Do you eat anything to "boost" your writing prowess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
For all that I joke about sugar, the important thing is to eat well. I don't function properly when I'm hungry. Other than that, it doesn't matter too much, as long as it's food.

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
I do the reverse. I find that a day of "fasting" (1 meal of about 500 calories) triggers A LOT of mind activity during the next morning.

annetookeen

has a hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
the-sword-that-speaks.blogspot.com
I do the reverse. I find that a day of "fasting" (1 meal of about 500 calories) triggers A LOT of mind activity during the next morning.

I've heard about a similar technique, mostly from yogis. They say an empty stomach clears the mind.

That means you write when you're hungry, oakbark?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... water. It's important to stay hydrated.
Nothing like water to maintain that.
So I most always have some with me to sip.
Not sure if they help or not, but I also like carrots.
Great, light snack to munch on while at work.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
No food in particular. As long as I'm not hungry, which makes it hard to concentrate, then I'm fine. Beverages on the other hand. :D My writing is fueled by tea especially and coffee a bit. And not even the caffeine, since I only have that first thing in the morning and drink decaf the rest of the day. Must just be the heat and the taste, perks me up.

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard about a similar technique, mostly from yogis. They say an empty stomach clears the mind.

That means you write when you're hungry, oakbark?

No way! Those days nothing mental works.. easier to stay occupied to avoid getting the munchies. Very good though for cleaning the house etc

... water. It's important to stay hydrated.
Nothing like water to maintain that.
So I most always have some with me to sip.
Not sure if they help or not, but I also like carrots.
Great, light snack to munch on while at work.

Sounds like a healthy choice!

Last edited:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I have a strange habit of eating everything I can get my hands on when I write. It's not binging--a nibble here and there--but the only time I ever write on an empty stomach is if I'm close to a goal and I don't want to stop and cook. Empty tummy=empty head for me. (I get horribly lightheaded when I'm even a little hungry. Makes it tough to concentrate.)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Other writers.

:evil

*trying SO hard not to drag this thread through the mucky muck...* :D

I drink a lot of hot beverages when I write. Usually some sort of decaf tea or coffee. I go through about six big mugs a day, which is why I have to stick to decaf.

*Back to forcing self to not pervert bearilous "innocent" remark.*

annetookeen

has a hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
*trying SO hard not to drag this thread through the mucky muck...* :D

I drink a lot of hot beverages when I write. Usually some sort of decaf tea or coffee. I go through about six big mugs a day, which is why I have to stick to decaf.

*Back to forcing self to not pervert bearilous "innocent" remark.*

Bwahaha! I will not give in! :> tsk tsk

Now about coffee, I'm starting to wonder if this is the new alcohol (ala Poe). I sip coffee or hot chocolate throughout the day, especially while writing. Sipping is like pausing to think:)

annetookeen

has a hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have a strange habit of eating everything I can get my hands on when I write. It's not binging--a nibble here and there--but the only time I ever write on an empty stomach is if I'm close to a goal and I don't want to stop and cook. Empty tummy=empty head for me. (I get horribly lightheaded when I'm even a little hungry. Makes it tough to concentrate.)

Same here! No stopping, not even for food when I'm reaching the end of a story or revision.

CJ Knightrey

She Who Constantly Changes Avatars
Registered
Reaction score
For whatever reason mine is an Iced Capp (Im not sure if folks have these outside of Canada now that I think about it). It's basically a frozen/slushy sort of coffee with cream and I usually get it with chocolate shots as well to drown out the coffee taste.

I think the reason is because I use to have a set time everyday in the morning where I would get one, eat breakfast and then write. So I think I've subconsciously associated the drink with writing. :D

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Coffee. A steady drip of coffee. Coffee all day long.

Also anything crunchy. Lots and lots of crunch. More crunch! Carrots, pretzels, nuts, even dry Grapenuts cereal (the edible version of gravel). There's actually some kind of neurological reason for this, but for many people, crunching stuff up with our jaws wakes us up and makes us alert. It's a good substitute for coffee, though I don't use it as substitute.

Also water and doses of protein, such as a nice piece of cheese.

ETA: Oh, and coffee.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Other than staying hydrated and eating a healthy diet, no. But I do take the herb eyebright twice a day to help my eyes deal with hours at the computer.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Chocolate for me also, but the positive effect is probably because it's my only source of caffeine these days.

Uppers, yay! **buzzes**

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
It's not food as much as drink.

Two cups of coffee in the morning, a glass of wine or a shot of Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps on ice in the evening. I definitely hit a writing slump around 2 pm but it's too late in the day for coffee for me, and too early for wine or schnapps.

annetookeen

has a hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's not food as much as drink.

Two cups of coffee in the morning, a glass of wine or a shot of Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps on ice in the evening. I definitely hit a writing slump around 2 pm but it's too late in the day for coffee for me, and too early for wine or schnapps.

I just remembered, I enjoy fizzy drinks like coke, it's so comforting. I could drink it everyday but I heard it's got some cancerous stuff:(

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet milky hot tea. I usually have three big mugs in the morning while I'm looking at emails and doing my morning internet thing. I switch to water or unsweetened iced tea later in the day, but if I'm chilly it's back to the sweet milky tea. My hands sometimes get cold when I'm working so it's nice to have the hot mug to hold onto while I'm reading over what I wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.