Nottingham's Tunnels and Caves

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I'm writing a futuristic dystopian Robin Hood retelling (short story length) and am looking for locations for a hideout. I want it to be set in Notthingham, with the premise that it has become a gated area with a despot in charge (AKA Sheriff).

I was thinking of having my outlaws living in the tunnels and caves but from reading up it seems most of them are directly underneath the city. It would be silly for that not to be guarded. I want them close to Notthingham city centre but somewhere guarded. I've not decided yet but this might have a post-apocalyptic feel to it.

I've heard of Creswell Crags in Worksop. It's quite far away though. If I'm going out that far I guess I'd may as well have them hiding in Sherwood Forest like the ballads.

Does anyone know of anything nearer?

Anyone keen on Nottingham/Robin Hood history who can help me out?

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Don't know if it would be big enough, or far enough away, but Ye Olde Salutation Inn has caves beneath it. They do tours if you're close enough to have a look around and see if they're big enough for your purposes.

Hmm, it looks like it's right in the centre.

I'm not sure whether to border off the castle, or the entire city or just a small portion of it.

I'm only in Sheffield so I think a day in Notthingham is on the cards! I've not been since I was a teenager.

I think I'll have to rename some of the streets as well -- Maid Marian Way for instance! I might have to consider making this an 'alternative history' style fictional city but try and incorporate as much realism as possible.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Maybe the powers-that-be overlooked it because it's a pub?

Funny story: There's a sign up telling the story of Little Rosie who is supposedly the five year old resident ghost. They run ghost walks there, and supposedly she is often seen running around, and people leave toys for her and stuff.
Thing is, I know a guy who used to run the place, and he told us Rosie was entirely fabricated by his predecessor. :tongue

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering whether Robin might set up camp in the Nottingham Forest ground. I reckon a football stadium would be a really cool place to have a bunch of outlaws set up camp. It would be easy enough to defend as well. Hmmm, new idea forming.

Haha, that ghost story doesn't surprise me at all! I bet there are loads of things fabricated in these ghost walk things.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I think maybe they are all fabricated? As ghosts don't actually exist?

Well, yes. I just found it amusing that it wasn't an old tale, handed down over generations, or fabricated out of reports from people who think they've seen a ghost, but just some guy sat down and pulled it out of his ass as a cynical marketing ploy. :D

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Well, yeah, I meant fabricated as in 'not really a legend'. Although I think you'd be surprised at how many people believe in ghosts. My mum still thinks she saw Dick Turpin's ghost one night!!