it was we never got to sing the good parts of the songs. Just the "la la la's" and "yeah yeah yeahs" and "oo oo oo". Boring.

TheIT
02-22-2006, 02:02 AM
I was an alto, too!! The only thing I didn't like about it was we never got to sing the good parts of the songs. Just the "la la la's" and "yeah yeah yeahs" and "oo oo oo". Boring.

Exactly. I think that's why my music teacher gave us the alto vs. soprano pep-talk when we altos complained about never carrying the melody. Without altos as support, the sopranos don't sound so pretty.

StoryG27
02-22-2006, 02:22 AM
I always have to make sure I bring my voice up enough.
When I was about 12, in the days before caller ID, I called one of my friends and her mom answered. After I asked to speak to Jessie, her mom set the phone down and I could hear her call out in a real playful tone, "Jessie, it's for you. I think it's a boy."

I was devastated. I didn't know what to do. I knew Jessie would recognize my voice and I'd be the laughing stock of middle school. Oh the horror! I panicked and did the only reasonable thing I could. I hung up.

Much later I called Jessie again and made a conscious effort to raise my voice so I would sound like a girl. This time, I was not mistaken for a boy and I did get to speak with Jessie who, as it turned out, was quite upset with her mother for accidentally hanging up on a boy who had called. Jessie was sure it was a boy she'd had a crush on forever and she was so excited, speculating all the reasons he might be calling her. I felt terrible, but worse yet, I never did tell her the truth.

Poppy
02-22-2006, 02:55 AM
I've been told by several that I sound sort of like the Elly May character from The Beverly Hillbillies. Don't know about that, but that's what they said.

Think I'll go for a swim in the "see-mint" pond.

brokenfingers
02-22-2006, 03:07 AM
I sound just like like Peewee Herman...

Elincoln
02-22-2006, 03:55 AM
I did a short stint as a telemarketer (about two months, I remember). All the guys I talked to told me I have a very 'lovely' voice and wanted to know where I lived.

And I was an Alto too. Even had a solo part one time, but it was only because we didn't have any 'boys' in our chorus group.:gone: Talk about embarrassing.

StoryG27
02-22-2006, 04:13 AM
I did telemarketing when I was 17 and made a lot of money at it. We sold extra channels to people who already had our provider and we got bonuses per sale. Within a month, I was one of the top sellers and my boss told me I was so sucessful because I had a what he called the perfect bedroom voice. At the time, I took it as a compliment.

DeniseK
02-22-2006, 04:15 AM
When I sing I sound like Patsy Cline.

rhymegirl
02-22-2006, 04:16 AM
I sound just like like Peewee Herman...

Jokester.

BlackCrowesChick
02-22-2006, 04:27 AM

I'm glad I'm not alone! In fifth grade, our school had a Christmas concert. I had to sing with the boys because my voice was too low to sing with the girls. Yeah, talk about embarassing. It didn't help that I was the new kid, either. I was sooo embarassed!

Now, I just won't sing in front of anyone. I keep my terrible voice to myself. It really is bad; some altos are great, I know, but not me.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-22-2006, 04:40 AM
Peggy Lee.

As though any of you young pups would know who she was...

rhymegirl
02-22-2006, 04:44 AM
I know who Peggy Lee was. Actually, I have an aunt with that name.

But seriously, she sang Is That All There Is?

ChaosTitan
02-22-2006, 04:53 AM
When I lived at home, callers could never figure out if I was myself, my sister, or my mother. We all sound the same on the telephone. Now callers can't tell if I am myself or if I am my roommate.

And lately at work, I am constantly confused with my boss (not only do we have the same first name, but apparently we're starting to sound alike, as well). :e2shrug:

Celebrity-wise? Not a clue. I sang alto in 8th grade choir. :tongue I tend to speak in mid to low ranges. Maybe Stockard Channing, with a moderate hick-southern accent?

Hannah
02-22-2006, 05:36 AM
I don't know who I sound like, but I'm told that my face and voice doesn't match. :)

I have a very "corporate" sounding voice, and I'm more of the artsy type. That's what people tell me, amongst other things.

louisgodwin
02-22-2006, 12:13 PM
No one's ever told me I sound like anyone famous, but everyone I meet seems surprised when they find out I'm a native Texan and have lived here my entire life. People always think I must be from "up North" because I talk at a higher rate of speed than anyone else that lives down here. Plus I have absolutely no trace of any kind of southern drawl or Texas twang.

blisswriter
02-22-2006, 12:49 PM
I can't think of anyone I sound like. All I know is that every time I hear a recording of my voice, I'm horrified by the way it really sounds.

Ugh! Me too. :cry:

I'm always told I sound like my mother, which horrifies me as well.

I know, I know. She's not famous. Sorry. :flag:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-22-2006, 04:14 PM
I know who Peggy Lee was. Actually, I have an aunt with that name.

But seriously, she sang Is That All There Is?

Yes, she did! I think her most famous song was '(You Give Me) Fever', though.

Shwebb
02-22-2006, 05:55 PM
My voice is a strange combination of Canadian-American South cheerleader. I used to work in customer service, and I became accustomed to making my voice sound perky on the phone. I sound young, upbeat, and energetic.

I am, of course, none of those things.

rhymegirl
02-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Yes, she did! I think her most famous song was '(You Give Me) Fever', though.

Yup, I know that song, too.

Sarita
02-22-2006, 09:56 PM
I have NO idea who I sound like... slight Jersey accent, not really high, a little raspy (but only because I sing/talk so much and tend to wear my voice out.)

rhymegirl
02-23-2006, 01:21 AM
I have NO idea who I sound like... slight Jersey accent, not really high, a little raspy (but only because I sing/talk so much and tend to wear my voice out.)

Sara, I have always wondered how your voice sounds. Who does Raymond sound like, since he didn't answer this? And how about Joanne?