Do organized sports belong in US schools?

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Well, at the schools I attended, and schools that my friends attended, not only were sports not a huge deal, although football teams still tended to get the biggest audience, but there was a focus on academics. A focus that got kids into the classroom or study hall who might not otherwise have done it. Many schools have academic requirements for sports teams, up to and including delayed and cancelled practices, cuts, study halls, etc for under-performing students. And many teams have collective members with high gpas.

There are so many other factors involved, it's really silly to point to sports as a whole as the issue. You could certainly consider it as a strong factor in individual schools or regions. But to suggest taking sports out of American schools wholesale is not something I support. If nothing else, mandatory participation schools encourage healthier living through exercise!

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, because they help keep some at-risk kids out of trouble.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
IN Canada, the most gung-ho sport here is ice hockey. There are no hockey teams in high school. The hockey development leagues are completely independent and if one reaches the major-juniors, they earn a stipend. Colleges do have sports teams, however attendance is fairly meagre when it comes to fans. The big games are always in the Pros or the juniors.

Soccer and baseball share a similar setup, although the steps between the development leagues and the big league is still lacking.

Football and basketball are different stories. We do have high school teams, alongside swimming, waterpolo, rugby and volleyball. They do not receive the same volume of funds nor do their attendance numbers impress, but they do hold disruptive tournaments and training sessions. But it does not dominate nor does it leave one tending to feel neglected if they are big into arts, computers, sciences or shop.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe because it was a small school (my graduating class had 72 students) but most of the kids who took part in sports were also the ones who did well academically and took part in other non-sport extra-curriculars as well. And kids who didn't take part in sports weren't considered "lesser" students or nerds. I think a lot it is just how the school approaches things.

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
Schools have already begun the slow strangle of the emotional release valve by killing art programs. It wouldn't surprise me if they started squeezing physical programs because, you know, obesity rates. Sit and memorize your facts, kids, we have a test to pass.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Sport isn't the issue or the problem.

Ask Juan Williams.

Juan Williams said:
The latest statistics show only 63 percent of Chicago public school student graduating in 2013 and that is an increase over recent years. Among the city’s 8th grade students 79 percent are not at reading level. Meanwhile, Lewis’ union has made Chicago’s public school teachers among the highest in the nation at an annual average of $74,839.

But the only school reform Lewis advocates is higher taxes on Chicago’s property owners and she describes it as a tax hike on upper-income whites. She also wants new taxes on all financial transfers as well as a commuter tax, which she concludes will principally impact, once again, the target of her anger, well-to-do whites.

I am not an opponent of collective bargaining. But the organizations that represent collective bargaining these days are impediments to progress and reform. Not participants.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Sport isn't the issue or the problem.

Ask Juan Williams.

I am not an opponent of collective bargaining. But the organizations that represent collective bargaining these days are impediments to progress and reform. Not participants.

Ah yes, that old windmill. Do those wages reflect the cost of living in Chicago? The teachers in Chicago make roughly as much as they do in Edmonton, FYI.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Ah yes, that old windmill. Do those wages reflect the cost of living in Chicago? The teachers in Chicago make roughly as much as they do in Edmonton, FYI.

And nothing at all about the second paragraph, eh? Nothing about wanting to tax white people?

I remind you the article linked in the OP reported Poland's success spending less than half of what we do per student.

There is, if any, an almost reverse correlation between spending per student and academic success. Washington D.C., Chicago, New York City, L.A., virtually all of the biggest urban school systems rank way above average (or mean) in spending per student, and rank way down the list in academic performance.

Money isn't the answer, any more than sports (or cutting them) is.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I actually think it matters less how much money there is and more what it is being spent on. If you sink most of your school budget into metal detectors and security cameras, shockingly, your students will not learn that much from the defensive fortifications.

Save, of course, that school is somewhat analogous to prison...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Here they aren't organized sport teams except for the really expensive schools, same deal with anything extracurricular. No clubs or any other activities than 7 or 8 subjects. Also, school is a part-time affair for some reason (7:30 am to 1 pm in high school, for example) and I find it quite dire. But not as dire as the tales of US high schools we tend to get from those herenwho studied there. Seriously, we're baffled by pep rallies and whatnot.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Here they aren't organized sport teams except for the really expensive schools, same deal with anything extracurricular. No clubs or any other activities than 7 or 8 subjects. Also, school is a part-time affair for some reason (7:30 am to 1 pm in high school, for example) and I find it quite dire. But not as dire as the tales of US high schools we tend to get from those herenwho studied there. Seriously, we're baffled by pep rallies and whatnot.

Heh, you're not the only ones. I don't know that I've ever met anyone who attended an actual pep rally. I mean I probably have, as an adult, and it just never came up, but my h.s. had no such thing, dunno anyone else's that did at the time.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I just had to google pep rally.

The horror. The horror.

Last edited:

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score

Here it's from 7:15 AM (or so) to 1 PM. That's quite enough. 45-minute or 90-minute classes, five minute breaks in between, one 15-minute break for lunch. Clearly it's not the issue, we can always go back to Finland - where teachers work considerably fewer hours, they spend less money per student, and yet look at them.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
How in the hell would schools teach blind loyalty to the group, vicious othering of one's opponents, the true value of brawn over brains (what's the attendance at the scholastics award ceremony vs. homecoming?), and such homilies as "to the victor go the spoils" (translation: the quarterback and center get the hot, easy chicks) and "some animals are more equal than others" (the authorities turn a blind eye if "boys will be boys" and some girl gets abused as a result) if it weren't for organized sports in schools?

