Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
*warning* If you are eating something vanilla flavoured now, unless you're sure it uses vanilla pods, either do NOT read on or put it down and stop eating it.

Because it's been confirmed that a certain substance has been used as a vanilla substitute for years, normally labelled as 'natural flavouring'

Beaver Arse Milk. (Okay, glandular secretions from that area of a beaver, but it was too good a line not to use.)

Apparently used as a substitute for vanilla, strawberry and raspberry

That's one more vote for the no additives diet...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Good thing I don't consume vanilla-flavoured things as a general rule.

But one thing I'm coming to realise is that if a product lists a natural additive, there's a very good chance it's something disgusting.

Like an "All natural" shampoo, that used horse testicles for the foaming agent. Yeah. Apparently, you need *some* chemicals in shampoo so that it'll do it's job, or else you're using testes.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I can't eat that. I'm vegetarian.

I have to say I did always wonder about the 'Not suitable for vegetarians' on something that should be very suitable

Now I know.

I wonder if Ben and Jerry's will have "Beaver Arse Milk" ice cream any time soon. What about "Horse Testes Harmony"?

Chicken Gizzard Wizard

I had chicken gizzards on holiday. Quite tasty, but perhaps not ice cream flavour material.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say I did always wonder about the 'Not suitable for vegetarians' on something that should be very suitable

Now I know.

Chicken Gizzard Wizard

I had chicken gizzards on holiday. Quite tasty, but perhaps not ice cream flavour material.

Y'know, I've been told that ice cream in general uses horse hooves as part of the base.

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Doesn't bother me that much as long as it tastes right :p. It's all animal parts, we've just been conditioned to think of only certain parts as acceptable to eat, but people everywhere eat all sorts of things. The visual isn't pleasant, but if it isn't bad for me and doesn't taste horrendous, I'm OK with it.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Which is why I'm always amused at meat-eaters freaking out when they find out something 'unpleasant' is in their food. It's all animal parts.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Great, so I've been eating beavers all these years and NOW they gotta tell me it's BAD for me?

(Before anyone gets the idea I said something sexist, believe me, I meant the vanilla shit, not the other...never mind. My intentions are pure:D)

Truthfully, I friggin' hate vanilla anything. Once tried Vanilla Coke which leaves the nastiest aftertaste in your mouth. Friggin' beavers.

Tried vanilla ice cream last week only because my wife bought it. Friggin' beavers.

Sticking to chocolate forevermore and if anyone, I mean ANYONE puts up a link saying it's bad for you they're gettin' reported!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friggin' beavers, just had to ruin my day...

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score
How wide spread is this really though? Is the braver catching and killing industry that big? I'm pretty sure we don't farm beaver do we? Maybe someone who lives where beaver live can tell me! I just can't imagine enough beaver are caught each year to make this a mainstream, cheap ingredient, though I could well be wrong!

In the UK we wiped beaver out by catching them for their castoreum, so the use of it's nothing new. But we have reintroduced them in Scotland http://www.scottishbeavers.org.uk/

The Vegetarian Resource Group suggests it's not a widespread use, but I have precisely no idea how reliable this is as a source or what their agenda might be (beyond persuading people not to eat animals, obviously) http://www.vrg.org/blog/2011/06/17/...vanilla-flavorings-according-to-manufacturers

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
Great, so I've been eating beavers all these years and NOW they gotta tell me it's BAD for me?

(Before anyone gets the idea I said something sexist, believe me, I meant the vanilla shit, not the other...never mind. My intentions are pure:D)

Truthfully, I friggin' hate vanilla anything. Once tried Vanilla Coke which leaves the nastiest aftertaste in your mouth. Friggin' beavers.

Tried vanilla ice cream last week only because my wife bought it. Friggin' beavers.

Sticking to chocolate forevermore and if anyone, I mean ANYONE puts up a link saying it's bad for you they're gettin' reported!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friggin' beavers, just had to ruin my day...

There's an average of 60 insect fragments in 100 grams of chocolate ;)
Ooops.The Food Defect Action Levels

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Which is why I'm always amused at meat-eaters freaking out when they find out something 'unpleasant' is in their food. It's all animal parts.

Which is why I insisted the rest of the family at least try the gizzards. And let's face it blue cheese is just mouldy really.

I draw the line at glandular secretions though (especially from the arse area). And maggots. ETA: And urine. A friend of mine...you don't want to know.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Which one? The maggots? (ETA the cheese is technically veggie too. Presuambly you have to flick the maggots off first though)

Or the urine? It seems snake urine is an aphrodisiac in certain parts of the world. Have to drink it while it's still warm though, and it prolly counts as veggie:) You'd have to be pretty desperate for a shag to be the first to try that

Last edited: