PDA

View Full Version : How to use Beta Reader reviews?

keston925
09-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Wow, I am so green and inexperienced. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about anything.....

Stupid question?

How does one go about utilizing Beta Reader reviews? Do you send them along with query letters?

Thank you all in advance...

Keston

Kerosene
09-24-2013, 08:38 PM
You look them over, agree or disagree with points, and then you revise your story/writing as you see fit.
Beta-reading comments aren't reviews, but analysis and critical thoughts to help you improve your story/writing. They aren't used in any marketing whatsoever.

Read the stickies in this forum.

cornflake
09-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Wow, I am so green and inexperienced. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about anything.....

Stupid question?

How does one go about utilizing Beta Reader reviews? Do you send them along with query letters?

Keston

No. Beta readers are for you.

Think of this like you're entering the Pilsbury Bake Off or what have you. You sit alone in the kitchen thinking about what you might be able to make to enter - then you might scribble down possibilities. Then, you start constructing actual dishes out of the recipes you were thinking about.

Eventually, you've got a recipe you're happy with. You tested it a bunch of times, you think it tastes good and will appeal to people, but you're the only one who's tasted it, so you make it for your friends, family, maybe a neighbour, perhaps that person you know from someplace who you know is really a foodie when it comes to the type of thing you're making.

Those people are like beta readers. Beta readers don't have to be friends or family; lots of people don't like using friends and family, for the same reason recipe testers might not - friends and family will likely say they like your stuff regardless. Some people have beta readers of the general type, some of the super-into-that-food type, some have a mix. Regardless, that's a beta reader.

Those people tell you things like it's not moist enough or the flavours don't gel or it just looks plain weird. You might not want to hear it, as you think it's great, but you need to, if you want to do well at the bake off, because you can't judge your own creation objectively.

You don't have to change your recipe according to what each and every beta says - they all have their own tastes and quirks too. You might disregard the one who says it should be more moist if everyone else says it's plenty moist or if you know that person likes really soggy cakes. You might be more moved if everyone says it's fugly even if you think it's cute. Once you decide what you want to alter about your recipe and do that and maybe test again with the same or even a new taster, you might feel ready to enter it into the contest.

The contest entry? That's the query.

keston925
09-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Ah... Thanks guys!

isitkind
09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Wow, I am so green and inexperienced. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about anything.....Stupid question? How does one go about utilizing Beta Reader reviews? Do you send them along with query letters?

Keston

It was good of you to ask. Good questions.

thothguard51
09-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Beta readers and Reviewers are two different things.

A beta reader is for the writer, to help improve their writing by pointing out what works and does not work.

A reviewer is someone who reads the finished product, usually an Advanced Readers Copy or ARC, or the book after it is published. They offer reviews for other readers, not for the writer to muse over...

A Beta Reader, can be a reviewer, but they wear a different hat for each...

Little Ming
09-25-2013, 03:57 AM

Stupid question?

Keston

I'm also concerned you might not know the difference between a beta reader and a reviewer, or the purpose of a query letter.

Do read around and ask questions if you don't understand something.