Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always interested in hearing from people who want full control over the publishing of their books.

I've heard the arguments that with trade publishing you give up creative control over your books, but it's just not true (and I don't think cwbrowning was suggesting that, so I won't go into lecture mode now). What many self publishers refer to, I think, is keeping creative control over their own publication, which is different and very important.

It's not something I'd necessarily relish: I've seen how much work it takes to just edit one book properly, and am overwhelmed by the idea of doing that while also doing all the other publishing stuff too, all while continuing to write other books; and I've worked as a packager, hiring in all the various people required to publish books well, and it was a very demanding job. It was also a very expensive process, albeit I was working with books which were very different to most of the ones I see talked about here (they were mostly non-fiction, highly illustrated, lavishly designed print editions).

You have my admiration. Good luck!

Last edited:

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
About the control thing... hopefully not to derailing too much!

When I think up an idea for a book I start with the story and then imagine the cover, how it could be marketed and the audience it's intended for. I like being in charge of the product from beginning to end and choose who to help me get it to the final stages. So for me control=being the boss. I actually think of myself as a small business owner rather than a writer. Hmm, no, writer primarily, small business owner secondarily. That's more accurate.

I've not had much experience with trade publishing, apart from selling a few short stories, so I don't know how much conversation goes on, or how much input there is for an author, but I really do like that sense of responsibility. Weird, isn't it? A lot of people would hate that. I'm not a very bossy or authoritative person in other aspects of life.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah, I thought this could make a very useful discussion for us, so I've split our posts out of their home thread.

When I think up an idea for a book I start with the story and then imagine the cover, how it could be marketed and the audience it's intended for. I like being in charge of the product from beginning to end and choosing who to help me get it to the final stages. So for me control=being the boss. I actually think of myself as a small business owner rather than a writer. Hmm, no, writer primarily, small business owner secondarily. That's more accurate.

That's exactly how I envision the creative control that most self publishers want. It's a huge challenge and when it's done well, it's brilliant. I applaud people who manage this.

The problem comes when it's claimed that trade publishers take over creative control from writers by forcing changes onto their stories, or by editing their voice out of the work: that sort of thing; it's just not true that this happens. At least, not at good publishers (and we wouldn't work with bad ones, would we?). Publishers acquire books because they love them: they try to make them even better through editing and so on, but if an author and an editor disagree with regard to the editing of a book, the author almost always gets the final say over how it's done.

There is often a discussion about book jackets and how trade publishers don't give authors enough input into them: and it's true that very few authors have any right of veto over the jacket designs their publishers propose. But jacket design is a complex and specific skill-set, which few authors have; and if an author really hates their jacket, there are things they can do (Cathy C wrote a really good post about this which I'll try to find). I can see how writers would like to have control over this aspect of their book's publication; but I can also see why very few of them don't get it!

I've not had much experience with trade publishing, apart from selling a few short stories, so I don't know how much conversation goes on, or how much input there is for an author, but I really do like that sense of responsibility.
There's usually a lot of conversation, both before and after acquisition. It's essential that an acquiring editor shares the author's vision for the book, so that they're both working in the same direction; it's what makes it so difficult for authors whose books are orphaned when their acquiring editors move to a different publisher. They won't be working with the editor who loved their book enough to want to publish it, and that can be difficult.

(I get worried when I hear about publishers assigning editors to books. It happens more and more now, and is especially common in e-publishers, but I am not comfortable with it.)

Having driven so many books through the production process I know about that sense of responsibility, and the huge amount of work it requires. I am not entirely sure I'd have done so well had I been working alone; nor do I think I'd have been able to do it with a minimal budget, which I've seen many self publishers cope with. I did love the work, but it was hard.

Weird, isn't it? A lot of people would hate that. I'm not a very bossy or authoritative person in other aspects of life.
Very weird. But then we knew that about you already. Ha!

Last edited:

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
For me, creative control means something slightly different.

I write category-style romance. Until very recently that meant that I had only one potential publisher: Harlequin/Mills and Boon. They have very specific requirements for each of their lines. If my books did not fit those requirements, that was it. Things have changed a bit in the last couple of years, so there are more options. Some of my books have been published with Entangled's category lines, for instance. These have different requirements from Harlequin, but equally specific ones.

