PDA

View Full Version : Horror or Humor?

LOTLOF
09-11-2013, 02:03 AM
I've been busy working on the second novel of a series. The first book was a fantasy parody that has done surprisingly well. So I have been focused on the follow up and trying to make it as funny or funnier than the first.

Recently I've hit a dry patch. I find writing comedy harder than anything else. To try and keep the creative juices flowing I've spent some time working on an old horror story of mine. It involves a combination of two things all men find terrifying; vampires and obsessive women.

Writing horror has provided a good break from the second novel. It may even end up the third book I self publish. I think my tastes are a bit strange as I love both horror and humor. For some reason I tend to see both the tragedy and the folly in life.

I was just curious if as readers and writers most of you prefer horror or humor.

DanielaTorre
09-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Humor. At least with humor, reader is meant to laugh. If the reader laughs at horror, then the writer has a problem.

itsmary
09-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Humor. At least with humor, reader is meant to laugh. If the reader laughs at horror, then the writer has a problem.

Not necessarily. Some horror is intentionally meant to be humorous.

And if humor is done badly, it's boring. But if horror is done badly, it can still be humorous. So I largely prefer horror.

Phaeal
09-11-2013, 03:54 PM
I like 'em both. And, after all, one of the functions of humor is to put the everyday horrors of life at enough of a remove so we can achieve a few moments of comic relief.

seun
09-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Horror although there's nothing wrong with a right larf.

robertbevan
09-11-2013, 04:45 PM
I've never been much into horror. So I'm going to go with humor.

I write comedy/fantasy. I've often heard people say that writing comedy is hard. I'm not sure how I feel about that. For me, I think trying to write something serious would be much harder.

Maybe it's hard if you go into it with the intention of 'constructing jokes'. I've read books in which I suspected that's what the author was doing, and they didn't really work for me.

The strategy that works best for me is just knowing my characters. If I leave them to their own devices for five minutes, I know they're going to be neck-deep in trouble, and that it's going to be hilarious.