Seeking partner for film screenplay!

Shyamalizard

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
Before I got an account on this site I actually managed to finish a screenplay, a remake of the 1941 Horror classic "The Wolf Man" I don't want to give away the details, but I will say it is largley centered around the romance and there is even influence from Romeo and Juliet. So, here is a thread for people interested in being partners to sign up for their services. I promise I will repay the favor!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
Before I got an account on this site I actually managed to finish a screenplay, a remake of the 1941 Horror classic "The Wolf Man" I don't want to give away the details, but I will say it is largley centered around the romance and there is even influence from Romeo and Juliet. So, here is a thread for people interested in being partners to sign up for their services. I promise I will repay the favor!

I don't think I understand. Partners in what? Sign up for their services in what? What favour?

Shyamalizard

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I understand. Partners in what? Sign up for their services in what? What favour?

Like basically help with story and dialogue. I'd send the screenplay and they could change things they didn't like and maybe add some things they would like.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The terminology's confusing. You say you will repay the favor. If you make the person a partner then that surely means their name is on the title page along with yours and they get a cut of whatever, assuming the screenplay gets optioned or wins a contest, etc. That's not a favor, it's a business agreement. Maybe be a little more clear on that.

-Derek

Shyamalizard

Registered
Reaction score
The terminology's confusing. You say you will repay the favor. If you make the person a partner then that surely means their name is on the title page along with yours and they get a cut of whatever, assuming the screenplay gets optioned or wins a contest, etc. That's not a favor, it's a business agreement. Maybe be a little more clear on that.

-Derek

Yeah that pretty much sums up what I was thinking.

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Of course your "remake" doesn't duplicate the original in anyway. While a wolfman is not copyrighted, the Universal Wolfman is protected by copyright. And you wouldn't be able to use any of the names or similar situations from that film franchise.

You'd be better off simply stating it's a werewolf screenplay - rather than a remake of a film for which you do not have the remake rights. :)

Shyamalizard

Registered
Reaction score
Of course your "remake" doesn't duplicate the original in anyway. While a wolfman is not copyrighted, the Universal Wolfman is protected by copyright. And you wouldn't be able to use any of the names or similar situations from that film franchise.

You'd be better off simply stating it's a werewolf screenplay - rather than a remake of a film for which you do not have the remake rights. :)

To be fair, I've fully admitted to the rights of the original belonging to Universal Pictures and obviously I won't be selling this for money or even turning it into a real film. It's just in the name of goodhearted fun. ;)

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
To be fair, I've fully admitted to the rights of the original belonging to Universal Pictures and obviously I won't be selling this for money or even turning it into a real film. It's just in the name of goodhearted fun. ;)

So, in essense, you're asking someone to help you write a fanfic? I'm not sure that a) that's permitted on this board or b) this is the best place to look for help in the first place. Since it's a fan project, you'd be better off looking for fellow fans who would have the same interests.

For me, my writing time is pretty limited. Any time I'd dedicate to helping someone else with their fanfic, I'd want it to at least be in a fandom I'm interested in.

Shyamalizard

Registered
Reaction score
So, in essense, you're asking someone to help you write a fanfic? I'm not sure that a) that's permitted on this board or b) this is the best place to look for help in the first place. Since it's a fan project, you'd be better off looking for fellow fans who would have the same interests.

For me, my writing time is pretty limited. Any time I'd dedicate to helping someone else with their fanfic, I'd want it to at least be in a fandom I'm interested in.

In a way it's a fan-fic, but I'm trying to make it appeal to people who aren't interested or are even turned off by the genre or the fandom. I'm not trying to write Sonichu lol. See what I'm saying?

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
In a way it's a fan-fic, but I'm trying to make it appeal to people who aren't interested or are even turned off by the genre or the fandom. I'm not trying to write Sonichu lol. See what I'm saying?

You're also asking for a partner to help you commit copyright violation. While it's unlikely that Universal would clamp down on you, they would if they wanted to and they'd make you pay too.

While it might be fun for you to write this script as a private exercise, it is a waste of time for almost anyone else. A good script can take four months to a year to write. Why invest that kind of time and energy into something that will not advance a career?

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
You're also asking for a partner to help you commit copyright violation. While it's unlikely that Universal would clamp down on you, they would if they wanted to and they'd make you pay too.

While it might be fun for you to write this script as a private exercise, it is a waste of time for almost anyone else. A good script can take four months to a year to write. Why invest that kind of time and energy into something that will not advance a career?

Debates about whether or not fanfiction does the writer any "good" generally don't end well and I wouldn't advise getting into it. Some people love it and some hate it. Leave it at that.

To the OP: As I said before, I don't know if asking for help with a fanfic is permitted on this particular forum -- you should probably check with a mod on that.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

In a general sense - appeal to people in what way? I don't know that many people who read scripts for fun, especially scripts in genres they're not interested in in the first place.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
This thread could be moving in a different direction if you'd posted something like,

"Seeking screenwriting buddy for mutual learning and fun! I'm a fan of the old B/W werewolf movies and would like help in writing something like that. Ping me if you're interested!"

-Derek