PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat anything to "boost" your writing prowess?

annetookeen
09-17-2013, 11:40 AM
I think my inspiration food is chocolate. Either it works or I just associate it with writing. Do you have any "food boosts," too?

Chasing the Horizon
09-17-2013, 11:43 AM
I've been told to eat my words more than once, but I've never tried it.

annetookeen
09-17-2013, 11:46 AM
I've been told to eat my words more than once, but I've never tried it.

I've eaten my words many times before. Gave me indigestion. Not a good writing boost, I'm afraid.

Polenth
09-17-2013, 12:56 PM
For all that I joke about sugar, the important thing is to eat well. I don't function properly when I'm hungry. Other than that, it doesn't matter too much, as long as it's food.

oakbark
09-17-2013, 01:02 PM
I do the reverse. I find that a day of "fasting" (1 meal of about 500 calories) triggers A LOT of mind activity during the next morning.

annetookeen
09-17-2013, 01:08 PM
I do the reverse. I find that a day of "fasting" (1 meal of about 500 calories) triggers A LOT of mind activity during the next morning.

I've heard about a similar technique, mostly from yogis. They say an empty stomach clears the mind.

That means you write when you're hungry, oakbark?

JimmyB27
09-17-2013, 01:43 PM

Same here. Mostly directed towards what's for breakfast though. ;)

Ken
09-17-2013, 02:13 PM
... water. It's important to stay hydrated.
Nothing like water to maintain that.
So I most always have some with me to sip.
Not sure if they help or not, but I also like carrots.
Great, light snack to munch on while at work.

Becky Black
09-17-2013, 02:58 PM
No food in particular. As long as I'm not hungry, which makes it hard to concentrate, then I'm fine. Beverages on the other hand. :D My writing is fueled by tea especially and coffee a bit. And not even the caffeine, since I only have that first thing in the morning and drink decaf the rest of the day. Must just be the heat and the taste, perks me up.

oakbark
09-17-2013, 04:14 PM
I've heard about a similar technique, mostly from yogis. They say an empty stomach clears the mind.

That means you write when you're hungry, oakbark?

No way! Those days nothing mental works.. easier to stay occupied to avoid getting the munchies. Very good though for cleaning the house etc

... water. It's important to stay hydrated.
Nothing like water to maintain that.
So I most always have some with me to sip.
Not sure if they help or not, but I also like carrots.
Great, light snack to munch on while at work.

Sounds like a healthy choice!

bearilou
09-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Other writers.

:evil

Little Anonymous Me
09-17-2013, 05:25 PM
I have a strange habit of eating everything I can get my hands on when I write. It's not binging--a nibble here and there--but the only time I ever write on an empty stomach is if I'm close to a goal and I don't want to stop and cook. Empty tummy=empty head for me. (I get horribly lightheaded when I'm even a little hungry. Makes it tough to concentrate.)

Putputt
09-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Other writers.

:evil

*trying SO hard not to drag this thread through the mucky muck...* :D

I drink a lot of hot beverages when I write. Usually some sort of decaf tea or coffee. I go through about six big mugs a day, which is why I have to stick to decaf.

*Back to forcing self to not pervert bearilous "innocent" remark.*

annetookeen
09-17-2013, 07:41 PM
*trying SO hard not to drag this thread through the mucky muck...* :D

I drink a lot of hot beverages when I write. Usually some sort of decaf tea or coffee. I go through about six big mugs a day, which is why I have to stick to decaf.

*Back to forcing self to not pervert bearilous "innocent" remark.*

Bwahaha! I will not give in! :> tsk tsk

Now about coffee, I'm starting to wonder if this is the new alcohol (ala Poe). I sip coffee or hot chocolate throughout the day, especially while writing. Sipping is like pausing to think:)

annetookeen
09-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I have a strange habit of eating everything I can get my hands on when I write. It's not binging--a nibble here and there--but the only time I ever write on an empty stomach is if I'm close to a goal and I don't want to stop and cook. Empty tummy=empty head for me. (I get horribly lightheaded when I'm even a little hungry. Makes it tough to concentrate.)

Same here! No stopping, not even for food when I'm reaching the end of a story or revision.

Persei
09-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Coke.

Both kinds.

AshleyEpidemic
09-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Coke.

Both kinds.

:roll:

I don't have a brain food. Although a bit of queso always makes me feel better.

