PDA

View Full Version : Holy Frick, it's done

Heather Head
09-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Just finished putting the denouement of my first novel in order.

First round of revisions, the round in which I tore the whole thing to pieces and put it back together again better, is done.

Done. Finished out at just over 83k words, YA sci/fi.

My first novel.

Still plenty of work to do. Taking a break first.

Party time.

Ramshackle
09-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Congratulations!

I hope you have some plans to celebrate?

Brightdreamer
09-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Hmm... what is this "done" you speak of? *stares at endless pile of revisions and half-finished drafts, scratching my head* It sounds like an accomplishment, anyway, so congratulations!

Now start something else!

jjdebenedictis
09-16-2013, 12:31 AM
:snoopy: :partyguy: :banana: :Jump: :PartySmil :TheWave: :e2woo: :e2cheer: :e2flowers :e2drunk: :e2dance: :yessmiley

Congratulations! :D

Heather Head
09-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Thanks guys!! I haven't figured out how I'm going to celebrate. My husband is sick. And I didn't expect to finish today. I just had a brainstorm while out walking and realized how close I was and came back to finish.

And, to be perfectly clear, I'm not DONE done. Just sorta done.

Which is to say, the whole thing is written. It's all been revised once, which means it's in the right order and the prose is more or less passable.

Up until an hour ago, it was missing anything that resembled a complete and satisfying denouement.

For some reason, finishing the denouement & putting it in the right order, felt more satisfying that when I finished the first draft.

So I definitely feel like celebrating.

And then after that, a week's break.

And then after that, a read-through and another round of revision/edits.

Then betas.

More revision/rewrites.

Then polishing.

Ugh.

(Pats herself on the back: There there. You've still done more than 90% of the people who say they want to write a book ever will. It'll be okay. Someday you'll be done done.)

I think the thing I'm most excited about is HOW it all came out. I had written the last line earlier today, without knowing it was the last line. I went back and filled some things in, then printed it all out to put it in the right order... and when I was done and looked at the last line I realized:

Oh my gawd. It's perfect. It's the absolutely perfectest possible last line for my novel.

So much more satisfying than when I tacked "THE END" at the bottom when I decided I was done with my first draft.

Thanks for celebrating with me. I don't think anybody in the world who is not a writer can possibly quite understand like you guys do. Thank you.

Caitlin Black
09-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Woo! Congrats! :D

Sophia
09-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Congratulations, Heather! I'm thrilled for you! :) :partyguy:

Izz
09-16-2013, 02:03 AM
w00t w00t!!! :partyguy:

vagough
09-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Congrats! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Just finished the first draft of my WIP one week ago and understand what you mean. Even when you know that more work lies ahead, at least the basic framework of the thing is done!

Anyway, do celebrate!

Siri Kirpal
09-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

:banana: Congrats! :banana:

I've done that too, walked away from something expecting to get back to it later and realized when I returned that it was done. Wonderful feeling!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Vito
09-16-2013, 11:30 PM
:Thumbs:

Patrick.S
09-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Big congrats! Hope to be there too in a couple of months.