When I want to write something that does not quite fit within the guidelines for the category, there are not a lot of other potential publishers (print or e) that are interested in seeing category romances. So I self-publish them. The control I want is at the level of the story. I enjoy the other stuff too - the covers and the formatting and the marketing. But I would be happy enough without that responsibility, if a publisher wanted to take it on. In fact, I am happy enough without it for the books that are with a publisher.

The other factor in my choice to continue self-publishing in the future is sales. At the moment, my self-published books are outselling the others by about 2:1. And when you factor in the higher royalties I get for them, that becomes even more significant. I can't afford not to consider that when I decide whether to submit a manuscript to my publisher or not.

Sorry, I keep editing this because I keep thinking of other things I meant to say.

I wanted to say that while I basically agree with you, Old Hack, about not giving up creative control of your book when it's acquired by a publisher, my experience of category romance has been that there is a fairly strong push to shape your book in particular ways to make it fit better within the constraints of the line.

Last edited:

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Very weird. But then we knew that about you already. Ha!

Lol! You're not the first to say it!

There is often a discussion about book jackets and how trade publishers don't give authors enough input into them: and it's true that very few authors have any right of veto over the jacket designs their publishers propose. But jacket design is a complex and specific skill-set, which few authors have; and if an author really hates their jacket, there are things they can do (Cathy C wrote a really good post about this which I'll try to find). I can see how writers would like to have control over this aspect of their book's publication; but I can also see why very few of them don't get it!

This pretty much sums up the conundrum of self-publishing. You can't be a good self-publisher without having the ability to step back and assess your own work. You certainly can't succeed without being able to choose artwork which will market the book to the correct audience.

I'm actually going through this at the moment. I've written a YA gothic novella and decided to create my book cover. I'm pretty good at image manipulation, not amazing, but pretty good. I spent about seven hours or more going through four or five different versions of a particular cover, getting feedback from other authors, having another go etc. In the end I decided to scrap the entire concept and start again because it just wasn't conveying what I wanted it to convey. So then I had to buy another stock image and do it again.

I've seen cover designers say that it can be difficult to work with some writers because they don't know what their book needs and it makes their job uncomfortable from start to finish. A good designer will turn around and say: this isn't going to work for your genre. A savvy self-publisher will listen.

When I sent my designer some ideas and images to use on the book she ignored all the images I wanted, created her own vision and it became far better than anything I'd ever imagined. The bare bones of my suggestions were there but she was able to take it to another level.

There's a great deal of self-awareness that goes into making business choices. That's where some writers fail, and it's heart-breaking to watch.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I'm always interested in hearing from people who want full control over the publishing of their books.

I've heard the arguments that with trade publishing you give up creative control over your books, but it's just not true (and I don't think cwbrowning was suggesting that, so I won't go into lecture mode now). What many self publishers refer to, I think, is keeping creative control over their own publication, which is different and very important.

It's not something I'd necessarily relish: I've seen how much work it takes to just edit one book properly, and am overwhelmed by the idea of doing that while also doing all the other publishing stuff too, all while continuing to write other books; and I've worked as a packager, hiring in all the various people required to publish books well, and it was a very demanding job. It was also a very expensive process, albeit I was working with books which were very different to most of the ones I see talked about here (they were mostly non-fiction, highly illustrated, lavishly designed print editions).

You have my admiration. Good luck!

I also admire people who make a go of self-publishing, because the odds are so heavy against them. Every single one of the tasks the self-publisher takes on is a profession in itself; and to excel in each of those professions takes years of work and experience. Of course there are freelancers available, but you get what you pay for.

Take editing, which I know most about. I'll start with the premise that an unedited book is not worth reading. Tons of writers, published, self-published, or unpublished, call themselves editors and offer their services. Anyone can do that; there's no professional test or certification. I have several former students who unfortunately did not succeed with their own writing but are now freelance editors. Why would a writer pay for help from someone who was not able to break through to publication? Because they're cheap. When I edit a book (which I do very rarely), I might charge four times as much as they do...which makes me too expensive for most writers. And this is true of most of the real professionals ; their fees are commensurate with their experience.

