• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Do you think writer's block actually exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

legendary bum

needs to change her sheets
Registered
Reaction score
Some say writer's block just means you aren't telling the story you want to tell.

Do you agree?

Why are some stories easier to write than others?

Are the stories that come most easily to you always the best ones?

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Define writer's block. People debating it are often talking about different things.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, people claiming writer's block are worrying about stuff they shouldn't be, like writing the Great American Novel, or determining their style, or whether their chapters are too long or too short, instead of just telling a story. Basically self-induced via extraneous nonsense.

Note - I do differentiate between "writer's block" and a stumbling block. Stumbling blocks are part and parcel of writing, and typically just need time to be mulled over before stepping over them.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Some say writer's block just means you aren't telling the story you want to tell.
I was taught early on that there's no such thing as writer's block, just a lazy writer.

And to this day, when I hit a block and eventually pull myself out I see that the problem that I faced could have been solved if I had just kept to the conventional wisdom passed down from other writers and plain old common sense. I was just too lazy to look for other angles of approach. Once I find an angle, I stampede off. It's that latency when I'm too bored/lazy/tired to just take a step to the side to view the problem at a different angle.

Why are some stories easier to write than others?
I've never written a story that was easier than the last.

I just got through a bout with my laziness. I stopped writing because I was stuck in a certain situation where I wanted to establish one character's motivation (without mentioning their goals) through another character to other characters. And this was associated with a whole mess of problems, namely: Making the reader care about a character, when all the others have something better going for them. I worked out that what I was trying to do with my main character sucked, and once I cut them from the book entirely and assigned a different character the role, the entire story flowed so much better. It took me weeks to understand: I have problem. What do? Oh, remove thing that causes problem. All better now. I had fucking cancer! I was just too lazy to take the time to look at the problem correctly.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Writers block is born of fear. What the writer is afraid of doesn't matter, but every time I've been blocked it's because I'm afraid.

And the best cure is to keep writing, even if all you are doin is brainstorming the 'stuck' place for a few days.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
The times when I have been "blocked" from writing were all times when I was one of the following (or a combo):

1) Physically exhausted
2) Depressed*
3) Extraordinarily anxious (about other things)

Beating myself up over not writing in those instances seemed counter-productive so I just didn't write and worked on changing the situations so I could write again.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
IMO it's real. I had it one time and no matter what I did in an attempt to trick myself into writing, I just couldn't seem to get any words out. I was stressed and tired and it literally felt like a wall was in place. Time helped, as did reading a lot. The worst thing a person can do is condemn themselves, or give the block any power. You have to relax and have faith that you'll write again. If you wrote once, it will happen again.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Or anxiety.

I'd say anxiety/fear/whatnot is just the trigger for the laziness.

It's like standing at the base of a mountain, wishing to hike to the summit. For whatever reason the hiker stops themselves and starts doing other things rather than challenging the job at hand. "Climb to the top? Ah... I'm hungry, let's have lunch." Completely turns away from what's at hand.

Like you said, best to get on with it. All you need is to survey that area and take that first step.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's laziness. But then it depends on what you're talking about. There are different reasons people stop writing and different situations people call having writer's block. I do think there can be an actual block, though. It's like getting tongue tied and having your mind go blank when talking to someone. For that period in time you might be completely unable to say anything. I think a similar situation can happen in writing, and both are generally the result of severe anxieties and sometimes those anxieties need to be addressed rather than just barreled through.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
There are some forms of writer's block I believe are real. When someone's very stressed, depressed, or physically ill, that can certainly create a block. Sort of like the 'spoons' metaphor in chronic illness, you have to have the physical and mental energy to write.

I also firmly believe it's possible to get 'blocked' or stuck on an individual project. When something didn't work the way you wanted or you just plain have no idea what will happen next, it can sometimes take time to solve the problem. Though, when I get stuck on something, I just go work on another project until a solution presents itself.

I certainly don't believe in the mystical 'the force muse is not with me' type of writer's block. If there's nothing physically or mentally wrong with you, then you *can* write, if you really want to.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
It seems that whenever we discuss Writers' Block everyone uses it as an opportunity to subtly, and often not so subtly, break the "Respect Your Fellow Writers" rule.

"They're lazy."

Really? Feel like passing any other judgments? Maybe we're fat and ugly, too.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Writer's block.

It exists, it's real, it's out there, lurking in every bush, hiding behind every tree, and it'll stop you up faster than a one-kilo block of gorgonzola cheese on heavy Russian black bread with no water.

Constipation is far worse, by the way.:D

Okay, seriously, I'd agree with the poster who said that there were stumbling blocks. I've had many in my work, so I always go back to the beginning, read through the manuscript and find out why the character does what he or she does or why he or she feels that way about the situation or another person or something. After doing so, I can go to the bathroom again, metaphorically speaking.

(No, it doesn't mean I crap all over my keyboard. Major ick).

Now, there ARE times when I'm lazy as hell, but that's me and no one else. I would never presume to speak for another writer. Just for me, there are times when I just don't want to write and leave my manuscript for another day. However, once I get back to it--and if I'm really excited by the concept then I'll WANT to get back to it--the ideas come once again and it's off to the races.

Or the bathroom, whichever comes first.:)

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
There are some forms of writer's block I believe are real. When someone's very stressed, depressed, or physically ill, that can certainly create a block.

