PDA

View Full Version : Have contract, but no agent

veschke
09-12-2013, 03:43 AM
Hi,

A small press wants to publish my novel. I don't have an agent. Of course it's a small contract, but I've never done this before. Every agent I would consider approaching has already rejected this novel based on my query. Do I just suck it up and go it alone?

veinglory
09-12-2013, 04:15 AM
It depends somewhat on how small the press is. Small "one guy in his mother's basement" or small "not big 5 but pays a four figure advance".

veschke
09-12-2013, 04:28 AM
In between. They're small, but staffed by professionals with industry experience, and growing. No four figure advance, though. :)

J.Reid
09-12-2013, 06:31 AM
You can consult a lawyer for an hourly fee. Also, there are some good books on contracts that you can use to make sure you aren't making mistakes (like giving up copyright)

veschke
09-13-2013, 02:55 PM
You can consult a lawyer for an hourly fee. Also, there are some good books on contracts that you can use to make sure you aren't making mistakes (like giving up copyright)

I will give that a look, then. Thanks. :)

Only Stronger
09-16-2013, 08:25 PM

Not a bad idea, though I would choose an attorney who has experience with publishing contracts. If you could talk an agent into representing you, that would get an experienced set of eyes on the contract. Granted, it may take a while to find an agent, and I am assuming that the publisher wants an answer from you in the near future. I may therefore be best to go with an attorney.

Pamvhv
09-16-2013, 08:44 PM

Make sure it's an entertainment lawyer if you go that route.

gingerwoman
09-22-2013, 04:28 AM
I would not recommend consulting any kind of lawyer for an hourly fee. I personally think it is a waste of money . Yog's law.- money flows to the author. Don't spend money you might not make back. My honest opinion is that it is being overly precious about the whole thing. You have a contract with a small press. Read it. Ask some published authors if you see anything fishy. No I don't personally think the fact they aren't lawyers matters. We aren't talking Harry Potter merchandising here. (This is purely my own opinion.)
Check out on here in bewares. Check Preditors and Editors.