Am I the only one?

Just-Krissy

Keep calm and read on
Registered
Reaction score
I am just going to shamelessly admit it: I love clichés!

I love reading clichés, and I love writing clichés. In my opinion, they are cliché for a reason - people love them.

I sometimes feel like I am the only writer who is still utterly obsessed with them. Most people are always striving for originality, and if its not original, then something is wrong with it.

Is there anyone out there who still believes in a good, fluffy cliché story?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Many if not most stories have one or more cliches in them, but it's not the cliche itself, it's what is done with it. If you can give it a twist and a bit of a spin and stand it on its head, then it can work.

Movies, like stories, tend to show the cliches more, but it depends on the script. Rocky (the first one) was a cliche from start to finish, but it worked due to having great dialogue, music, and a terrific punchup at the end. Avatar, OTOH, sucked rocks. Books are the same way. I usually toss in a cliche for the sake of doing so and TELL the reader it's a cliche so it's like admitting the truth and having them laugh with you as opposed to against you, if that makes any sense.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've found cliches rather useful in my comedy writing. My first novel (TEC) is a comedic fantasy, so all those old cliches that are so familiar to everyone - well, I was able to turn a lot of them into something more literal, or out of left field, or whatever.

Like, using a cliche, and then explaining it as something messed up and fantasy-ish. Seemed to work for me. :) And Douglas Adams did that to some extent, though I've tried to avoid using his cliche-jokes.

As for reading a cliche in a book... it doesn't really bother me, but then it's also not something I especially get much enjoyment from.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Cliches to me are like kitsch. Sometimes I just lurve them to death, and other times I roll my eyes. It's all in the presentation. If I could set a table for eight with decorative plates of say Mount Rushmore, Nashville, Elvis... with the 'souvenir' silverware, and fast food collector glasses... I'd bust out in giggles.

=)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
You might also look at the "Discworld" series by Terry Pratchett; plenty of cliches in them. And very funny, too.

chickenma

Registered
Reaction score
That's why I like Bat Out of Hell. "Like a bat out of hell (I'll be gone when the morning comes);" "You took the words right out of my mouth" (she was kissing him and that's why he didn't say "I love you"); "For crying out loud, (that's why I love you)."

I love romantic tropes, too.

chickenma

Registered
Reaction score
In the play, Our American Cousin, Lord Dundreary famously mixed cliches, "Birds of a feather gather no moss."

Too bad no one performs it anymore.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You might also look at the "Discworld" series by Terry Pratchett; plenty of cliches in them. And very funny, too.

Although pretty much every one is turned on their head (this applies to the early ones, he satirises other stuff later)

Which is one reason why they are funny

The unkillable barbarian! Who is,er, past retirement age, and is merely good at Not Dying

The mage! Who is afraid to say the only spell he knows

The rightful king! With a sword and birthmark and everything! Who just wants to have a normal life, cheers.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love spoofs. They only work if they throw in every cliche going.