Re-approach no response agent?

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
What do you guys think about this? A while back, an agent read my manuscript and liked it enough to call and tell me what she thought worked and what didn't. She said she'd be happy to look at a revision.

Many months later, I contacted her when I finished my revision, and she sounded enthusiastic about taking a look. After submitting, I got a few e-mails from her apologizing that she was taking so long.

Then I heard nothing. I nudged once, then dropped it. Over the next year, I continued working on the manuscript and, after lots of feedback from betas, I think the book has finally come together in the way she was looking for.

So should I approach this agent again? Normally I would have no interest in working with someone who blew me off, but her clients rave about her and she makes consistent sales to the editors I want to sell my book to.

I know there are lots of other agents out there, but not many with her stellar reputation in the industry. Is it too pathetic to e-mail her and see if she wants to look at the new revision?

Thanks for any opinions!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it is pathetic, but I don't think you should pin your hopes on her either. I would send her an e-mail and let her know you have spent the past few months implementing her edits and would like to know if she'd give your book another read. Keep the e-mail short and professional. If she says no, you're back where you started. But I would also query other agents at the same time.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it is pathetic, but I don't think you should pin your hopes on her either. I would send her an e-mail and let her know you have spent the past few months implementing her edits and would like to know if she'd give your book another read. Keep the e-mail short and professional. If she says no, you're back where you started. But I would also query other agents at the same time.

Yes, I'd do this - but be sure you don't make it sound like "I did what you said so now you have to read it." Keep it unthreatening.

(I know you know this. I'm just saying it here because - newbies.)

ETA: Oh and well done and good luck and all that.

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Thanks to you both. I was afraid people would say I should write her off because she didn't respond to my last submission. Your advice makes sense, and I'll definitely query other agents at the same time.

Thanks again!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with the others and congrats!

Also, just wanted to let you know that there are quite a few other agents out there with "stellar reputations." Actually, there are more than quite a few. I know we get our hopes pinned on certain agents, but I would seriously consider not sitting around waiting for one agent. It's just not in your best interest. Plus, if you get other agent interest, you could always email her with, Hey, I've been offered rep by several other agents, but would like to give you the opportunity to consider the novel since you had given me such wonderful feedback pre-revisions. Of course, I wouldn't say that unless that is what really happens, but I just don't want to see you sitting around waiting for ONE agent to respond. The industry is so slow as it is and it's not beneficial for you to hold out on only one agent. JMO of course but best of luck with whatever you do!