PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Beta for Everything I Needed to Know About Parenting I Learned in Prison

Literateparakeet
09-22-2013, 04:45 PM
How do hootch, shanks, and prison riots relate to parenting? In this mostly serious book, parenting is explored through the lens of lessons learned while working as a correctional officer. Written as a series of short reflections, each reflection begins with a story from prison life and then relates that to parenting.

Everything I Needed to Know About Parenting, I Learned in Prison is a short work of approx 12,000 words. Think novella, but non-fiction.

What I am looking for is mostly a content edit. Is it boring or pedantic? (geez I hope not but my inner critic insists that I ask). Interesting? And any other suggestions, or comments are welcome. I'm not particularly sensitive, but I would appreciate hearing what you liked along with what didn't work.

I am willing to swap, and I will read just about anything but erotica.

Thanks!

writeaway
09-25-2013, 08:15 AM
I'd be willing to read it. How soon do you need the feedback?

Literateparakeet
09-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Great, thanks! I'll send you a PM.

`Raine
09-27-2013, 12:11 AM
I'd also be willing to read it, depending on your timeline.

Sounds like we may have similar backgrounds too - I was a C.O. for 6 years, then left to be a stay-at-home mom when my son was born.

Literateparakeet
09-27-2013, 03:30 AM
Thanks Raine! You are right, we have that in common. I loved being a stay at home mom, but now I'm working again..this time with teenage sex offenders...oi vey!

There's not a rush, a month or so would be fine. I'm not in a big hurry, I just need some feedback. I'll send you a PM. Thanks again!

T Robinson
09-27-2013, 08:48 PM
I would be glad to help. My background is prison and probation, so I might not be the best to tell you how it reads to someone who has not been in the situation. I do generally have a good idea how to look at things objectively. Most of the time, I have no choice. Have to follow SOP. Good luck.

Alpha Echo
09-27-2013, 09:10 PM
I'd be willing to read as well. Sounds interesting. Let me know your timeline. :)

Literateparakeet
09-28-2013, 01:32 AM
T Robinson and AlphaEcho, thanks! I really appreciate it. I'll send you a PM. :)

Dylan_Perry
09-30-2013, 02:05 AM
Sounds very interesting. I don't know much about prisons, and less about parenting (being a 21-year old guy) but I would love to read it.

Literateparakeet
09-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks Dylan, I would love to get your feedback. I'll send you a PM.