Paranormal Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My story is about a group of soul-eating girls who terrorize rapists, murderers, and other wretched individuals. Over time, an urban legend developed and parents would use a chant to scare their children. I'm not sure if this is sufficiently creepy enough:

Dear, Sweet Molly Malone
She’ll take your soul when you’re alone.
Dear, Sweet Molly Malones
They’ll break your heart and break your bones.

Creepy? Needs to be creepier?

KVL

Registered
Reaction score
London, but I left my heart in San Francisco
I like the rhyme, but if these Molly Malones target rapists and murderers, would children have to worry about them? Maybe you could look taking at a slightly different angle, where the children have a rhyme they chant during skipping rope or another game. Something similiar to Oranges and Lemons, perhaps, particularly the ending.

Cranky1

Registered
Reaction score
There is the real Molly Malone. Then there are four others who are called Molly Malone. Three of them focus on eating the wretched souls; the other two consume innocent and evil souls. Parents recite the tales of the two bad Molly Malones.

Last edited:

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I think as a rhyme for children it's got a good rhythm and bit of graphic horror to it that's reminiscent of the ghost stories we'd try to freak each other out with when I was young.

However, I don't know that 'break your heart' would be particularly creepy to a kid, and the verb is repeated in the same line, so I'd recommend a change to that bit (smash your heart? eat your heart?), but otherwise should suffice.

Cranky1

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe:

...smash your heart and eat your bones.

Thanks y'all! I appreciate your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.