New Adult fiction is the hot new category in books

Status
Not open for further replies.

writingnewbie

Banned
Reaction score
USA Today: New Adult Fiction is the hot new category in books

Just want to see how well this "genre" is selling, so I clicked over to Kindle best sellers.

#1 in New Adult & College Romance is:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #5 Paid in Kindle Store

#10 in New Adult & College Romance is:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #135 Paid in Kindle Store

#50 in New Adult & College Romance is:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #687 Paid in Kindle Store

#100 in New Adult & College Romance is:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,488 Paid in Kindle Store

There is also first hand sales figure from an Absolutewrite member who cracked the top 100 Paid in Kindle Store.

It is actually all over the freaking map. It seems like between 125-150 sales per day to get into the New Adult Top 100. And I think I was selling around 400-500 per day when I cracked the Kindle Top 100, but don't quote me on that...I was pretty damn drunk and giddy those days. :D

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
One of my clients recently hit the big time with a New Adult romance trilogy. Sales are booming if the quality is there.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
It's already a category in Publishers Marketplace, so that should indicate that there's some viability to the category.

I've seen a lot of conversations about NA at AW. We've been talking about it on the YA forum for quite a long time. There's still a lot of debate as to whether it will evolve into a wider category or not. As of now, most of the successful NA novels have been limited to the romance genre and many people are hoping there is room for more in the marketplace.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/search.php?searchid=23530635

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Has there been any chatter about possibly giving NA it's own subforum, next to Writing for Kids and Young Adult?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This is not revolutionary news. I've been reading NA for a few years now. I enjoy it. Truly, the mindset of the characters often seems on the cusp of adulthood. They're making big life choices, but they're also flailing through them with a teenage-ist mind. I like the market! My agent had 2 huge deals with NA authors. I'm not quite ready to write a NA yet...but I've been considering it. I know my agent is hot for it. (-:

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I've already released a New Adult novella. It's not contemporary, which is the big seller, so I can't say I've noticed any more interest than my other books.

My next novel will be released next year as NA too. It's paranormal, so again, I'm not sure the NA label with bring any extra attention.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
NA has been around FOREVER. The category "New Adult" is a recent marketing gimmick.

I don't think that's fair and I don't agree with it. If what you say is true, then wouldn't all genre labels be nothing more than a marketing gimmick to target interested readers? New Adult has substantial differences between Young Adult and Adult novels, so much that the category has pretty much invented itself.

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't NA still pretty much restricted within the realm of romance or women's fiction?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that's fair and I don't agree with it. If what you say is true, then wouldn't all genre labels be nothing more than a marketing gimmick to target interested readers? New Adult has substantial differences between Young Adult and Adult novels, so much that the category has pretty much invented itself.

NA isn't a genre, neither is YA or adult. Those are ALL marketing categories identifying the target audience.

Genre is romance, historical, sci-fi, horror, etc.

The two put together are more like the vertical and horizontal axes of a graph.You go "up" to the age category you're interested in, then "over" to the genre you want, and that's how you find the books that will likely interest you.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Isn't NA still pretty much restricted within the realm of romance or women's fiction?

Most of the NA I've read has elements of romance in it, but it has also been very issue oriented...struggling between families, new careers or jobs, etc.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
NA isn't a genre, neither is YA or adult. Those are ALL marketing categories identifying the target audience.

Genre is romance, historical, sci-fi, horror, etc.

The two put together are more like the vertical and horizontal axes of a graph.You go "up" to the age category you're interested in, then "over" to the genre you want, and that's how you find the books that will likely interest you.

I was just going to say this. (-: Yes-- YA is a market and NA is a market. A lot of people get it wrong and call them genres.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
I slipped up in the first instance by referring to genres. I know the difference, as I later refer to NA as a category.

A GIF for my mistake.

Still, I don't think it's fair to call NA a gimmick.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Around here, it's called Geezer Lit, and comes only in large print.

Every chapter is Chapter One repeated, because when we start ch. 2, we won't remember what happened in Ch. 1.

It's shelved between
Obscurantist literary
and
Luddite scifi
:roll:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
If what you say is true, then wouldn't all genre labels be nothing more than a marketing gimmick to target interested readers?
That's EXACTLY what genre labels are: A funnel that guides interested readers to the correct shelf in the bookstore whereupon they will find the kinds of books they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.