If you expand this to include all the other professions that go into publishing a book--design, art, marketing, publicity, copy-editing, proofreading, subsidiary rights, advertising, etc.---it's clear that self-publishers face a difficult choice. They can truly do it all themselves, which usually results in an amateurish book -- or they can pay more than is reasonable for services. It takes a true entrepreneurial spirit with a lot of skills to succeed in this field, so hats off to those who do.

S
The problem comes when it's claimed that trade publishers take over creative control from writers by forcing changes onto their stories, or by editing their voice out of the work: that sort of thing; it's just not true that this happens. At least, not at good publishers (and we wouldn't work with bad ones, would we?). Publishers acquire books because they love them: they try to make them even better through editing and so on, but if an author and an editor disagree with regard to the editing of a book, the author almost always gets the final say over how it's done.

...it's true that very few authors have any right of veto over the jacket designs their publishers propose. But jacket design is a complex and specific skill-set, which few authors have; and if an author really hates their jacket, there are things they can do ...

Having driven so many books through the production process I know about that sense of responsibility, and the huge amount of work it requires. I am not entirely sure I'd have done so well had I been working alone; nor do I think I'd have been able to do it with a minimal budget, which I've seen many self publishers cope with. I did love the work, but it was hard.

Just want to say Yes to all this. I've never had or heard of editing changes being forced down a writer's throat, for just the reasons Old Hack cites--the editor already loves the book or he/she wouldn't have acquired it. Jackets are part of the marketing phase of publishing, which is why publishers usually have the final say; but most agented writers have the right to be consulted and have input into the cover. If the editor and writer have very different ideas about the positioning of a book, this is where that disparity is likely to emerge. I once wrote what I considered to be literary or possibly political fiction; the publisher regarded it as women's fiction, a concept that emerged only when I saw the first draft of the cover, which was pink with a rose on it. [gag]. I lost that fight, in which the jacket was just one proxy battle--the real dispute was over how the book was to be marketed, and that's definitely within the purview of the publisher.

I love it that self-publishing is now a viable option for writers. I think it has so many excellent applications that it makes me crazy when its proponents feel the need to advocate for it by denigrating trade publishing with wild stories about books and writers being tortured into a particular mold. There are plenty of valid criticisms of trade publishing, but they're not nearly as sexy as that particular bit of viral nonsense.

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
Why would a writer pay for help from someone who was not able to break through to publication? Because they're cheap. When I edit a book (which I do very rarely), I might charge four times as much as they do...which makes me too expensive for most writers. And this is true of most of the real professionals ; their fees are commensurate with their experience.

I think it's important to be careful here. I know a number of editors who work in trade publishing, and few or none of them ever harbored ambitions to be writers. They get rather irritated at the "editors are failed writers" meme, much I do when people tell me that QA is where failed software developers go (and for the same reason).

This is not to say that there aren't people who are only editing because their writing hasn't worked out. And that's not a very good reason to get into editing. But there may also be, among that population, people who found editing as one finds one's true love, or one's calling.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I run a business as my day job, so I already handle everything myself from finding clients to filing my own tax returns. Self-publishing is no different for me. I do everything I can myself and hire a professional for the rest. :)

I love it that self-publishing is now a viable option for writers. I think it has so many excellent applications that it makes me crazy when its proponents feel the need to advocate for it by denigrating trade publishing with wild stories about books and writers being tortured into a particular mold. There are plenty of valid criticisms of trade publishing, but they're not nearly as sexy as that particular bit of viral nonsense.

I'm by no means a self-publishing evangelist and fully understand that most trade publishers are run by hard-working people with good intentions, but I've heard a number of alarming stories from friends published by trade publishers. I can't really go into details in a public forum (which isn't very helpful for this discussion, I know!) but it makes me quite wary. But equally, self-publishing is full of dangers. :)

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
There is often a discussion about book jackets and how trade publishers don't give authors enough input into them: and it's true that very few authors have any right of veto over the jacket designs their publishers propose. But jacket design is a complex and specific skill-set, which few authors have

Just so.

