Ok, I'm moving to Jersey...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Would You Do

I just discovered WWYD because of Facebook. "Would you like me to help you put them back? I'm happy to do that." Can I say, America, this episode is kind of why the rest of the world does love you.

ETA: The gun thing is why we get cranky.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
What Would You Do

I just discovered WWYD because of Facebook. "Would you like me to help you put them back? I'm happy to do that." Can I say, America, this episode is kind of why the rest of the world does love you.

If you watch the rest of the episodes, you'll see it's not an isolated thing. We still have vestiges of social interaction here; they haven't quite managed to stomp it out of us in favor of "see something, call the cops" or "mind your own business" although they keep trying. People acting like decent human beings, or being called down by others around them, is pretty much the way life works, at least where I'm from. Oh, and if New Jersey looks inviting from that standpoint, it's worth noting that a lot of the rest of the country thinks of that general part of the country as less friendly than normal. New Yorkers, their next-door-neighbors, are prime targets for jokes about their rudeness and disconnectedness. Yet these people were anything but rude and disconnected.

Imagine how nice we are out here in the boonies. :D

What was the "gun thing?" I musta missed that part.

ETA: Howie's surprise at people stepping up just tells me he's been hangin' out with the wrong crowd. ;)

Last edited:

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you see the one where, at the end, the U.S. soldier gives the anti-Muslim douchebag (okay, actor) the what-for? That one was especially awesome.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you see the one where, at the end, the U.S. soldier gives the anti-Muslim douchebag (okay, actor) the what-for? That one was especially awesome.

I did. Tragically, I've been watching eps ever since I started this thread (two hours, now - I don't watch TV...) And even though I work in advertising and even though I know all about editing, I still keep going awww....

(Except for the one where the nanny feeds the little girl benadryl to shut her up. Because I think if it was a white middle-class mommy instead of a nanny, people would be far less disapproving. Also, benadryl is practically a food group, where I live.*)

*I'm teasing! I'm teasing!!!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I love this show. It doesn't air here, but I keep finding clips of it on Youtube, Tumblr etc. It's really heart-warming.

One of the most memorable clips to me was when they have actors playing drunk young female tourists and before their actor could step in to start trying to lure the girls back to his hotel, guys at the bar would target them and start doing the same thing for real. It was terrifying! Though there was a nice moment later on when other girls at the bar stepped in to get the drunk actors out of trouble.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
If you watch the rest of the episodes, you'll see it's not an isolated thing. We still have vestiges of social interaction here; they haven't quite managed to stomp it out of us in favor of "see something, call the cops" or "mind your own business" although they keep trying. People acting like decent human beings, or being called down by others around them, is pretty much the way life works, at least where I'm from. Oh, and if New Jersey looks inviting from that standpoint, it's worth noting that a lot of the rest of the country thinks of that general part of the country as less friendly than normal. New Yorkers, their next-door-neighbors, are prime targets for jokes about their rudeness and disconnectedness. Yet these people were anything but rude and disconnected.

Imagine how nice we are out here in the boonies. :D

I wouldn't really describe the way most of these people were acting as "nice." Except for the second woman who picked up the groceries. "Nice" is not synonymous with doing the right thing. "Nice" people might have reacted to the woman with condescension, or they might not have done anything at all, because they didn't want to be rude to the manager.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What Would You Do

I can't see which that is, for whatever reason. I was all set to stage an intervention or make some kind of Jersey joke (or 6). That show is sometimes silly, sometimes nice, sometimes depressing (the black vs. white ones and male vs. female ones can be sort of disheartening).

The ones with the restaurant interactions are usually nice, but there was also a really good one with the morning-after pill and with developmentally disabled folks bagging groceries getting abused by fake customers with others coming to their defense.