I don't think you could call that writer's block though. During those periods there are a lot of things one can't do; writing is just one of them.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
It doesn't appear to be very active.

*smacks self on the wrist*

That shouldn't be funny. Stop laughing, Siana.

All joking aside, I'm going to present myself as an example of something that may or may not be writer's block. I don't know that I want to actually use the term on myself, since it's so often associated with laziness, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative.

Basically, what was happening was that I could start writing something new and have a fair idea of where it was going, but as soon as the writing itself headed in a direction that looked like it was going to produce emotional intensity, I might as well have run straight into a brick wall. I could go sideways a little way or step back and try a different angle of approach, but hitting the wall killed the story. There are at least five ideas I've attempted and killed in the last twelve months.

The thing is, it only looks like a pattern from a certain perspective. An incomplete picture - five unfinished first drafts and a complaint about hitting a mental brick wall - could just as easily be a picture of laziness, a problem with choosing ideas that have enough in them to be a whole novel or even just an inability to commit to one thing. Unless I spill all my deepest, darkest secrets and come up with a full explanation of what's happening in my life and how it's affecting my writing, a plea for help is likely to be misinterpreted as 'oh, she's just another lazy writer who can't finish stuff'.

I may delete all that.

So... yes to the question of whether writer's block is real. Sort of, anyway. I have no sympathy for people who get a tiny bit stuck on one scene and plaster "I have writer's block" all over the internet, but circumstance has forced me to believe that there's more than one kind of 'writer's block'.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Often when I've had "writer's block" it's really been fear. Either fear that I'm not good enough or the book's not good enough or even fear that what I'm writing is too painful for me or too much like something I or a friend has gone through.

But there have been times when I just didn't know what to do next. That is, I knew I had to get from A to B and couldn't think of how, or I knew I needed to fix this or that but I wasn't sure how to accomplish it. Those times, I usually need a break, either from that story or from writing altogether. Sometimes it's as easy as taking a shower or a walk. Sometimes I have to shelve a book and come back to it later. Most of the time I convince myself to just push through and fix on another draft if needed, but there has been an occasion or two where I just had to put something away.

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I think writer's block is real. Once upon a time I didn't. I have experienced it twice, and while prompted by other life events/happenings, it felt like it's own entity? disorder?

Then there are stumbling blocks, also real. For me those are more clear cut--also more frequent.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's a name it and claim it disease. If you truly believe it exists, it does exist. If you truly believe it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist.

The history of "writer's block" is well-documented, and reading it will open your eyes quickly.

flea23

thewordmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fleaflyfloo.blogspot.com
I have such a long list of things I want to write about, I just skip one for awhile and move on to the next, often going through my list (about 20 pages long and growing) until I find a bulb going off in my head. It may be years before I get back to what it was I was stuck on. Then I have a new perspective.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The times when I have been "blocked" from writing were all times when I was one of the following (or a combo):

1) Physically exhausted
2) Depressed*
3) Extraordinarily anxious (about other things)

Beating myself up over not writing in those instances seemed counter-productive so I just didn't write and worked on changing the situations so I could write again.

^^^This, in spades. My writing blocks usually come when I'm exhausted in real life or anxious/depressed about (pick one) work, money, family, health.

Sometimes I'll be stuck on a transition scene, which can FEEL like a block because it prevents me from moving forward, but that's just moving from one scene to the next, versus not being able to think at all.

Not being able to think, to process the concept of writing words or create plots or imagine characters? Oh, writer's block is very real. Trust me.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Bein' lazy and quoting myself, saves me from having to type it all again.

We've already had a fair number of threads -- with polls, even -- debating whether writer's block actually exists at all. These have been permitted in the spirit of balanced discussion, even though they tend to attract negativity and sarcasm.

It should perhaps be noted that this forum was created so that members might offer support and suggest positive ideas/solutions to those suffering from the catch-all term that is "writer's block", a condition or phase that may exist for a wide variety of reasons and is damn frustrating when it strikes.

Rather than re-hashing what's gone before, my advice is to read older threads in this forum on the off-chance you find something helpful that sparks an idea, triggers a thought, suggests a trick, that might offer a way around or through the problem. At the very least, take away the fact that you're not alone, that a fair number of people suffer from writer's block from time to time. So much so, in fact, that we even have a forum for it.

Also:
I feel sympathy for writers who get stuck or bogged down for whatever reasons (pat pat, been there myself), and admiration for those who can forge ahead and get the novel completed (well done you).

What I'll never get is why those who don't suffer writer's block seem unable or unwilling to comprehend that others do suffer, and why they don't feel any empathy even if they don't suffer from it themselves.

But that's the human race for ya, shrug.

-Derek

M J Austwick

Registered
Reaction score
I don't buy it. In fact I wrote a blog post about it here:

http: //www.mjaustwick.com/index.php/writers-block/

Last edited by a moderator:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The fact that you or anyone else doesn't buy it doesn't help those who claim to suffer from it and I hope you don't have any cause to change your mind in later years.

I don't really follow what it is or how it makes one feel because I don't think I suffer from it no matter how long the gaps between my writings, but there are folk who claim it does exist and is hard to overcome.

There is nothing to be gained by brushing it aside in the presence of those who suffer from it.

I don't buy it. In fact I wrote a blog post about it here:

http://www.mjaustwick.com/index.php/writers-block/

Status
Not open for further replies.