Not to mention the importance of physical conditioning and deference to the team structure necessary to prepare a new generation as cannon fodder to feed our politician's lust for empire.

...and how's that fit in with the whole "education is a public good" thingie, anyway? Shouldn't the focus be on delivering the public good instead of throwing distractions in the way?

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
And nothing at all about the second paragraph, eh? Nothing about wanting to tax white people?

First, it seems at best a side matter to the topic at hand.

Second, there is no sign that that was a real comment. To assert that the person cited said it is false attribution.

There is no direct quote, either in your citation or in the linked Fox News article, to indicate that that is actually what this person said or intended.

The only direct quote from that person in that article was “Rich white people think they know what’s in the best interest of children of African-Americans and Latinos, no matter what the parents’ income or educational level.”

That seems to be a reference to privileged people steamrollering over other people's understanding of their own children's needs.

It is hardly a controversial comment, although the reporter seems infuriated by it.

The comments about taxes are all the reporter's own analysis and assertions with no facts or quotes to back them up.

And the whole thing is a sideline, a distraction, even, from this topic.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Chicago is a racist city, especially the Machine. I've watched people get ground into the mould as they climb up and become made. To enter is to accept the racism, to accept the racist and sexist jokes, to deny people who have not made themselves. There is a lot of exclusion going on there.

I remind you the article linked in the OP reported Poland's success spending less than half of what we do per student.

And Canada has similar results to Poland. And Poland has a different cost of living.

There is, if any, an almost reverse correlation between spending per student and academic success. Washington D.C., Chicago, New York City, L.A., virtually all of the biggest urban school systems rank way above average (or mean) in spending per student, and rank way down the list in academic performance.

The places where education is spent the most has the highest cost of living. These places also have significant gaps in terms of inequality.

Money isn't the answer, any more than sports (or cutting them) is.

So why did you bring it up?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Chicago is a racist city, especially the Machine. I've watched people get ground into the mould as they climb up and become made. To enter is to accept the racism, to accept the racist and sexist jokes, to deny people who have not made themselves. There is a lot of exclusion going on there.

True and not true.

Chicago is a city of three million people, six million including the suburbs.

Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the US -- apart from my neighborhood which is strongly integrated.

The Chicago Machine is racist, but also much diminished in power.

Chicagoans do not en masse accept racism, or sexism, or the Machine.

The current Cook County Board president is a black woman, a reformer and progressive who was never a part of the Machine.

The current US President is a black man from Chicago who was also never a part of the Machine.

Both of those people's houses are less than ten minute's walk from my house.

Chicago has many problems with racism and exclusion, but it is not monolithic.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
So why did you bring it up?

What I pointed out was yet another education "leader" coming up with more non-answers that will accomplish nothing but driving out the very people she wants to use as a source of funds.

Ms. Lewis called for a “progressive tax” that would tax the wealthier at a greater rate compared to the state’s flat-rate income tax, the Chicago Tribune reported. She also proposed a new financial transfer tax and a commuter tax.

Asked if the city schools also should boost property taxes, Lewis said, “Yes. If you look at a majority of the tax base for property taxes in Chicago, they’re mostly white, who don’t have a real interest in paying for the education of poor black and brown children. We don’t want to say that out loud.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/19/union-boss-karen-lewis-blames-rich-white-people-ch/

I don't know if you noticed, but *I* noticed not a single word on what these proposed taxes will do to or for education. I looked through a dozen links after googling "Karen Lewis reform." I saw not one proposal, through right-wing *and* left-wing sites, that actually reforms anything.

And at each of those urban districts, you're going to find a similar lack of focus on actually fixing education.

Karen Lewis inadvertently bumped into a truth when she spoke of the status quo. She was simply pointing in the wrong direction. She *should* be pointing at her own organization, at school administration, *and* at parents.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you noticed, but *I* noticed not a single word on what these proposed taxes will do to or for education.

Probably because they are talking about budgets. It's a bit difficult to talk about education when you are talking about looking at whether the revenue streams are being correctly represented or tapped. She may be wrong, whatever, but a budget is a budget.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, because they help keep some at-risk kids out of trouble.

Agree with this. And even non-high risk kids who get bored do stupid things.

I see huge motivation in my teenage son and his teammates to stay fit and healthy--healthy food, active lifestyle, keeping the grades up (requirement to play), let alone staying away from drugs and alcohol--so that they can play well. Sports are fun and satisfying, teach teamwork and discipline... it's not all about "we're gonna kick that other team's ass..." IME.

And, if sports were only available through private clubs, lots of families couldn't afford it.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Of course. Chicago is not the worst in this regard.

I didn't mean to say that at all. I meant to say that not all parts of Chicago are like that.

The argument that the habits other people/places are worse than one's own bad habits is, to my eye, a cop-out from one's responsibility to improve things.

But a blanket condemnation of an entire people or place should be examined.