US arts attendance has been declining since 1992, when NEA funding was first clobbered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/26/arts/a-new-survey-finds-a-drop-in-arts-attendance.html
http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-arts-attendance-nea-20130926,0,3108857.story

The NEA yesterday released its survey of 2012 arts attendance in the US.

By its reckoning, attendance at arts events has been dropping since 1992.

1992 is also the year US federal arts funding started being cut, which may have something to do with it.

The issue, however, is a complex one. "Arts" events include museums, of course, but also movies, theatrical performances, and music events.

The proliferation of technological alternatives may play some part in this, as may changing demographics.

Last edited:

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
I think these things come and go in waves, sort of like book trends do. College aged kids are told where there's a surplus, and inched towards the deficit in employment. I know way too many liberal arts grads who can't find jobs. On the other hand, they're pushing engineering as the top earning BS again ( http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2013/09/10/georgetown-study-future-impact-major/2792875/ ). So a decade from now, you'll have a surplus of engineers who hopped on the wagon too late, and a shortage of something else.

Edit: Same surplus/deficit waves occur in the military and medical fields.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I think I was unclear in my original post.

This was a survey of arts events attendance -- concerts, museum exhibits, movies, etc. -- not of students attending art school.

I'm sorry for the confusion (I have edited the original post).

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
Aaaah, then yes, the corollary probably fits. (That's what I get for not clicking links before I open my gob--derp).

Edit: My fear of an arts survey conducted by the US Census Bureau is that it could lead to further cuts if they think, "Well, folks are just not interested anymore." *cringe*

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Do you think they count conferences?

Sort of like Alessandra mentioned technological alternatives, I also wonder if it isn't a case of more people participating?

But, I expect that is a miniscule change compared to any others. Just tossing it out for consideration.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I'm fairly certain there is a correlation to the economy. The Arts, while enjoyable and enriching, aren't essential to meet needs. As a little kid, I went to movies, plays, museums, all sorts of things constantly. That petered out slowly. I still watch movies a lot, but it takes a lot of effort. A movie ticket when I was in middle school (only ten years ago) was half the price it is now.

I don't know. I guess my point is that cutting funding towards art education would make people feel like it is less important. I think arts are already the first on the chopping block when it comes to where people will spend their money when its tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.