Mood Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxygenius

I was just wondering, if you guys write in complete silence or if there's any background music? Favorite albums? If so, who ya' listenin' to?

Og

Betty W01

I was just wondering, if you guys write in complete silence

:ha

I have an out-of-work husband, two live-in young adults and one nearly live-in son's fiancee, a phone that never stops ringing and is always answered - even when I'm in the midst of writing - since it may be an interview offer for DH or an editor for me (but is instead 99% of the time one of DD's friends) and a troupe of YA friends trekking in and out of my son's bedroom next door and DD's down the hall 24/7. Writing in silence... I wish!

When I do listen to music, I like Norah Jones, Kenny G, Michael Bolton (I heard that retching noise and I'm ignoring you), some Grateful Dead, contemporary Christian worship music (some faves - Brian Doerksen, Kirk Franklin, Third Day, Twyla Paris, Keith Green) and soundtracks (best ones - A Shot at Glory, The Lord of the Rings, The Lord of the Dance, and A Knight's Tale.)

In other words, when I do write to music, my music taste is eclectic and it depends on the day and the project what I listen to.

00000373.gif

If I'm not answering the #$%^& phone for a daughter who isn't home.

rtilryarms

stevens, taylor, tull

stevens, taylor, tull,
Beatles
Matchbox20
contemporary.
no rap

maestrowork

Re: stevens, taylor, tull

A favorite is "The Secret Garden" -- great for writing one of those moody, romantic or tender scenes.

The "Bicentennial Man" soundtrack. The "1492: Conquest of Paradise" soundtrack. The "Lord of The Rings" soundtrack.

Queen.

An assortment of techno/trance dance mixes.

stormie267

Whatever my two teenage sons are listening to when they're home. One likes '60's music and the other likes anything from the late '80's on.

There was a time, for two whole long years, second son loved rap. He kept it low enough for us not to hear the words, but under my feet I felt the steady bass thumping sound. For hours. Tylenol was my friend and companion near the computer.

When I'm blissfully alone, I mostly crave peace and quiet.

Betty W01

Having a son who listens to rap music for hours is like living inside a giant heart. Not one of my life's ambitions....

He moved out and I miss him, but I don't miss the bass.

qatz

back when i could

stones, tull, bobbie, cream. i was practicing law and i'd have the stones blasting at earthquake level. made answering the phone an adventure--

"What? What? Oh, hi, Judge! Wait a second!" *stumbles downstairs, turns down music, runs back up* "Yeah, Judge, you still there? Yah, I'm all right. What was that? Um ... oh, 'Sympathy for the Devil' or something. What's up, Judge?"

Q

ps. I write in silence now; my computer's gone deaf and I gave away the sound system, or lost it in a poker game.

Betty W01

Betty's claim to fame...

She once saw Cream in concert (from about 30 ft. away)!:snoopy

I loooove Eric Clapton!! :clap

qatz

kewl

so did i, but not as close. clapton is great. miles too. all the masters of the blues. carlos santana.

rtilryarms

Dude

I worked at Pirates World down here in Dania, FL as a Ride Supervisor from 1970 until it closed I think in '74. On weekends we would double as backstage security for concerts. PW attracted a lot of big names:

Deep Purple
Tull
Chicago
Three Dog Night
Alice Cooper
BST
Grateful Dead
Steely Dan
Johnny Winter

I saw them all, remember little and liked a few.

rt

Betty W01

Re: Dude

YOU SAW THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!?

:hail we are not worthy! Wait until I tell my kids I exchange e-mails with someone who actually saw them in person. <sigh> You are sooooo lucky.

And hey, I went to Pirate's World, still have a little silver enameled PW charm bracelet charm. Sometime in 60's, though, so we would not have crossed paths. Small world!

rtilryarms

Small World

YOU SAW THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!?

Sure did.
But they looked like all the other bands, shadowy silhouettes amongst the swirling smoke. All I remember was they were loud. I had no idea who they were (or any of them). I just enjoyed the prominence of wearing the multi colored striped Pirates shirt (polyester yaach) they handed out so we wouldn't get arrested when we cleaned up the garbage under the bleachers during and after the concert. We used to go under the bleachers every time the cops swept a section. Some of my cohorts just tossed their full pillow cases over the fence lol. I turned mine in, I was sort of the token straight guy, ya know, the designated spokesteen that Officers would talk to for assurances of law and order and celebacy.

rtilryarms

Pirates World

Betty,
We may have crossed paths.

