need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I received an email over a week from an editor from a well known publisher wanting to discuss one of my stories. It sounded really promising so we set a call time.

Anyway the time and day we agreed on passed, and I heard nothing. I sent an email informing them I wouldn't be available the next day, but I decided to not say anything about having not heard anything. So I got a email reply almost immediately saying they had a minor family emergency earlier in the day, which is why they never called, and they wouldn't be available the next day either. Why they didn't email me about this I didn't understand as there had been ample time between our agreed upon call time and the time I emailed. But I didn't say anything.

So two days have now passed since our second agreed upon call time. I have heard nothing. I sent a email, being polite, suggesting maybe we should correspond by email although I would still be available to discuss things over the phone. Still no reply.

I'm getting majorly frustrated. I understand things come up, but if they're dropping the ball this much this early in the negotiation phase, then I don't know if I want to work with them. My communication has been with the senior editor for this publisher and they're well known, so I know they're not a scam, but seriously?

They've already informed me they don't work on Fridays, so who knows when I'll hear anything, but this seems completely unprofessional, and I'm pretty much over it. I don't want to do something hasty, but I'm considering withdrawing my manuscript and shopping it elsewhere.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Go with your gut and move on. There are several other places you can submit to. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.

MAKE SURE THIS PLACE IS REPUTABLE!!!! I don't remember how many times I've seen, "this place is well known" and "it's not a scam"...how do you know for sure? Did you thoroughly check them out, on Predators & Editors? The Bewares Forums? Google them extensively?

You might find out they aren't so wonderful to wait for anyway. And from the way they've been acting to you, all unprofessional and stuff, I wouldn't doubt it if you'll find something on the net about them you didn't like. Please be careful and research well.

Some of these places can be snakes in the grass and vanity presses. Once they start asking you for money, run like hell.

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
Or, you can go with "stuff crops up" and the snails pace of publishing and just ignore it for a week or two and see what happens. I wouldn't jump ship quite yet--but I know how frustrating it can be, definitely.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Great advice :) Thanks for the input. I'm just annoyed that twice she's missed a call time and not bothered to update me as to why.
I still haven't heard anything. But onward and upward. I'm working on something else, so I'll just continue to play the waiting game.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Be patient. You're one writer among many that the publisher has to deal with, and like al the rest of us, editors and publishers are people who have problems. Two days is nothing. If you still haven't heard in two weeks, try another e-mail.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering is this sort of thing common. I understand that a lot of this business is playing the waiting game, but I'm still hearing nothing. So is it common for editors/agents/what have you to approach you about something and then not bother to follow through. I see frequent complaints from editors on Twitter about writers being unprofessional, but aren't we allowed to expect the same courtesy?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends I think. If you're the type of author that nudges weekly, or monthly and keeps harping on them to make a decision, then yes, that's when writers are unprofessional. Sometimes submissions take weeks, some take months. I waited 9 months one time for mine. It's not unusual for an editor not to respond right away either. It happens to everyone. Unless they think you're the next Harry Potter or Twilight series, they may not respond right away.

I know the wait is hard, but you should start thinking about your next project, rather than mull over one submission. Like I mentioned if it's not exclusive you can submit to others. Otherwise it's just a waiting game.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I understand a lot of this is a waiting game. What I'm not understanding is they approached me, asked me to set up a call time and then they didn't follow through. Twice. This isn't just about some general slush submission that I'm bugging them about the status of. As for the reputation of this publisher, let's just say it's a well known romance publisher. Very well known.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'd wonder about any publishing company (or their editors) that a) doesn't work on Friday and b) shuts down when there's a family emergency. This person has no backup or admin assistant to deal with things? Doesn't sound very professional to me...

Last edited:

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
Between everything you've said, something about this pub co. gives me pause. Personally, I would "emotionally remove" myself from the situation, keep waiting, and busy myself with other projects/prospects.

Good luck and keep us updated. I'll cross my fingers for you. :)

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't updated. My manuscript has sold. We're onto discussing revisions, contract terms and future ideas. The editor has been very apologetic and super sweet about the lack of contract. And believe me for everyone who has expressed concern, trust me, this was never a fly by night publisher. This isn't my first rodeo. I'm well aware of scams and this was never one. When I say well known publisher, I mean well known publisher. I was just frustrated with the lack of contact and that has been satisfactorily acknowledged. :)

So thank you everyone for your opinions and concerns.

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! That's fantastic news.

thisisobservantme

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have no experience really with this, so feel free to ignore this reply. If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for them. I mean, be polite, be patient, I mean, they did have a family emergency, but that's all you can do. its not fair to you that you have to wait around so if you feel like you should "shop around elsewhere" then...do what you have to do.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't updated. My manuscript has sold. We're onto discussing revisions, contract terms and future ideas. The editor has been very apologetic and super sweet about the lack of contract. And believe me for everyone who has expressed concern, trust me, this was never a fly by night publisher. This isn't my first rodeo. I'm well aware of scams and this was never one. When I say well known publisher, I mean well known publisher. I was just frustrated with the lack of contact and that has been satisfactorily acknowledged. :)

So thank you everyone for your opinions and concerns.

Good for you! Sometimes good things do come for those who....

As for someone not working on Fridays, could be kudos for a company that's flexible with schedules rather than a sign of unprofessionalism.

As for waiting. I had to grit my teeth from October to May before one editor could arrange enough things with his colleagues and superiors to make a solid offer. Also, stuff happens. So, yeah. Patience is a writerly virtue to cultivate. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.