Declassified: 1961 North Carolina H-Bomb Near-Disaster

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/sep/20/goldsboro-revisited-declassified-document

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24183879

On 23rd January 1961 a B-52 bomber carrying at least one four-megaton hydrogen bomb broke up over North Carolina.

The bomb fell out of the plane.

Its detonation switches activated.

Only the failure of a single low-voltage switch stopped it from detonating over Goldsboro, NC.

The incident was classified until now.

Think about it. If a nuke destroyed a North Carolina city in 1961, what would have come next?

EDIT: Both the Guardian and the BBC's stories cite "two" "four-megaton" bombs, but if the original report scan is correct (thank you, dfwtinman!), it was actually a single "twenty-four megaton" bomb.

Last edited:

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Rise of the Machines.

Read about it this morning. Gave me quite a scare. Frankly, I'm surprised there's never been an accidental detonation.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/sep/20/goldsboro-revisited-declassified-document

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24183879

On 23rd January 1961 a B-52 bomber carrying two four-megaton hydrogen bombs broke up over North Carolina.

The bombs fell out of the plane.

One activated.

Only the failure of a single low-voltage switch stopped it from detonating over Goldsboro, NC.

The incident was classified until now.

Think about it. If a nuke destroyed a North Carolina city in 1961, what would have come next?

Nuclear disarmament? Or were we too crazy for that in 1961? This would have been 3 days after Kennedy's inauguration. An opportunity, maybe? Or a derail of his entire administration?

On a side note, after the sighs of relief ended, I bet there was a big investigation over why that switch failed, and corrective action to make sure it didn't fail again.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the Editor's Desk

Small error, big difference. Only one bomb, not two

The Guardian link provides the source document, which document very clearly describes a single 24 megaton bomb, whereas the Guardian article describes two bombs.

Then, BBC story (without any source documents ) describes 2 bombs, 4 megatons each. That is, the BBC identifies 2 4mt bombs, rather than a single 24mt bomb (perhaps another source of confusion is that the bomb is described as "an MK Mod 2 bomb", meaning model 2, not 2 bombs). Kinda of a big deal on one level, not so much on others.

If I am not reading the source document correctly, let me know. But, bless me, I don't think I am.

(It is also not clear that a bomb detonated in this way would produce its design yield. The guy from Sandia Labs says only there could have been a nuclear "burst." Not to say it would not still have been a catastrophe-- the source docs says as much-- just seems like an important enough story to get the particulars right).

Last edited:

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
This would have been 3 days after Kennedy's inauguration. An opportunity, maybe? Or a derail of his entire administration?

3 days after JFK's inauguration, he was still largely beholden to the CIA. I'm betting WW3 would have followed soon after, with the CIA blaming the Soviets, followed by the collapse of life as we know it.

Scary stuff.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Small error, big difference. Only one bomb, not two

The Guardian link provides the source document, which document very clearly describes a single 24 megaton bomb, whereas the Guardian article describes two bombs.

Then, BBC story (without any source documents ) describes 2 bombs, 4 megatons each. That is, the BBC identifies 2 4mt bombs, rather than a single 24mt bombs (perhaps another source of confusion is that the bomb is described as "an MK Mod 2 bomb", meaning model 2, not 2 bombs). Kinda of a big deal on one level, not so much on others.

If I am not reading the source document correctly, let me know. But, bless me, I don't think I am.

(It is also not clear that a bomb detonated in this way would produce its design yield. The guy from Sandia Labs says only there could have been a nuclear "burst." Not to say it would not still have been a catastrophe-- the source docs says as much-- just seems like an important enough story to get the particulars right).

:eek:

I think you are right.

Both the Guardian and the BBC articles said "two" "four-megaton" bombs, but darned if it doesn't look like the original report says a single "twenty-four megaton" bomb.

I shall consider editing the OP after a closer look.

dfwtinman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
3 days after JFK's inauguration, he was still largely beholden to the CIA. I'm betting WW3 would have followed soon after, with the CIA blaming the Soviets, followed by the collapse of life as we know it.

Scary stuff.

Nice catch!

This being Dallas, the site of the grassy knoll and "Texas School Book Depository" (now a museum), and with the 50th Anniversary of the Kennedy assassination being just 2 months and 1 day away (11/22), the Dallas Morning News has been featuring a nearly year-long and extremely interesting and in-depth retrospective series on this tragedy (which many here regard as a Dark Ghost Cloud of Pain forever shading the city). Maybe the best reporting I've seen the DMN do in over two decades.

