My Self-Publishing Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleidoscopes

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Emily, I'm 13, and a couple of days ago I decided to finally go ahead and self-publish a 2,500 short story I wrote onto Kindle.
I thought I'd go ahead and put up stuff on here as I market it and all that, as I've really enjoyed reading others self-publishing diaries - I hope mine isn't too horrid in comparison, haha.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9H1G2U/?tag=absowrit-20 <that's the link to my book, as soon as I remember how I will be updating my signature with it.
So far, I have sold 12 copies, four to friends. The other eight are probably because I'm donating most of the proceeds to a cancer foundation, and so they've tweeted about it. I know 12 copies isn't much, but considering I haven't really done any marketing, and it's only been a couple of days, I'm pretty happy. :)
I recently joined Pinterest & have been doing more Twitter promotion & will start up a Facebook author page soon, so stay tuned to see how that will help with my sales...

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Welcome, Emily! Congratulations on writing your story and publishing it!

Did your parents help you set up your account with Amazon KDP? I ask because of your age.

I look forward to following your journey.

ETA: You may want to double check the name on the cover and the name on the copyright. They are different. That teddy bear is seriously cute!!!

Last edited:

Kaleidoscopes

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome & congrats!

Yes, my dad helped, for the tax information & all that stuff, since I'm a minor. :)

Yeah, I'm using my real name for the copyright, and a pen name for the rest of it - that might lead to some confusion, haha!

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
Good job and good luck. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing about your progress.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Thanks for the welcome & congrats!

Yes, my dad helped, for the tax information & all that stuff, since I'm a minor. :)

Yeah, I'm using my real name for the copyright, and a pen name for the rest of it - that might lead to some confusion, haha!

Good luck!

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Welcome Emily!
Congrats and I wish you the best of luck! I look forward to following your progress. Great job so far!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wow that is a nice cover! You are doing well. :) You can make a free Facebook author page and do other free promo things. (I'm not self published but authors published other ways do free promo for themselves too.) :) It's lovely you are doing something for charity too.

Last edited:

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Welcome Emily!

Your title and cover (in combination) are really intriguing for me. I might just have to read that. ;)

I look forward to hearing about your journey as things progress. I wish you tons of success, not only on this, but future projects as well!

___Mag

All worth doing is worth overdoing
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Emily,
Good for you. You might want to contact local news shows and magazines, and let them know of your publication. It will increase sales as a young author is inspiring and high interest. You will likely get some interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Emily.

I think this is a lovely thing that you're doing and I wish you all the best! Have you thought about asking a teacher if they can announce your story at a school assembly or during class? It would be nice if the school could back you to help you raise more money for your charity.

Good luck. :)

Kaleidoscopes

Registered
Reaction score
Sarah, thank you, I would do that, but I'm homeschooled, thank you for the suggestion, though. :)

I noticed it's been a few days since I last posted here so I thought I'd put up a quick update - I've only sold a few copies since last time I posted, but right now I am #3 in Teen & Young Adult Short Stories on Amazon, which is my highest ranking ever(before my highhest was #6) so I'm really happy about that. :D

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your sales so far, Emily. I love your cover and title, and I think it's fantastic that you're donating part of your profits to such a worthy organization. I hope it continues to go well for you.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I noticed it's been a few days since I last posted here so I thought I'd put up a quick update - I've only sold a few copies since last time I posted, but right now I am #3 in Teen & Young Adult Short Stories on Amazon, which is my highest ranking ever(before my highhest was #6) so I'm really happy about that. :D

Congrats--that's great news! I hope you keep writing.

Kaleidoscopes

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I haven't checked in on here in a while!
Well, I have an update - my short story has been free for a day and will be free for the remainder of the day, in an effort to possibly increase visibility and/or maybe get a review from it, and I've given away 52 free copies so far(not including a few here and there outside of the US, it's pretty cool because I normally don't get foreign downloads), not too big of a number, but it's pretty good, and 52 more than zero. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.