For my first novel, I had a cover in mind. Down to the last and tiniest detail, I'd imagined it, though I knew the cover artist wouldn't appreciate getting such a lengthy description and being required to "make it so". I gave as much information as I could, asked for something "hot, but subtle" and waited.

I was disappointed with the cover, because the heroine didn't look anything like how I imagined her. Think Vivien Leigh vs. Nefertiri. Other than that it was hot and subtle and lovely, but I was still sort of bummed.

That cover has been complimented again and again. Turns out the heroine's skin and eyes fit into the color scheme perfectly, and that color scheme itself is something I would never have imagined - all dark and gold and brown. I still think of it as my Ferrero Rocher cover, good enough to eat.

I hope I get the same cover artist for my next book.

Last edited:

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com

It was, indeed, the creative control over my publication that I was referring to, OH. :) The example I used was more of an illustration of the impetus that pushed me to acknowledge a decision that I think I made long before that, but was too afraid to admit! LOL

Self-publishing is quite possibly the most frightening thing I have ever done, for all the reasons stated here. I have never worked in the industry and so I am a complete newbie to every aspect of this process, with the exception of writing and revision. The thought of all the mistakes that I will make is what kept me from making that decision for so long. That being said, self-publishing is also quite possibly the most liberating thing that I have ever done. I love having complete control of my work from the initial idea to the finished product.

...I like being in charge of the product from beginning to end and choose who to help me get it to the final stages...

Sarah summed it up perfectly. It is that total control from beginning to end that I'm enjoying. Of course I'll make mistakes. (Editing is my nemesis, and I have a horror of typos that would keep me up at night if I allowed it to...) However, if something doesn't work right or if there is an embarrassing snafu along the way, I'll have only myself to blame. Then, after hiding in a bottle of wine, I can make adjustments, correct what I did wrong, and ensure that it never happens again. ;) The responsibility is solely on me. (Sarah, I must be weird too because I love it as well LOL)

I think having total control over the whole process has a positive effect on my creativity. I know that I am thinking more in terms of “branding” now then I ever would if someone else was taking care of all of this for me. In fact, I'll take it one step further and say that I think that that awareness of marketing on this series is helping to direct where I take the series. I'm drafting the third book now and I am taking the series in a direction I don't know that I would have if I wasn't thinking of marketing in the back of my head as well. I know that this is something all writers are supposed to do, but I'm finding it opens the flood-gates of ideas for me.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the whole process! :D

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to say that while I basically agree with you, Old Hack, about not giving up creative control of your book when it's acquired by a publisher, my experience of category romance has been that there is a fairly strong push to shape your book in particular ways to make it fit better within the constraints of the line.

But this isn't an issue of losing creative control: it's more to do with making sure you've understood the implications of the deal you've been offered.

In a previous comment in this thread I wrote (now with added bolding),

It's essential that an acquiring editor shares the author's vision for the book, so that they're both working in the same direction; it's what makes it so difficult for authors whose books are orphaned when their acquiring editors move to a different publisher. They won't be working with the editor who loved their book enough to want to publish it, and that can be difficult.

(I get worried when I hear about publishers assigning editors to books. It happens more and more now, and is especially common in e-publishers, but I am not comfortable with it.)

If you've made certain your editor shares your vision of the book, then you won't be pushed to shape your book in ways which you object to: you'll expect your editor to help you to shape it in ways which will make it better for the market you're in.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm by no means a self-publishing evangelist and fully understand that most trade publishers are run by hard-working people with good intentions, but I've heard a number of alarming stories from friends published by trade publishers. I can't really go into details in a public forum (which isn't very helpful for this discussion, I know!) but it makes me quite wary. But equally, self-publishing is full of dangers. :)

I've heard some horror stories too. And you're quite right: you can't go into them right now, if it would risk betraying your friends' confidences and so on.

The huge advantage that many trade-published writers have here is the support of a great agent. There are very few agents I'd recommend; there are probably more I'd steer people away from, although they have made good sales and are successful. Having a great agent behind you is a wonderful thing, and it can make the difference between having nightmares and enjoying the whole publishing process.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you've made certain your editor shares your vision of the book, then you won't be pushed to shape your book in ways which you object to: you'll expect your editor to help you to shape it in ways which will make it better for the market you're in.