CJ Knightrey
09-17-2013, 08:23 PM
For whatever reason mine is an Iced Capp (Im not sure if folks have these outside of Canada now that I think about it). It's basically a frozen/slushy sort of coffee with cream and I usually get it with chocolate shots as well to drown out the coffee taste.

I think the reason is because I use to have a set time everyday in the morning where I would get one, eat breakfast and then write. So I think I've subconsciously associated the drink with writing. :D

muravyets
09-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Coffee. A steady drip of coffee. Coffee all day long.

Also anything crunchy. Lots and lots of crunch. More crunch! Carrots, pretzels, nuts, even dry Grapenuts cereal (the edible version of gravel). There's actually some kind of neurological reason for this, but for many people, crunching stuff up with our jaws wakes us up and makes us alert. It's a good substitute for coffee, though I don't use it as substitute.

Also water and doses of protein, such as a nice piece of cheese.

ETA: Oh, and coffee.

Siri Kirpal
09-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Other than staying hydrated and eating a healthy diet, no. But I do take the herb eyebright twice a day to help my eyes deal with hours at the computer.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

jjdebenedictis
09-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Chocolate for me also, but the positive effect is probably because it's my only source of caffeine these days.

Uppers, yay! **buzzes**

Bogna
09-18-2013, 04:57 PM
A glass of good wine helps shut up my inner editor. Hookah works too. I have to keep food away or I'll just stuff my face and not write anything.

stormie
09-18-2013, 05:05 PM
It's not food as much as drink.

Two cups of coffee in the morning, a glass of wine or a shot of Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps on ice in the evening. I definitely hit a writing slump around 2 pm but it's too late in the day for coffee for me, and too early for wine or schnapps.

annetookeen
09-18-2013, 07:58 PM
It's not food as much as drink.

Two cups of coffee in the morning, a glass of wine or a shot of Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps on ice in the evening. I definitely hit a writing slump around 2 pm but it's too late in the day for coffee for me, and too early for wine or schnapps.

I just remembered, I enjoy fizzy drinks like coke, it's so comforting. I could drink it everyday but I heard it's got some cancerous stuff:(

mrsmig
09-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Sweet milky hot tea. I usually have three big mugs in the morning while I'm looking at emails and doing my morning internet thing. I switch to water or unsweetened iced tea later in the day, but if I'm chilly it's back to the sweet milky tea. My hands sometimes get cold when I'm working so it's nice to have the hot mug to hold onto while I'm reading over what I wrote.

Raventongue
09-18-2013, 10:05 PM
All protein, all the time, else you may as well toss my brain in the trashcan.

NeuroFizz
09-18-2013, 10:18 PM
A healthy, balanced diet. There are no dietary tricks that create greater intellectual productivity or acuity that will work better than overall good health.

MelissaWood
09-19-2013, 02:17 AM
I drink tons of tea. Jasmine is my favorite. :)

triceretops
09-19-2013, 02:31 AM
I'm a coffee gulper who likes those exotic creamers--vanilla, Irish creme and others. I need a caffeine fix something terrible to keep my mind active and producing thought.

chickenma
09-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Oral compulsion always arises when I write. How to deal? I can't eat sweets or drink wine anymore (stuffs me right up). Back in the day, I chain smoked and drank coffee. Whenever I got blocked, a few leaves from the plant on the windowsill along with caffeine gave new perspective. Now I'm trying to become a green tea drinker, but it's not really taking.

annetookeen
09-19-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm a coffee gulper who likes those exotic creamers--vanilla, Irish creme and others. I need a caffeine fix something terrible to keep my mind active and producing thought.

Oh, I love those things. My vice is the hazelnut-flavored creamer. Reminds me of Nutella.

stormie
09-19-2013, 09:31 PM
A healthy, balanced diet. There are no dietary tricks that create greater intellectual productivity or acuity that will work better than overall good health.
Yes, but what fun is that? ;)

Gugland
09-20-2013, 08:54 AM
I always eat salmon the night before something important, like a job interview or something. Makes me sharp the next day. I never thought about using it for writing.

willietheshakes
09-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Coke.

Both kinds.

I'm not a fan of coke, but I do like the way it smells.

On-topic: coffee. FortheloveofGod coffee.

annetookeen
09-20-2013, 02:29 PM
I always eat salmon the night before something important, like a job interview or something. Makes me sharp the next day. I never thought about using it for writing.

Well, I've been taking fish oil recently, and I think It's helped me stay sharp, like a well-oiled machine :D