PDA

View Full Version : Six Degrees of Literary Separation

aliceshortcake
09-27-2013, 12:28 PM
We can't all be related by blood to our favourite writers, but if we stretch the word "relationship" to breaking point it shouldn't be too difficult to link up with at least one of them. I've managed it with four:

My great-great grandfather was baptized by the Revd Patrick Brontė, father of... Charlotte, Emily and Anne.

My great-great aunt married a nephew of Sir Alexander Dixie, whose wife Florence was the aunt of Lord Alfred "Bosie" Douglas, who was the lover of...Oscar Wilde.

If anyone else out there has similar stories I'd love to hear them!

jjdebenedictis
09-28-2013, 01:11 AM
I have no such connections that I'm aware of, but regardless, me too! Me too! I wanna to hear everyone's stories also! :)

HarryHoskins
09-28-2013, 01:59 AM
My sister's husband's step uncle is the fellow who writes Petula Clark Abbey

Siri Kirpal
09-28-2013, 05:58 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

My father's mother was born in the same Lebanese hill town as Khalil Gibran. My many-many-times-great maternal uncle was John Knox, writer of religious tracts and founder of the Presbyterian Church. As some of you already know, my kindergarten best friend is now better known as Tess Gerritsen.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

ChristinaJGustin
09-29-2013, 12:32 AM
One of my writing teachers was good friends with Ursula Le Guin, another of my writing teachers was on a book tour with her.

One of my writing teachers was in the the movie Minority Report (a pre-cog), and as such, I'm sure there are less than 6 degrees of connection between him and Philip K. Dick

A good friend of mine grew up down the street from Charles Bukowski.

I have a friend directly related to Andre Dubus

milkweed
09-29-2013, 12:46 AM
My great great great grandfather's (I think it's three greats back) youngest brother is Maya Angelou's great grandfather or maybe it's her grandfather, will have the check the family tree to make sure.

Xelebes
09-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Great-great uncle (grandfather's uncle) was missionary, moderator and author, Donald Fraser. I'm sure he has some connections to the literary scene in Scotland but I can't say what exactly his connections are. For those who have never heard of him, he wrote some of the first books in English on Malawi from the period 1910 to 1920.

Maggie Maxwell
09-30-2013, 07:52 PM
My friend's mother worked for Maya Angelou's agent many years ago.

My own family tree is too forgotten and scrambled to know any personal relations.