Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Except James Patterson did his own writing for years and years and earned his position through hard work, even winning the Edgar Award in 1976 for Best First Novel by an America Author.

Bieber did what? Post a video and became famous?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I think the OP is kinda edging toward violating the RYFW rule.

James Patterson is still a writer, and I really doubt he offloads all the work to others.

I also think it's unfair to equate someone who argues so passionately in favour of supporting educators and encouraging reading among kids with a perpetually-stoned and bratty pop star.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
And, it's one paragraph in a much longer article/interview. The totality of Patterson's comment on Bieber is:

Yes, you’ll get the rare athlete or the rare musical artist, like Justin Bieber, who then goes and starts knocking reading. Give me a break, Justin. Wake the hell up. For most kids, who aren’t as lucky as you are, if they can’t read it’s going to be a big problem. It’s going to be a problem in high school and it’s going to be a problem afterward. They’re not going to get into college, and they’re going to have trouble getting jobs.​

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone show me a link about what Bieber is alleged to have said? I tried Googling and all I could find was a YouTube video of Bieber reading The Cat In The Hat for a reading charity.

If what he said is true, then its just the stupidity and arrogance of youth. He's in a privileged position now, but that won't last forever, but I'm pretty certain he'll make sure he reads and understands any contracts before signing anything. At worst he's a hypocrite, as he doesn't mind his fans buying and reading the official books and magazines that are published about him.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
James Patterson is donating $1 million to independent bookstores, on the condition that they have a children's section. I've sneered at the man in the past but I feel bad about that now.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
Honestly, if Justin Bieber doesn't like reading or writing it is simple as that. He doesn't like it. Yes, there are a lot of people looking at him, but why should he lie. The article James posted didn't seem like he was making a big deal about it. Could he have not said the things sure, but he was being asked and he answered. It wasn't like Bieber was advocating that kids shouldn't read.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've rolled my eyes at some of Patterson's prose, but I can't fault his business sense. I think it's good that he understands the plight of independent bookstores and wants to help.

As for Bieber, I really don't care what he thinks. He'll probably burn out what little talent he has in another five years, go through his money even sooner, and become another example of one-dimensional former pop stars.

There are lots of people who stop reading when they're no longer required to. I know some - they are often boring, stunted, shallow individuals who are easily led by other media.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some folks find reading to be difficult and tedious and so prefer not to do so. Nothing wrong with that, and it certainly doesn't (as a rule) make them easily led, shallow or dull. They simply have different interests, and may think of people who read as tedious bores, or intellectual snobs. I'm of a mind to not judge on this point. And if Justin Beiber doesn't want/like to read, well, then more power to him. And I seriously doubt there will be hordes of kids who choose not to read because *he* doesn't like it. They'll either like reading or they won't.

As for Patterson, yeah, I don't think he got what Justin was saying, which was, basically "I'm not into it." How is that knocking reading? Setting a bad example? For pete's sake, he's only expressing a preference, and the fact that he's a celebrity doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to express it. I didn't see anything like him saying, "Yo, reading is stupid, man. Life's too short to read a book! #yolo #reedingizdum #LOL"

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of people who stop reading when they're no longer required to. I know some - they are often boring, stunted, shallow individuals who are easily led by other media.

I find this an incredibly offensive thing to say. So much it's mindboggling. Books aren't magical sources of wisdom. Books don't make people better. Some people find them boring and prefer other ways to engage their brains. Film, art, Sudoku. Words on paper aren't the best way to engage every person. That doesn't make them boring, stunted or shallow.

I find this attitude so often in young parents in my social circle. They say they will cry, be ashamed if their kids dislike books, and will force them to read. It makes me so sad.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Readers do have the advantage of being able to quote Jane Austen, who knew everything:

EMMA, Chapter Nine

"But they like it, papa; there is nothing they like so much..."

"Well, I cannot understand it."

"That is the case with us all, papa. One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other."

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I get it: reading isn't for everyone, and it doesn't take dyslexia, motion sickness, visual difficulties, or any other physical issue to make it challenging and unpleasant.

I grew up with a father who was partially-blind before my birth, and who lost his sight totally during my early childhood. I make much of my income through visual arts. I also had a mother who taught me how to read when I was four. Every person in my family liked reading.

Of course books are not the only way to store and transmit information. Books are as flawed as every other human endeavor. Nor am I knocking visual media, podcasts, Sudoku, or any of the other pastimes you mentioned.

What worries me - especially about the people I specifically mentioned - is that they appear to have very few other challenging, thought-provoking interests in their lives. Some are older than me, some much younger. They use writing and reading as little as possible in their professional lives, and it shows in the times when they are called upon to write or comprehend some more-complicated texts. Because they never learned how to read critically, they're easy targets for some of the dumbest spam and urban legends around. (I know, because they keep forwarding stuff to me, and I keep directing them to Snopes.)

The school system failed these folks, as did their families. So did Cliff-Notes and PowerPoint. The mid-twenties daughter of one woman confided 'We never had books in the house when I was a kid, and we didn't go to libraries, so I kind of grew up hating all the reading I had to do in school. Once I moved out, I got my first library card and started reading e-books for fun.'

I worry that comments like Bieber's might justify and add to another generation's frustration with reading, and the idea that it's not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.