I started in 1968 not long after the official opening (It opened illegally without City approval first and got shut down. My Brother and Sister were there from day one (and day one again).

I started on kiddy rides because I was so tiny for my age (15?)

One day, as a joke, they put me on the Steeple Chase.

Now, the Steeple Chase was available to Pirates World only because the ride, 2 people riding strapless on a fiberglass horse along thin mini-rails, had been banned in several States.
The Steeple Chase, originating at Coney Island, at one time resulted in the most lawsuits in Theme Park annals.
The brake system to stop the horses at the end of the ride was not very good so took the largest employees Pirates World could hire to accomplish the task. Two were required in the rain.

So they put me there, small, frail, skinny, wise-ass , big mouth. As a joke, they told me to stop the horses for a while and took out the Polaroids. This was going to be fun!
I stopped it the first tiem, using my body as a wedge and the soles of my feet as the brake. Prior to this everyone sort of ran with it, muscles bulging and jugulars popping out of their necks, eventually slowing it until it stopped. I stopped it with little effort at about the same distance.
Soon I was the Big Show. We held contests to see who could stop the horses in the shortest distance. The big guys could not perfect my method. Instead they would slip and fall, leaving it to me to stop the horses while the riders clutched the reigns white-knuckled for fear they had to go around the treacherous track one more time. Not with me there they wouldn’t!
Soon I was the talk of Pirates World, one of the attractions. The contests continued until one of the big guys got hurt. Stupid big guys! They brought in Engineers and shut the ride down. The Engineers developed a clever solution; they recommended that we fix the broken brakes. After that anyone was able to stop the horses and my 15 minutes of fame was timing down. So I was promoted to Ride Supervisor and had to deal with the older and bigger boys and girls. My rides were:
Steeple Chase
Log Flume
Slide
Slanted House
Classic Cars
Beetle Race
Lover’s Coach.

And of course weekend nights, designated goody two shoes security at the concerts! ROCK ON!

qatz

hey betty

I saw the grateful dead at least twice, quicksilver with janis, cream, bb king, and, uh, i forget. Q

Betty W01

Re: hey betty

cool.

music341.gif

I've also seen... let's see: Tex Ritter, BB King, John Sebastian, James Gang with Joe Walsh (they played our prom), Newsboys, Supertones, Sanctus Real, Michael W. Smith, Railroad Earth, and Michael Bolton - twice. (I know you're groaning, but I have my fingers in my ears and can't hear you...) :grin

rtilryarms

others

I haven't gone to many concerts since I haev to pay now. But I saw Neil Diamond 5 times in the early '70's, late, 70's late 80's and late '90's about 5 years ago.

Just saw the Eagles Reunion last year.

Met a few famous Actors and Musicians while I worked at a Psycho Hospital. YES I said WORKED!

Gosh, lots of stories

WordSoup

Re: others

I don't listen to much music while writing. Cranking up Queen or Janis while doing housework is another story.

OK - I want to know which one of you ex-hippies went to Woodstock????? :hat

aka eraser

I didn't go to Woodstock but I dropped acid before seeing the movie. Does that count?

biotales

:peace
If you remember the 60's via the movie.... then baby you weren't there....
The 60's ended by the way in 1965.... then it was 1971....
thats the truth...
Biotales

Cary

Yarmy-Who did you meet at the crazy house ??
The best concert I ever saw was ZZ Top headlining with Skynard as their warm up band....awesome !! Best show was Kansas, during their 'dust in the wind' reign.Bad Co gave a spirited show, Its amazing they could finish... never SEEN so much weed!!! :hat ..I didnt even smoke an left blasted!! What I would like to see END however, is the 'band reunions', where the lead singers still think theyve 'got It', when It was gone 15 years ago.I saw Robert Plant on east 57th St the other night.He didnt sound all that bad, but when he started to gyrate all around to one of their faster (sexier) songs....I almost hurled.....Same goes for Billy Squire...sounds O.K, but ruined his image for me, stuffing that extra 30 lbs into leather pants........ohhhhh....I feel faint.....The moral here...know when to give It up!!!! Carybelle

rtilryarms

Mums the word

I won't talk about people I met there that are still alive but Keith Moon with The Who visited us a couple of times. He was cool once he became coherent.

He died not long after his last visit

Cary

Re: Mums the word

That was par for the course, wasnt It??? In the day?? Filthy rich an majorly incoherant....then dead?? I think that was the order... Caybelle

Status
Not open for further replies.