Real Life vs. Blog Life

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
One of the difficulties I face as a blogger is real lifers accessing my blog life. Since I'm a teacher at a high school, I have to be careful what I say. Some of my students found my old livejournal (although none of them were smart enough to use the info garnered there to find my new blog) and asked me about it.

Luckily, I did not say anything too embarrassing on it. Mostly, I used it to track some writing I was doing at the time and my job search. There were one or two posts about alcohol and quite a few about politics, but none of my students mentioned these.

I have since then made some of my posts private, but left others up. I tried to keep enough there that students wouldn't notice that I took stuff down making it a game of hide and seek on information.

I originally had my name on my blog, but took it down since google actually started putting my blog on the first page of searches for various things. I'm careful not to mention my school name or where I live so that it doesn't come up in search results.

At this point, my blog is pretty innocuous. I don't blog about embarrassing personal issues or complain about my job (don't want any tech savvy co-workers or administrators fearing that I might leave).

Anyone else have this dilemma with real life intersecting with blog life?

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Like being in the military?

There's always growing a userbase of folks who want to read your blog and password-accessing those posts. Again, there's also the "how much do I want to stir the pot" factor when writing an entry. Of course, the question up front is, "Be you revolutionary or soldier?" Revolutionaries and agents of significant change have always had to deal with isolation. So, even if that change or candid commentary isn't as revolutionary as you might think it could be, it is to someone else. Expect the isolation to come.

Like military folks, or anyone with corporate or public ties (or anyone who's employer threatens termination), you're probably simply not in a position to speak candidly about a wealth of things.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Like military folks, or anyone with corporate or public ties (or anyone who's employer threatens termination), you're probably simply not in a position to speak candidly about a wealth of things.

This is true. I ususally skirt the edge. I know my boundaries and attempt to not step over them. Of course, sometimes I feel like my hands are tied, but it's no more than when I'm in a meeting with various levels of administration who want to jump on some educational trend's bandwagon or when I have to meet with parents about a student's poor performance in the class.

I'd love to tell them that their son/daughter is lazy, does little, and cares less. But, being a professional, I have to break it to them in non-legally-binding words.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I avoid certain subject matter dealing with my family and SO and job. I'd rather let it all hang out, but I don't want to be misunderstood or hurt any feelings.

It all boils down to what the blog is for. For me it's a way to connect. I'll reveal information that helps people get to know me but some stuff is either TMI or not mine to disclose.

Great thread starter, emeraldcite, thanks!

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wait, there's life outside of our blogs? :eek:

I'm starting to feel as if I have a whole other life on the net. It's not that I secret my true identity away or live some double life, but I feel like the net is becoming an extension.

Maybe I'm becoming a cyborg...

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Dawno said:
I've been waiting for that line :)

I don't have a response - I've just been waiting for it.
biggrin.gif

Glad I could be of service.
biggrin.gif

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
In my blog, I try to be creative in talking about many things I encounter.
Since I do a lot of traveling, I see and experience a lot of things and I write about it. I look for the little things that bring big meaning one way or another. I don't look for debates or issues. I basically love the natural-ness of expressing everyday life. I have fun with it. I can understand being careful about certain things and I agree with you in regard to privacy; however I also believe there's a way to say anything that can reveal the point and still conceal the subject. Have some fun!

P.S. Emeraldcite, I've enjoyed reading through your blog.

Last edited:

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I don't talk about my job either because my boss says he enjoys my blog. I don't talk too much about my children or people I know. Mostly I just spit out whatever is lurking in my mind that day in the form of poetry. It is how I relate my social and political issues as well. It is a way of skirting and hiding behind a poem, I will admit. I love the people I encounter in the blogosphere. Everyone seems so open and fun.

One time I had to tell my mom not to read it because a poem delt with childhood stuff I thought might hurt her. Other than that I am a free spirit.
Paint

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
oh, bigtime - I've pretty well let mine lapse when I commented in my New Year's entry about a family member "letting me down"...

suddenly I've got angry emails from ranting relatives screaming about events thirty years ago when they haven't spoken to me in almost ten.

I put up a comment revising the original note and haven't dared post anything that personal since. Got better things to do with my time than deal with hysterical relatives.

like be here.

:D

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a "real" blog, only an Amazon author's blog, which is much more restrictive in terms of content ... mainly for the reasons y'all cite, that certain topics would be ill-advised to blog about. If I had the nerve, I'd start up a completely anonymous blog on the gossip around the neighborhood where I live, first names only ... it would be a hoot!

Gabriele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostfort.blogspot.com
For one, I don't use my real name on the net. :)

Second, I don't post very personal stuff, and even the somewhat personal things won't appear on my blog but only on my LifeJournal where I have a set of several different filters depending upon whom I want to read what. The LJ is the conversation tool, the Blog my official presence on the net. It's about my writing, my travels, some book reviews and odd stuff. No politics - listening to the news now and then is all I need of that. :rant:

kyleh767

The great thing about Livejournal is that there is that friends-only feature, so that's something you might want to keep in mind if you weren't already aware.

-Kyle

Gooch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cinemafromage.com
Myself, with my blog being on my own domain, and not part of a community per se, find myself trying to get real life friends to read it, just to share my thoughts. Gotta get traffic somehow!

That said, i know not to post things such as complaints about work, etc. My blog's mostly for movie reviews, and my 'journal' while going through my weight loss process, so I'm usually not too worried about it.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I don't post much about my life on my blog other than about myself. Even when I do, I don't use names (unless they don't care). I guess it just depends on the topic. Some I'll post a little personal information about myself (enough for readers to get to know me) and others I don't bother. I'm not even sure any of my family and/or real friends even know I have blog.

You just have to be careful. If you give out too much information, you can either hurt someones feelings or get yourself in a lot of trouble.