But, as a result, we also get more than our fair share of Conspiracy nutsTheorists. Wondering if Oswald acted alone isn't nuts. But some of the massive CIA-Teamsters-Military-LBJ-Mafia All for One and One for All scenarios are more than a little meshuga.

It's funny-peculiar living here at times in respect to this story. I know a few people who knew Jack Ruby and spent time in his club (now in their mid 70's and up). I know quite a few people whose parents claim to have known him. I always thought Ruby's shooting of Oswald strongly pointed to a criminal conspiracy. But, bearing in mind that people often want to portray themselves as knowing "the real story," it seems a nearly universal consensus that Jack Ruby (who had plenty of Dallas PD big wigs at his club if not on his payroll) was exactly the kind of hot head who'd have done such a wild ass thing, all the time expecting he would be seen as a national here. Hey, FWIW.

dfwtinman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:eek:

I think you are right.

Both the Guardian and the BBC articles said "two" "four-megaton" bombs, but darned if it doesn't look like the original report says a single "twenty-four megaton" bomb.

I shall consider editing the OP after a closer look.

While the source doc is speaking only to a single bomb, there is a footnote on the second page of the source document which cites to a paper entitled "Analysis of the Safety Aspects of the Mark 39 Mod 2 bombs involved in the [crash in question]. That said, it says nothing of how many bombs 2 or more?) nor does it describe what took became of any other bomb. And clearly this was a 24 Megaton Bomb, not a 4 megaton bomb.

I also noted that the source document doesn't refer to an h-bomb, though (with google's help) the 24mt yield clearly means this was thermonuclear bomb (since the largest (yield) pure fission ("Atomic") bomb ever built was a US bomb tested in 1952 rated at 500kt (.5 mt) called "Ivy King" (weird to have named all these bombs). "Little boy" and "fat man" were between 12-18 Kyle and 18-23 kt respectively.

So, if you put the avg of those two bombs at 20kt (to use an easy number) , a bomb 50 times stronger would = 1mt. Or 1,000 times as strong to get to 20mg The BBC article says the bomb in question was only 260 times as strong as the two bombs used in Japan (not even close).

For a thermonuclear bomb to work, you need the fission device to work first and provide even energy to trigger the fusion bomb. So, no telling what would have resulted (at least not from the source).

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting to check out how big that bomb is by comparing it to the one that was dropped on Hiroshima.

The Hiroshima was a 16 kiloton (equivalent to 16,000 tons of TNT). A 24 megaton bomb is equivalent to 24,000,000 tons of TNT, or 1,500 times the force of the Hiroshima bomb.

The area of destruction doesn't go up linearly with TNT equivalent, but it does go up.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

I think the "two four-megaton" bombs is almost certainly correct, considering that the U.S. arsenal never contained a 24-megaton device, as far as we know. The largest thermonuclear bomb ever tested was a Soviet test in their remote Arctic Novaya Zemlaya islands, in the early 1960s, with an estimated yield of about 50 megatons. And that was far far larger than anything the U.S. had; it was also determined to be operationally impractical. What I read about this near-debacle indicated clearly that two bombs were involved, one of which came near to being detonated.

However you categorize it, as a "detonation" or a "burst", it would have been the worst single-incident catastrophe in the history of the United States, and a unique event in the history of the world. No accidental detonation of a nuclear warhead has ever occurred.

Thank whatever gods you believe in.

caw

dfwtinman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, should we start calling you SR71 Blacbird? :)

the U.S. arsenal never contained a 24-megaton device, as far as we know.

As far as we knew, no unexploded thermo-nuke had ever fallen out of the sky and landed in a North Carolina

But srsly, you appear to be spot on about the weapon's yield. While frankly impossible for me to square with the source document, I noticed that the source document referred to this bomb as a both a Mark 39 (or MK-39). After additional searching, I came across a web-site mother load of nuke info. (nuclearweaponarchive.org). One page purports to list all US nuclear weapons. Scrolling down, I found a entry for a MK-39-- listed as having a yield of 4mt.

http://http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/Allbombs.html

My original quandary rose from the source document, which states in the very first sentence of "The Report":

"In one of these incidents, a B-52 Bomber had to jettison a 24 megaton bomb over North Carolina. The bomb fell in a field without exploding."

That is verbatim.

The author of the report is "Dr Ralph Lapp, a physicist involved in the Manhattan Project." The "source document" is the title page of Lapp's report, together with comments from "Parker F Jones, the supervisor of the nuclear weapons safety department at Sandia national laboratories." As specific as Jones' criticisms of Lapp are, and as relatively more knowledgeable as Jones appears regarding the incident, he does not challenge that first sentence.

