Agent response time QUESTION.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pviteritti

Registered
Reaction score
Four agents requested my full ms about three months ago, one requested the full after reading the partial. I've been in contact with all four at least once or twice, and I know two have already read the book but not responded yet. Does anyone know the process? If its a good sign to wait this long? I've never waited this long for a response before.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Three months is a normal amount of time to wait. It's neither good nor bad, it's a pretty common length of time to wait for a full response.

Keep waiting patiently, try to resist the urge to contact the agents, and good luck.

pviteritti

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I know how long it takes. I've been writing and rewriting and dealing with agents for 10 years, but I've never waited that long AFTER the agent has read the full MS.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes they just get busy. Fingers crossed for you and welcome to the boards.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I know how long it takes. I've been writing and rewriting and dealing with agents for 10 years, but I've never waited that long AFTER the agent has read the full MS.

I had a query a month or so ago that went to a second agent for review. (It was still a rejection, but you can't win them all.) Could be the agency has "acquisitions" meetings. Or the agent is consulting with one of the principles/another colleague to confirm that this is something they want to take on.

I remember reading that when junior agents make an offer, the contract has to be reviewed by a senior agent. I'd imagine there's some sort of review at the pre-offer stage too.

Or, you know, they could just be really busy with their existing clients at the moment. Or they're considering giving you a Revise & Resubmit offer and want to make sure they've a clear idea of what changes they want to see.

pviteritti

Registered
Reaction score
One thing I've learned after 'coming close' and going through revisions and rejections with past projects, it's that when an agent doesn't like it, they don't waste time rejecting you. So, if it was read already by two of the agents - that I know - and still not rejected, I'm hoping it's making it to a conference room or something like that. I'm hoping, and also trying to convince myself and contain my sanity to not contact any of them.

bmstanford09

Registered
Reaction score
Not an agent, but I would say that any time they are still considering you is good, but there's nothing wrong with playing it safe and sending it out to a few more agents just in case?

From my personal experience, and bear in mind it is only one of rejection. If they don't like it, they usually tell you pretty quickly. . . even after they have requested partial or full submissions.

Good luck! Hope you get picked up by one of them :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is that they are thinking about what changes would make it saleable and whether it is close enough for them to offer.

pviteritti

Registered
Reaction score
Agents like to reject fast and move on - that I know. I'm hoping something caught their eye. It's just torture to see the weeks pass. You're mind gets the best of you and you find yourself writing an email then deleting it before you send it...

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, some agents will no-response reject even a requested MS.

There's no way of knowing why something is taking "forever," unless the agent or editor in question tells you. Again, some will, some won't. My opinion: nudge once after a couple months to make sure the requested material arrived, then forget about it. Speculation about the "whys" can be masochistic fun, but writing the next book is more productive. ;)

pviteritti

Registered
Reaction score
I've been in contact w all of them. They've all read it or were reading it several weeks ago.

Coupland

Registered
Reaction score
Did I see agent and fast in the same sentence up there? ;)

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I think about it like this: when I'm shopping (bear with me ;)) and I try something on, if I love an item my descion is made lightning quick. If I don't? Quick. If I WANT to love it but something is off, I stand in front of the mirror for a while looking at it from different angles, I fidget and play and think about what I'd wear with it etc. Sometimes I buy, sometimes I don't. I often think its like that with agents. When they want to love something but they're unsure, they ponder and ask other opinions and consider edits etc etc. Sometimes they'll bite and sometimes they won't.

Of course, there are a lot of things that can cause agents to take extra time with something so its hard to say, but when I suspect an agent is just sitting on something that's what I think is happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.