In my experience, it is not always that clear cut.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
But this isn't an issue of losing creative control: it's more to do with making sure you've understood the implications of the deal you've been offered.

Well, it's both, isn't it? The implication of the deal is that you will shape the book to fit their expectations for the line. You can decide not to take the deal, of course, but if you do, you are agreeing to give up a certain amount of control.

heza

Registered
Reaction score

I've been following these discussions, but I'm not sure I understand this point. Can you elaborate. (Someday, I might want to write cat. romance.)

So, from what I interpret from girlyswot's post--she has to write to very specific requirements in order to be accepted by any of the current category romance publishers. Sometimes, though, she wants to write a story that just doesn't fit with any of them... and to reshape it to fit one of those lines would be to write an entirely different story--one she never wanted to write and doesn't like. So the only real solution if she wants to keep the original story intact, is to self publish it and maintain that creative control.

Are you saying that category romance doesn't work that way? Are you saying it's a waste of time to be writing the stories we want to tell if there isn't a trade publisher who will accept them? Or are you saying this does happen, but you would call it something other than a "creative control" issue?

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's both, isn't it? The implication of the deal is that you will shape the book to fit their expectations for the line. You can decide not to take the deal, of course, but if you do, you are agreeing to give up a certain amount of control.

But isn't that just agreeing to write to their guidelines - which is how one chooses which agents/publishers to submit to in the first place? If your book doesn't fit the guidelines, you either rewrite so it does or go to another agent/publisher where the book fits as is. Or am I missing something?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, it is not always that clear cut.

It should be, though. Writers should talk to offering editors prior to signing their contracts to ensure they're both clear about what's wanted.

If you're clear about what will be expected in the editing phase and you sign based on that understanding, you're not being forced to give up creative control: you're agreeing to make specific changes to your work as part of that publishing contract. If you feel those changes aren't appropriate then you shouldn't sign the contract. You could look elsewhere, or choose not to publish, or choose to self publish. But not one of these options demands that a writer should make changes to their books that they're not happy with.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
So, from what I interpret from girlyswot's post--she has to write to very specific requirements in order to be accepted by any of the current category romance publishers. Sometimes, though, she wants to write a story that just doesn't fit with any of them... and to reshape it to fit one of those lines would be to write an entirely different story--one she never wanted to write and doesn't like. So the only real solution if she wants to keep the original story intact, is to self publish it and maintain that creative control.

There are other options available too: she could look for another publisher, or just not publish it.

Are you saying that category romance doesn't work that way? Are you saying it's a waste of time to be writing the stories we want to tell if there isn't a trade publisher who will accept them?

No, not at all. I'm saying that if you don't want to change your work to make it fit into a specific line then you shouldn't submit it to that specific line, and if you do submit it there and it's accepted, you shouldn't be surprised if they ask you to revise it to fit with their guidelines.

Submitting work to a publisher which has very specific requirements and then complaining that they're being unfair when they ask you to make your work conform to their requirements seems a little inappropriate.

Or are you saying this does happen, but you would call it something other than a "creative control" issue?

Writers whose work is taken on by any publisher which works in a specific niche will be expected to ensure their work fits into that niche.

If you'd rather not have to do this, don't submit work which doesn't fit to niche publishers.

But isn't that just agreeing to write to their guidelines - which is how one chooses which agents/publishers to submit to in the first place? If your book doesn't fit the guidelines, you either rewrite so it does or go to another agent/publisher where the book fits as is. Or am I missing something?

No, I think you've got that right.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
No, not at all. I'm saying that if you don't want to change your work to make it fit into a specific line then you shouldn't submit it to that specific line, and if you do submit it there and it's accepted, you shouldn't be surprised if they ask you to revise it to fit with their guidelines.

I'm not saying I am surprised by that or unwilling. But willingly agreeing to give up a certain amount of control is still giving up control. That is what I am saying.

