PDA

View Full Version : My Self-Publishing Journey

Kaleidoscopes
09-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Hello, I'm Emily, I'm 13, and a couple of days ago I decided to finally go ahead and self-publish a 2,500 short story I wrote onto Kindle.
I thought I'd go ahead and put up stuff on here as I market it and all that, as I've really enjoyed reading others self-publishing diaries - I hope mine isn't too horrid in comparison, haha.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9H1G2U <that's the link to my book, as soon as I remember how I will be updating my signature with it.
So far, I have sold 12 copies, four to friends. The other eight are probably because I'm donating most of the proceeds to a cancer foundation, and so they've tweeted about it. I know 12 copies isn't much, but considering I haven't really done any marketing, and it's only been a couple of days, I'm pretty happy. :)
I recently joined Pinterest & have been doing more Twitter promotion & will start up a Facebook author page soon, so stay tuned to see how that will help with my sales...

merrihiatt
09-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Welcome, Emily! Congratulations on writing your story and publishing it!

Did your parents help you set up your account with Amazon KDP? I ask because of your age.

I look forward to following your journey.

ETA: You may want to double check the name on the cover and the name on the copyright. They are different. That teddy bear is seriously cute!!!

Kaleidoscopes
09-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the welcome & congrats!

Yes, my dad helped, for the tax information & all that stuff, since I'm a minor. :)

Yeah, I'm using my real name for the copyright, and a pen name for the rest of it - that might lead to some confusion, haha!

Svader
09-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Good job and good luck. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing about your progress.

Kaleidoscopes
09-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Svader!

Since my first post, I've sold two more copies, one is my second one sold in the UK, the other is US. :)
I also joined Authorgraph, I'm not expecting to get many requests, I think it's pretty cool, though - http://www.authorgraph.com/authors/EmilyWritesALot.

merrihiatt
09-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome & congrats!

Yes, my dad helped, for the tax information & all that stuff, since I'm a minor. :)

Yeah, I'm using my real name for the copyright, and a pen name for the rest of it - that might lead to some confusion, haha!

Good luck!

Celeste Carrara
09-22-2013, 05:05 AM
Welcome Emily!
Congrats and I wish you the best of luck! I look forward to following your progress. Great job so far!

gingerwoman
09-22-2013, 05:15 AM
Wow that is a nice cover! You are doing well. :-) You can make a free Facebook author page and do other free promo things. (I'm not self published but authors published other ways do free promo for themselves too.) :-) It's lovely you are doing something for charity too.

Kaleidoscopes
09-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Celeste & Gingerwoman, thanks to both of you! Ginger, thanks for the compliment & the suggestion about the Facebook page, I will definitely look into that. :)

Parametric
09-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi, Emily! Good luck with your sales! :D

Literateparakeet
09-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Welcome Emily!

Your title and cover (in combination) are really intriguing for me. I might just have to read that. ;)

I look forward to hearing about your journey as things progress. I wish you tons of success, not only on this, but future projects as well!

___Mag
09-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi Emily,
Good for you. You might want to contact local news shows and magazines, and let them know of your publication. It will increase sales as a young author is inspiring and high interest. You will likely get some interviews.

Kaleidoscopes
09-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Thanks all of you! :)
Mag, that's definitely something to look into, thank you so much for the suggestion, I will definitely try that. :)

sarahdalton
09-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Hi Emily.

I think this is a lovely thing that you're doing and I wish you all the best! Have you thought about asking a teacher if they can announce your story at a school assembly or during class? It would be nice if the school could back you to help you raise more money for your charity.

Good luck. :)

Kaleidoscopes
09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Sarah, thank you, I would do that, but I'm homeschooled, thank you for the suggestion, though. :)

I noticed it's been a few days since I last posted here so I thought I'd put up a quick update - I've only sold a few copies since last time I posted, but right now I am #3 in Teen & Young Adult Short Stories on Amazon, which is my highest ranking ever(before my highhest was #6) so I'm really happy about that. :D

Ann Joyce
09-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Congrats on your sales so far, Emily. I love your cover and title, and I think it's fantastic that you're donating part of your profits to such a worthy organization. I hope it continues to go well for you.

WriterBN
09-26-2013, 10:05 PM
I noticed it's been a few days since I last posted here so I thought I'd put up a quick update - I've only sold a few copies since last time I posted, but right now I am #3 in Teen & Young Adult Short Stories on Amazon, which is my highest ranking ever(before my highhest was #6) so I'm really happy about that. :D

Congrats--that's great news! I hope you keep writing.

Kaleidoscopes
10-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Wow, I haven't checked in on here in a while!
Well, I have an update - my short story has been free for a day and will be free for the remainder of the day, in an effort to possibly increase visibility and/or maybe get a review from it, and I've given away 52 free copies so far(not including a few here and there outside of the US, it's pretty cool because I normally don't get foreign downloads), not too big of a number, but it's pretty good, and 52 more than zero. :)