One additional point of interest: in lines7-8 (down from the caption which reads: "The Report"), Lapp once again refers to a "24 megaton warhead." Jones corrects Lapp in the right hand margin, saying "bomb not warhead." I have no idea, however, if the US ever had single bomb with multiple warheads 1961.

The largest thermonuclear bomb ever tested was a Soviet test ..."

The so-called "Tsar Bomb" (in the West, "Big Ivan" in the SU), tested in 1961, the same year as this incident. The specs I've read in several places put the yield at 50mt (some say 57). Interestingly, the bomb's design yield was 100 mt, but one of the fusion bombs, designed as one stage of this weapon's 3-stages, was replaced with a lead bomb for testing in order to reduce the fall-out (but the test "proved" the 100 megaton design). Meaning of course that a weapon designed for half the yield could have been lighter and smaller.

Estimates put the bomb's weight at approximately 27 tons, length at 8 meters and the circumference at 2.1 meter. It was dropped from a Russian propeller driven TU 95 Bomber on a parachute.

As you said, I found nothing to indicate any public knowledge of a US bomb any larger than a test of 15mt

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Russia/TsarBomba.html (citing many sources, including Janes Defense Weekly.

What I read about this near-debacle indicated clearly that two bombs were involved, one of which came near to being detonated.

Here I'm still a little cornfused. I assume by "read" you mean the two linked articles? I ask only because the articles purport to be based on the newly declassified source document- -which itself says nothing of two bombs. I am not saying it wasn't two, as the articles state (as I originally noted), just noting another discrepancy between the source document and the articles.

... it would have been the worst single-incident catastrophe in the history of the United States.

If we're speaking of man-made catastrophes, pretty hard to disagree. Could be true either way. Good thing no one will ever know.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

Scary stuff.
This, and we'd probably all be dealing with American fascism right now. Interesting stuff for an alternate history story. However, I feel less aghast at the historical disaster that didn't happen than about the modern question of whether the safety and failsafe systems really are any better now than they were then. Considering that we just had a deranged individual commit a mass shooting on a naval installation, I'm not so sure it's the past I should be scared by.

`Raine

Registered
Reaction score
It was two 4 megaton bombs (3.8 megaton Mark 39s).

My dad told me about this years ago. He lived in Goldsboro in the 60s or 70s. The report may have been classified still, but a lot about the incident was public knowledge.

The thing that always freaked me out is that one bomb was recovered, but most of the other is still buried about 10 feet under a field (the water table is very high there and flooding kept them from removing it). Enough was removed to keep it from ever arming or detonating and most of the nuclear material was removed, but it still contains uranium and other things.

Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash

Last edited:

dfwtinman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well hell's bells. Next time it's straight to wiki ;)

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It was two 4 megaton bombs (3.8 megaton Mark 39s).

My dad told me about this years ago. He lived in Goldsboro in the 60s or 70s. The report may have been classified still, but a lot about the incident was public knowledge.

The thing that always freaked me out is that one bomb was recovered, but most of the other is still buried about 10 feet under a field (the water table is very high there and flooding kept them from removing it). Enough was removed to keep it from ever arming or detonating and most of the nuclear material was removed, but it still contains uranium and other things.

Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash
Oh, lovely. How fabulous. *facepalm*

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score

Scary stuff.
Sorry that I'm so dense, but I don't understand that first sentence. Why would he have been "still largely beholden to the CIA?"

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As a slight aside, my understanding of the Russian evaluation of that ginormous bomb, yes, originally aimed at a 100-mt product, but scaled back to the still stupendous ~50-mt level, was that, after analyzing the result, they came to the conclusion that it would be much more effective to drop many smaller (and cheaper) thermonukes than one colossal one.

(I now claim to have written one of the most convoluted sentences I have ever produced.)

caw

dfwtinman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry that I'm so dense, but I don't understand that first sentence. Why would he have been "still largely beholden to the CIA?"

I took that as merely an appreciation that "newbies" need time to gather their sea legs. Perhaps an unwarranted assumption.

Last edited:

dfwtinman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I now claim to have written one of the most convoluted sentences I have ever produced.)

caw

Hahaha. If that sentence is you at your worst, you've no real worries. I seem to commit far worse syntactical sins with regularity.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I followed it perfectly well. :D

dfwtinman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I followed it perfectly well. :D

Hmm, don't I have a friend, newly up and moved to North Carolina?

I do hope she is nowhere near the reported remnants of the second bomb (per the above wiki-link)

;)