Submitting work to a publisher which has very specific requirements and then complaining that they're being unfair when they ask you to make your work conform to their requirements seems a little inappropriate.
I have not complained, nor do I think it unfair. I have just explained why with some books I do not choose to do that.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'll start with the premise that an unedited book is not worth reading. Tons of writers, published, self-published, or unpublished, call themselves editors and offer their services. Anyone can do that; there's no professional test or certification. I have several former students who unfortunately did not succeed with their own writing but are now freelance editors. Why would a writer pay for help from someone who was not able to break through to publication? Because they're cheap.

Hold up - a writer would pay (handsomely, in many cases), for an editor who wasn't published because being published has nothing to do with being a good, decent or even competent editor.

Being able to write does not in any way convey the ability to edit, the same as being able to edit does not convey the ability to write. Some people do both well. Some people do one or the other. Many professional editors I've known don't write, had no aspirations to write, are not examples of 'those who can't do...' because they never intended to. I also know excellent writers who don't edit, because it's not within their skill set - it's a specific thing. I know people who do both well.

Judging an editor's ability or potential by his or her credits is a dire error, imo.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Yes, and I think that is one aspect of creative control - or creative freedom - which is inherent to the self-publishing process. It entails the freedom to publish the book you want to write, without having to fit within genre boundaries or publishers' guidelines or market trends or whatever else determines whether a publisher will acquire your book, however brilliantly written it is.

My point was simply that in my specific genre, there are very limited options with respect to other publishers.

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Yes, and I think that is one aspect of creative control - or creative freedom - which is inherent to the self-publishing process. It entails the freedom to publish the book you want to write, without having to fit within genre boundaries or publishers' guidelines or market trends or whatever else determines whether a publisher will acquire your book, however brilliantly written it is.

Category romance does have higher restrictions than other genres, so I agree, the author does give up a certain amount of control, even if that's by choice.

But question: if you're writing romance that doesn't fit a category, does it have to be a choice between giving up control and self-publishing? Romance publishers publish more kinds of romance than category, no?

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Category romance does have higher restrictions than other genres, so I agree, the author does give up a certain amount of control, even if that's by choice.

But question: if you're writing romance that doesn't fit a category, does it have to be a choice between giving up control and self-publishing? Romance publishers publish more kinds of romance than category, no?

Yes, they do but mine are too category in style to be anything else, really. I could choose to write something that does fit another publisher, of course (possibly, though I'm not sure I have the skills), but that's part of my point. Self-publishing gives me the freedom to publish the books I want to write.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
There are other options available too: she could look for another publisher, or just not publish it.

:/

Okay. I'm going to apologize in advance for how rambling this might sound. I'm really not trying to be argumentative (or completely dense); I'm just having trouble with the concept of what creative control really is and where it begins and ends. And later, when I start talking about why I chose to self publish, I want to make sure I understand the reasons and not represent them.

So... the idea of creative control doesn't extend to known issues of the business arrangement. If you go in knowing the publisher requires a HEA but your story doesn't, and they ask you to change it, that's not squashing your creative control. If, say, your story took place in space, and they demanded you change it to a desert, that would be stepping on your creative control... BUT editors don't ask for those kinds of changes, so it's a... strawman? Is that the word? Basically, it's worrying about something that doesn't happen.

So, basically, declining to sign with a publisher who would require you to fit into strict requirements isn't about retaining creative control, but more about finding a publisher who publishes your kind of story. And if you can't (because, say, all the romance lines require HEAs), then that's a legitimate reason to self publish...

But not being able to find a publisher who publishers your kind of story =/= retaining creative control....

Is that close? Do I seem to understand?

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

While I do sometimes choose to self-publish, the trade published books I've done have always included the editor or designer sending me two or three possible cover concepts. They listen to what I think about the concepts, and most of the time have gone with my first choice. Once they went with my second choice, and I thought the reasons they did were good reasons.

They then have sent me two or three full-wrap cover concepts, with copy.

And both publishers have gone with the version I liked best.

Cover design is not something I do. I've worked with people who were amazing, and watching them made me realize I had no intention of even trying to do the art part.

I've always hired someone who does covers for a living. And I've been glad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.